Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Mar 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #2,731 of 4,451
  If I purchase the Master 7 with HDMI I lose the USB port (which is a huge minus for me) if I ever wanted to use the Master 7 without the Di-2014 I couldn't. 

Why specifically is HDMI preferred over rj45? If it's based on cables alone, I don't subscribe to the idea that different types of cables make stuff sound better, it's all copper, with good shielding it's all the same. 

Oh oh there are two HDMI configurations for  Master-7,  the one that replaces the usb input,  and the other that replaces the rj45 input port. The DI-2014 can have the rj45 i2s port replaced by the HDMI-out, you could ask to make both compatible with king-wa or ask him directly.

The reason is that rj45 has more jitter than HDMI, dacladder did some testings and he could help comment about this.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,732 of 4,451

Oh oh there are two HDMI configurations for  Master-7,  the one that replaces the usb input,  and the other that replaces the rj45 input port. The DI-2014 can have the rj45 i2s port replaced by the HDMI-out, you could ask to make both compatible with king-wa or ask him directly.

The reason is that rj45 has more jitter than HDMI, dacladder did some testings and he could help comment about this.

Very informative thank you! If I can have it configured as you described I'll ask king-wa about it. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #2,733 of 4,451
  Very informative thank you! If I can have it configured as you described I'll ask king-wa about it. 

Yeah, the idea is Ask Kingwa to:

1. Replace rj45 output on DI-2014 to HDMI ouput
2. Replace rj45 input on Master-7 to HDMI input.
3. Configure the internal wiring on each HDMI modules (input(master-7) and output(di-2014)) so they are tested together and are compatible.

Note: never hot plug or unplug the hdmi cables, always have both di-2014 and master-7 off before pluging or unpluging.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,734 of 4,451

I think you have it...  The Master 7 responds well to low jitter sources and HDMI I2S is superior to RJ45 in that regard.  AGD even has a two I2S input option of dropping USB32 and replacing it with an HDMI I2S board while keeping the RJ45 I2S input or another HDMI I2S board in the Input #5 position.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,735 of 4,451
  Thanks for all the help man. I also found out XLR female to RCA male cables exit. So I don't have to run the lower 2.5v RCA off the Master 7. My final setup will look like this

Desktop -> USB -> Di2014(upgraded tcxo) -> I2S (rj45) -> Master 7 -> XLR female to RCA male -> WA7 -> HD800

I already put in a quote 
atsmile.gif

As far as I know you will not gain anything by using a XLR to RCA cables and chances is high that it will sound meh and if unlucky destroy the amp. To make a XLR to RCA cables one needs to know which kind of balanced that is used because they use different pins for ground, live and neutral. Is the Master 7 an impedance balanced, transformer balanced or active balanced? You also need to make sure the amp can take the higher V if carry on with this XLR-RCA converting.  

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #2,736 of 4,451

As far as I know you will not gain anything by using a XLR to RCA cables and chances is high that it will sound meh and if unlucky destroy the amp. To make a XLR to RCA cables one needs to know which kind of balanced that is used because they use different pins for ground, live and neutral. Is the Master 7 an impedance balanced, transformer balanced or active balanced? You also need to make sure the amp can take the higher V if carry on with this XLR-RCA converting.  

No worries, I can go back to my original idea of using the 2.5v RCA out to my WA7. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #2,737 of 4,451
  No worries, I can go back to my original idea of using the 2.5v RCA out to my WA7. 

I would recommend that. I tried to use XLR>RCA cables from my M7 to my non-balanced amp but gained more bass than expected. It was strange. . The RCA-RCA connection is better in my case.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,738 of 4,451

I would recommend that. I tried to use XLR>RCA cables from my M7 to my non-balanced amp but gained more bass than expected. It was strange. . The RCA-RCA connection is better in my case.

You can use a Jensen transformer to match the impedance of the balanced outputs to the single ended inputs on the amp.  I have one that I used for my Naim pre-amp and amp with my Auralic Vega DAC.  Works great.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,739 of 4,451
I have ordered a Audio-GD Master 7 with I2S AND USB connections
What a lot of people don't know is that this is also possible, it's maybe not on their site
but if you ask for it they will make it for you.

my setup is like this:
HTPC (PinkFaun I2S Bridge) > HDMI >Master 7 (i2S) > ACSS> Master 10

It sounds very open, and detailed

Audio Dandy

http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master-7.htm

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,742 of 4,451
  Noticeable if you go the Offramp + I2S route. More like a side-grade otherwise, honestly.
They both are kinda polarized DACs, with a distinct flavor to the sound.

I partly agree: The new USB drivers are good and even without I2S route I would not call it a side-grade. To me the Master-7 is more neutral and organic compared to Metrum Octave. Especially the solving ability is better. The Metrum Octave is good and considering the price it is very good but I prefer the Master-7. (On both SPDiF and USB)

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #2,743 of 4,451
Sounds like a tough choice!
I'm using a Squeezebox Touch with TT3.0, EDO (USB output up to 192KHz) and TeraDak PSU as a digital source, digital cable is an Apogee Wyde Eye.

The price difference is enormous - I can get around €600 for my Octave but I'll have to buy the Master 7 brand new which costs €2155.
Spending €1555 for a side-grade isn't the most brilliant idea :wink:

Also the offramp is another $1200, that's a no go. Way out of my budget.

+
By the way, what about the Sabre based NFB-7?

My goal is extreme resolution in the mid and high range and tight bass (I run a bi-amped JBL hybrid-4343)
The Octave is nice but the mid is a bit pushed forward to my taste, also I miss some sprakle in the highs (NOS?).

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,744 of 4,451

I partly agree: The new USB drivers are good and even without I2S route I would not call it a side-grade. To me the Master-7 is more neutral and organic compared to Metrum Octave. Especially the solving ability is better. The Metrum Octave is good and considering the price it is very good but I prefer the Master-7. (On both SPDiF and USB)

Yes, the USB drivers have come a long long way.  I think the current version is better than using a Audiophilleo with battery (or any other converter) into the BNC input.  That said you can't beat the I2S input on this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back