Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
May 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,761 of 4,451
Hi!

Does anyone know if the new NFB-7 would also improve as much with an USB / i2S converter, as opposed to using the USB directly? Can the DI-2014 also be used into the NFB-7? 

I'm on the fence for either a NFB-7, my preferred choice so far given my detail-oriented tastes (currently own a NFB 3-2014), or the Master 7, which I would initially use only with USB direct as I could not afford an expensive USB / i2S converter at the same time. The difference in price between both models warrant the NFB-7 a better investment as that difference could pay for a class converter, assuming its impact in the NFB-7 is as much as that reported with the Master 7.

Thanks for any assistance.

May 9, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2,762 of 4,451
Hi!

Does anyone know if the new NFB-7 would also improve as much with an USB / i2S converter, as opposed to using the USB directly? Can the DI-2014 also be used into the NFB-7? 

I'm on the fence for either a NFB-7, my preferred choice so far given my detail-oriented tastes (currently own a NFB 3-2014), or the Master 7, which I would initially use only with USB direct as I could not afford an expensive USB / i2S converter at the same time. The difference in price between both models warrant the NFB-7 a better investment as that difference could pay for a class converter, assuming its impact in the NFB-7 is as much as that reported with the Master 7.

Thanks for any assistance.

I have done one to one comparison between NFB-7 and Master-7. The NFB-7 is very nice and it would be difficult to find something better for this money. However it is my opinion it cannot beat the much more expensive in many ways. The resolution of the M7 is incredible good with a natural drive and punch. I love it! The DI fits on both the NFB-7 and the M7. My advise is to save money for the M7 first and add a DI if you want later on, rather than buy a NFB-7 and DI.

The DI will have effect on both NFB-7 and M7 however the M7 will simply benefit more from it.
Still, NFB-7 is a pleasure to listen.
My two cents....

May 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2,763 of 4,451
Excellent information, thank you so much! This is what I'm looking for, exactly. Just a couple more questions, if I may:

1. I'm concerned the Master 7 may be too warm or laid back or slow, relative to the NFB-7, as per some people's descriptions in this forum. According to Kingwa, though, both have the same level of detail resolution, but he concedes the Master 7 is richer, with more body and deeper, tighter bass, and sounds more 'real' (whatever that means).

My system is already warm, so I don't need laid back or warmth. Of course, aside from this requirement, I would love to get the slam, speed and PRAT, as well as the realism. Any thoughts based on your hands-on experience?

2. The price difference between the DI-2014 and the Off Ramp 5, is huge! Is the end result that different between those two alternatives? Is the Off Ramp 5 worth all that much in the Master 7 case?

3. Now that the Schiit Yggdrasil is making waves and at the same ball park cost of the Master 7, do you think it would be prudent to jump on that boat instead, rather than sticking with a device that has so many followers like the Audio Gd flagships?

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

May 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2,764 of 4,451
  Excellent information, thank you so much! This is what I'm looking for, exactly. Just a couple more questions, if I may:

1. I'm concerned the Master 7 may be too warm or laid back or slow, relative to the NFB-7, as per some people's descriptions in this forum. According to Kingwa, though, both have the same level of detail resolution, but he concedes the Master 7 is richer, with more body and deeper, tighter bass, and sounds more 'real' (whatever that means).

My system is already warm, so I don't need laid back or warmth. Of course, aside from this requirement, I would love to get the slam, speed and PRAT, as well as the realism. Any thoughts based on your hands-on experience?

2. The price difference between the DI-2014 and the Off Ramp 5, is huge! Is the end result that different between those two alternatives? Is the Off Ramp 5 worth all that much in the Master 7 case?

3. Now that the Schiit Yggdrasil is making waves and at the same ball park cost of the Master 7, do you think it would be prudent to jump on that boat instead, rather than sticking with a device that has so many followers like the Audio Gd flagships?

Thanks again for your valuable feedback.

Try to find a Audiobyte Hydra X (non + version). It will work with Master 7 on I2S. And it's sounds way better than the M7 inbuild USB by a quite a big margin. Soundstage takes on a more depth(like a concert hall) vs the short depth of the M7 USB, Treble is also much more defined. You must use really good I2S HDMI Cable for best sound.

As for M7 vs Ygg. I think there is bound to be differences. Audio-gd filters and Oversampling mode can be customized to suit your listening taste, while Ygg has no adjustments. Also M7 will really pair well with another audiogd amp via ACSS. However Ygg doesn't require USB to I2S converter to sound better, which saves alot of $.

Imho M7 + M9 ACSS is much much better than M7 + M9 via XLR. More clarity and Very Neutral sound. XLR sounds more V shape(might be cable dependent)

May 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #2,765 of 4,451
I compared  M7 - M8   XLR vs ACSS    And I'd hear almost no difference with an audeze LCD-3. I may be imagining that I heard less noise from ACSS.  If I blind test it, i wouldn't be able to pick that up.

