Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #422 of 4,451
Quote:
Here are my findings on the Master 7 and the PWD2. 

This has been a really hard fish to fry.  Both DACs are really good at what they do.  This is like a heavy weight fight going the distance of all 15 rounds.

I’ll be using the GS-X mk2 / HD800 and the F1J / HE-6 combinations.  These are some badass combos.

[size=16.0pt]Music choices consists of:[/size]
Bye Bye Blackbird - Rachelle Ferrell
Love Me Like A Man – Diana Krall
Crash – Patricia Barber
Blue Skies – Cassandra Wilson
Kind of blue – Miles Davis
Cheek to Cheek – Eva Cassidy
Sterophlie Test CDs 1, 2, and 3
HD Tracks Open Your Ears 24/96
2L The Nardic Sound 24/192

[size=14.0pt]Master 7:[/size]
Yup, this is a very neutral and transparent DAC or should I say it’s very realistic, or more smooth and analog opposed to digital sounding.  You might as well call the Master 7 “Houdini”, because it performs a better disappearing act than any other DAC I've heard. The Master 7 has no bass, midrange, or treble emphasis, it’s just neutral.  

This amp is very resolving, fast, accurate, detailed and well extended at both ends of the spectrum.  Patricia Barber has some really fast passages in a few of her songs.  The Master 7 delivers them right on queue.  The sound stage on this amp has to be my favorite; it’s extremely expansive, the width of the stage is very wide and the depth extends further back like no other.  The instrument placement left right, front-back is extremely accurate and detailed.  It sounds like instruments are just plucked out of the air with dead on accuracy while keeping a solid center stage.   This is what makes this DAC the perfect match for the HD800 IMO.

The treble really does extend out - and it’s as smooth as butter.  While listening to Kind of Blue I knew of a few tracks where the sounds of Miles Davis trumpet would just feel like an ice pick going into my head on other DACs.  This time it didn’t.  I was like YEAH…. Now I can listen to Miles Davis and not get a headache.  The highs are just liquid, and the low are just solid.  Rachelle Ferrell’s vocal sounded silky smooth while Miles trumpet was appropriately sharp and Eva Cassidy’s voice was such an emotional gem when played through such a transparent system.

I was afraid of the bass at first.  I was getting a few sneak peaks of listening in the first few hours.  It sounded very thin and lifeless – kind of shrill.  I was like MAN what the Hell is this?   The PWD2 came out the box with Full on BASS.  So I let about a week and a half past by playing nothing but bass sweep.  It probably didn’t need all that.  It just needed some time.  For this amp patience is really a virtue.  It now sounds full and clean, the bass quality is great, also the upper bass / lower mid regions are clear as day.  I still say the PWD2 wins in the bass quantity department but the Master 7 is not far behind at all as it controls the lower frequencies very well.  You really won’t notice the difference unless you do some bass frequency sweeps.  Or listen to bass heavy music.  The bass on this DAC is just fine.  No need to worry.

The Master 7 is a very neutral DAC, what’s ever on the musical recording is what this DAC will give you.  I put on some Hard Core Rap Music that has tons of Bass.  The Master 7 didn’t disappoint one bit.  It has such control over the lower frequencies that it makes everything sound so clear, crisp, and really clean.  The bass on the Master 7 is extremely neutral by that I mean no emphases in the lower regions at all, just a clean and clear bass response.   However, it lacks PRaT and Soul.  This is the perfect DAC for classical music or analyzing / comparing amps and headphones.    

This DACs forte is all about soundstage, neutrality, clarity and transparency. 
I describe the soundstage as expansive, transparent, and three-dimensional. The soundstage produced from the Master 7 is unlike anything else. It is perhaps what makes the music reproduced through this DAC sound live instead of recorded. Very complex orchestral material is no challenge for the Master 7.

[size=14.0pt]PWD2 (2.2.0):[/size]
I think I prefer this firmware over the (2.0.2).  Although I may have lost some bass quantity, just a little, it seems like I gained some bass quality with this version, that’s more important to me anyway.  The bass is still good and is every bit as impactful with some of the best PRaT I’ve heard.  This is one of the only areas where I’d say the PWD2 wins over the Master 7 outright – It’s still a really close call.  I would sacrifice a little less bass quantity with upgrading from (2.0.2), for all the other things (2.2.0) does better.  

