Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Oct 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #77 of 4,449
I think it's pretty cleaver to have different chips on different inputs.  And having an RCA in changed to BNC is only like $10 and doesn't cause a delay.  Though I'd think they use BNC standard on the higher data rate signals.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #80 of 4,449
  • Hi,
    I'm pretty new to this forum and i wanted to know if anyone has compared the Ref 7 to the Eximus DP1 or has an opinion as to which of the two sounds better. I'm guessing that this is going to be highly subjective but i would be thankful for any opinion.
    Cheers...Ane

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #81 of 4,449
Quote:
Quote:
There's another reclocker, I don't remember the make or the exact issue but it had several outputs including AES.  The manufacture themselves stated that they would rate AES the lowest quality signal. Something like it needed to be buffered then converted to an AES signal or something...  I'm not sure how or why their implamentation would be different than others it sounds like though AES may be the best for long paths, it's not the best to have a signal converted into.

I2S can be directly connected to a DAC chip, so it does not have digital signal conversion like AES. But it really comes down to implementation.

It probably comes down to the quality of the transformers used. You could always upgrade them to Lundahl on both ends for better AES performance. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #84 of 4,449
Hi all,
I'm intrigued by all of audio gd's options and am not sure i appreciate the differences between all of their hi end dacs.
My first thought is, given that you can add volume to all the audio gd dacs (right?) can you then use it as a pre amp as well and just hook up an amp?

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #87 of 4,449
Any more impressions of the Master 7? Particularly on the key differences in sound as compared to the Ref 7.1?

I'm tempted to upgrade from the Ref 7.1 to the Master 7 but would like to know if the Master 7 is indeed a clear step up from the Ref 7.1 and in what ways?  

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #88 of 4,449
Well im surprised at the lack of input here....But I have it on good authority that at least 2 people I know own the Master 7 and they both feel its the best Dac Kingwa has produced....Its a work of art.....

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #89 of 4,449
I got my Master 7 exactly 2 months ago. The last weeks I have been busy moving to a new house, so not much time for "listening". As with all Audio-gd stuff: don't listen to it after at least a few hundred hours of burn-in. So I let it play in the corner of my new listening room for a few weeks. I upgraded from a Ref.7 DAC.
After about 500 hours on my Master 7, this weekend I decided to A-B the DACs for a few hours. I listened through the HP and the speaker setup. Source was my PC via USB (WinAMP-ASIO) and my Transporter via AES-XLR digital out. Music was 16/44 to 24/192. My 42 years old ears could not distinguish any difference between them.
My guess is that this is as good as it gets (for my ears)...

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #90 of 4,449
Quote:
I got my Master 7 exactly 2 months ago. The last weeks I have been busy moving to a new house, so not much time for "listening". As with all Audio-gd stuff: don't listen to it after at least a few hundred hours of burn-in. So I let it play in the corner of my new listening room for a few weeks. I upgraded from a Ref.7 DAC.
After about 500 hours on my Master 7, this weekend I decided to A-B the DACs for a few hours. I listened through the HP and the speaker setup. Source was my PC via USB (WinAMP-ASIO) and my Transporter via AES-XLR digital out. Music was 16/44 to 24/192. My 42 years old ears could not distinguish any difference between them.
My guess is that this is as good as it gets (for my ears)...

To be honest, I'm not surprised. I think this particular DAC is limited by the transport, which is why I have invested more money into that than I have in the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back