May 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #2,766 of 4,451
I was thinking, instead of using a digital interface for the I2S, this can be bypassed by a card such as rasberry pi, pink faun, or others? Then we get benefit of M7 clock and processing istead of DI2014 or OR5 etc. Wouldn't this be a better and cleaner solution since we're getting rid of one additional component in the signal path, and an additional re-clock? 

May 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #2,767 of 4,451
I compared  M7 - M8   XLR vs ACSS    And I'd hear almost no difference with an audeze LCD-3. I may be imagining that I heard less noise from ACSS.  If I blind test it, i wouldn't be able to pick that up.

Have you tried with studio monitor speakers instead of lcd3, which isnt particularly resolving as it tends to keep its own planar sound signature.

May 10, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #2,768 of 4,451
  I was thinking, instead of using a digital interface for the I2S, this can be bypassed by a card such as rasberry pi, pink faun, or others? Then we get benefit of M7 clock and processing istead of DI2014 or OR5 etc. Wouldn't this be a better and cleaner solution since we're getting rid of one additional component in the signal path, and an additional re-clock? 

This is what I am testing at this moment. It won't work with all I2S by default because the Master-7 requires a "master-clock", so it does not work with Rasberry pi out of the box. 

I have currently a modified Bluesound (NAD) Node with I2S output (HDMI) with Tentlabs low jitter clocks and Regulators. This modification is new from Magna Hifi (Netherlands) and not yet on their website. I can tell you it is very good! Open, detail...wow! Very convenient streaming device supporting all music services. Including mod they sell it for ~850 Euro (incl. 21% VAT). 

May 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #2,771 of 4,451
Right, thanks.

Just to round this up, I've decided to get the Yggy. After DACLadder having tested and enjoyed the Master 7 for 2.5 years, as he put it, he's overwhelmed with the improvements coming from the Yggy, so I'll just take his experience as a guide here. Cost-wise, these are equivalent, stock, but the M7 requires further conversion gadgets that push the price upwards, so its no contest anymore ... I'm sure the M7 is still a great DAC anyway, but Kingwa better update his USB interface design to keep himself at the front. Thanks to all for your kind support!

PS: I'll soon be selling my Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014), which still sounds great, but I just want to get to that higher level.

May 12, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,772 of 4,451

This is what I am testing at this moment. It won't work with all I2S by default because the Master-7 requires a "master-clock", so it does not work with Rasberry pi out of the box. 

I have currently a modified Bluesound (NAD) Node with I2S output (HDMI) with Tentlabs low jitter clocks and Regulators. This modification is new from Magna Hifi (Netherlands) and not yet on their website. I can tell you it is very good! Open, detail...wow! Very convenient streaming device supporting all music services. Including mod they sell it for ~850 Euro (incl. 21% VAT). 

Have you tested any cards like Pink Faun? I searched this thread and it looks like people have had success with the Pink Faun, also some others mentioned. 

I'm glad you're having good luck with the Bluesound Node and it sounds this good. Is it a streamer? I'm currently using just DI2014 which is a good interface. Works flawlessly with any DAC I try and sounds great with M7.

But I am anxious about the clock with USB. I understand the USB signal is sending the clock information along with frequency information. I am probably misunderstanding, but the I2S transmits the data information separately from the clock. If this is true then to my knowledge it's best to just send the I2S from the source, with either on board clock or is possible, some dedicated outside clock? Avoid the USB/SPDIF signals...

May 13, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,774 of 4,451
  Have you tested any cards like Pink Faun? I searched this thread and it looks like people have had success with the Pink Faun, also some others mentioned. 

I'm glad you're having good luck with the Bluesound Node and it sounds this good. Is it a streamer? I'm currently using just DI2014 which is a good interface. Works flawlessly with any DAC I try and sounds great with M7.

But I am anxious about the clock with USB. I understand the USB signal is sending the clock information along with frequency information. I am probably misunderstanding, but the I2S transmits the data information separately from the clock. If this is true then to my knowledge it's best to just send the I2S from the source, with either on board clock or is possible, some dedicated outside clock? Avoid the USB/SPDIF signals...

Yes I did and Pink Faun bridge is also very nice. Personally I would prefer a steaming device and not a PC. The Bluesound Node is the little brother of the NAD M50 streamer. Same ARM processor, same software.There are differences of course...not only the price :) The HDMI output of the modified Bluesound Node is connected straight to my Master-7. Shortest signal path, less encoding and decoding steps compared to USB. The application of this streamer is very convenient (runs on Apple and Android) and it supports Spotify connect (and lots of other streaming services such as Deezer) which I use to discover new music. I have clearly better results with this I2S streamer than I have with the CD-Player via SPDIF or PC via DI - USB - Master-7. More open soundstage, more detail...everything is just better.

May 13, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #2,775 of 4,451
I have both OR5 fully specced with Dynamo PSU and Gustard U12. Both work as is via i2s hdmi with M7. OR5 is expensive but also the best sounding option (to my taste) of the two, but the Gustard is cheap (about $150 om ebay) and a big improvement over the native agd USB32 interface. The music gets more detailed and well defined. I recommend you try it. Usually sellers offer 15 day return option if you are not happy with it. I kept mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back