Version (2.2.0) really out did version (2.0.2) in every way, except bass quantity.  It has better clarity, detail retrieval, speed, and is much livelier.  After the upgrade the sound really smoothed out and opened up.  (2.2.0) has more dynamics, a bigger sound stage, clearer vocals, and somehow there just appears to be more going on musically.   This version is more enthusiastic and much more refined. This version just sounds right.  It made recordings sounds significantly more alive and brought forth more details when compared to the (2.0.2) version.  Also with the (2.2.0) version instrument positions are well defined, and the resolution of complex classical pieces is excellent.  (2.2.0) definitely has more authority and control over the lower frequencies when compared to version (2.0.2).  Version (2.20) makes the music flow more easily. Better definition, more so the bass and the higher frequencies seem to have more clarity, extension and air.

The PWD2 DACs is a very engaging and energetic DAC with a big dynamic rage swing.  On the Diana Krall's Live in Paris CD, the emotion in her voice and the detailed, delicate yet powerful soulful sound brought this CD to a new sonic and emotional level.  The bass on the PWD2 has a little more body to it (PRaT).  It’s not what I would call colored it’s neutral as but with a slight emphasis. I played the same Rap song with the PWD2 as I did on the Master 7, this time the bass was powerful, it was like a full on assault of punches to the body.  You could just feel the bass in your bones.  Not only were the drums impressive but the bass line throughout the track was just as prominent and engaging.   It matched the bass with a good tonal balance of high frequencies that was pleasing to the ear.  The HE-6/PWD2/F1J combination is extremely musical.  By musical I mean liveliness, Soul and engaging with PRaT.  Not colored.  The PWD2 keeps me engaged and involved in the music.  This DACs forte is all about musicality and PRaT.  

Differences:
First let me say both DACs are capable of an incredible sonic presentation; in my opinion the major sonic difference between the two DACs are soundstage and PRaT.
These companies have succeeded in their goal of DACs that can compete at a very high level.

PWD2                                                                                            Master 7

Lively / energetic                                                                  Liquidly smooth
Good low level resolution                                                      Great Sound Stage Width / depth
More bass quantity                                                              Very good air
More attack / impact                                                            Very Clear / Clarity
Good dynamic range throughout                                            Good instrument placement
Very engaging                                                                      Fast
Good Tonal balance                                                              Great Tonal balance
Involving midrange                                                                 Transparent
Detailed                                                                               Good Center focus / imaging
Musical                                                                                Very resolving
PRaT                                                                                   Neutral

I would say right now if I had to have only one - It would be the??? And that would be a really tough choice to make, as both DACs are top notch. Both DACs have that smoothness, fluidities, airiness, refined treble and the best sound staging (Master 7) I’ve yet to hear in a DAC. Both resolves deep into the music than anything else I've heard in my system without being analytical, harsh or digital sounding while still being able to pick out those nasty artifacts on bad recordings and put a spotlight on them effortlessly.  Both DACs respond very well to improved recording quality, it digs deeper into the music while also demonstrating better resolution and tighter low level control.  If your recordings are good these DACs will give you a very enjoyable musical experience.  If your recordings are bad, you will hear every piece of crap on there.  Both DACs are far from forgiving while not being bright or having no grain or glare what so ever.  The macro / micro dynamics, and the harmonically rich tonal balance are great on both. 

Both DACs are very real sounding, or non digital sounding.  Both have a wide dynamic range and is very explosive, particularly with the bass, they’ll give you the attack and impact you’ll be looking for, also the inner / deep detail retrieval and low-end texture on both DACs were very impressive..

Neither is overly smooth.  However, I would say the Master 7 is more neutral and the PWD2 has more Soul.  Also both DACs have a very good blackness about them with good space in the air and around the instruments. Both have very good continuousness with loudness. The increasing volume levels were very even, from very low, to ear splitting sounds.  Nothing about the pitch was discontinuous or out of place, they deliver a very smooth and even transition.

The Master 7 / HD800 / GS-X mk2 is one of the most transparent rigs I’ve heard to date, it’s really amazing with complex layered passages and the instrument separation is among the best. The image placement is really focused, with pinpoint accuracy.  The Master 7 isn't bass heavy or bass light, it’s not thin on top, or thick sounding, it’ nothing but neutral, what you put in is what you get out.  The music flows untouched right to your ears.  Each instrument has clear separation from the top to the bottom of the spectrum; the DAC does not produce sound that’s not presented. The soundstage is to die for.

I find that I enjoyed the PWD2 / HE-6 / F1J the best.  Only because I found the PWD2 had a bit more PRaT and it also makes a more tonally rich and resolving combination.  No other combination of headphone / DAC / amp has delivered so much emotion or brought me closer to my favorite music that the HE-6 / PWD2 / F1J.  This DAC reaches out from deep within the lower midrange, grabs you by the collar, and just pulls you in and says - “You are now engaged”.  It has full mid bass, plenty of slam and beautiful decay.

My conclusion is.  I’m keeping both.  At this point I‘d be really hard pressed to take one over the other.  I’m especially happy both have I2S inputs.  I’m planning on getting the Off Ramp 5 or 6 in the very near future and use I2S on both.

Really, you can’t go wrong with either.

Appreciated preproman for the detail description. I think I would consider Master 7 is the "King of Neutral" without slightly colorization. This is what I expect for any hi-end DAC - maintaining the best SQ from the source as much as possible. For tonal balancing, this can be improved through different approaches like amplifier, headphone, cabling etc.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #423 of 4,451
Quote:

Appreciated preproman for the detail description. I think I would consider Master 7 is the "King of Neutral" without slightly colorization. This is what I expect for any hi-end DAC - maintaining the best SQ from the source as much as possible. For tonal balancing, this can be improved through different approaches like amplifier, headphone, cabling etc.

USB firmware too (PC) :wink:

May 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #425 of 4,451
Quote:
Can anyone tell me which media player request the ASIO must have 64bit support?
I want to feedback to VIA see if can edit the driver support ASIO 64bit for cooperate with that media player.

With my IT knowledge, I think the 64 bit ASIO driver is required as the 64 bit Windows installed, or it wouldn't work properly. The media player wouldn't have to require if the ASIO driver is either 32 or 64 bit as long as the driver working fine. However, as the vendor, it is better to mention if that driver or software supports the 64 bit environment. An example is, using a 32 bit media player (yes, the 64 bit Windows supports both 32 bit and 64 bit applications) under 64 bit Windows with the 64 bit ASIO driver.

May 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #426 of 4,451
after 2 weeks 24/7 hrs burn-in period, . impression is similar to other m7 user. it is very unforgiving. bad recording, m7 will tell you this is
bad, good recording is really good. no hiding. 

comparing with my previous ref -1, m7 is another league. another level. 

balance and cast output comparsion:  usd 20.00 kingwa cast cable is better than usd 200 silve sonic cable. 
cast input gives much more crystal clear and transparent treble. balance input gives a little harsh, hairy treble.

1s2 input and usb input comparsion:  
pc- di-v3 i2s - m7
pc - usb - m7

i will take 12s input more than usb. 12s background is more clear.  and more accurate.

he-6 and hd-800 comparsion: 
if you want to tune your system to be more bass , try he-6, it gives you more tube like listening.
if you want  more demanding  , try hd-800. 

recently i got cd-7se, now at kingwa factory to upgrade to cd-7 fv. will see how is the performance of cdt pairing with m7. but i will focus
at how cd-7 fv output to m7  12s input . 

my rig is :
headphone: hd-800 and he-6
head amp: m6
cdp: cd-7
recorder: korg mr-2000
all  is c.a.s.t cabling.

May 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #427 of 4,451
Have any of you guys heard some "clicks" from your Master-7 / SA-2 / NFB-7.32  when it's cold ( I think it's the case that heats up ) ?

May 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #430 of 4,451
Quote:
after 2 weeks 24/7 hrs burn-in period, . impression is similar to other m7 user. it is very unforgiving. bad recording, m7 will tell you this is
bad, good recording is really good. no hiding. 

comparing with my previous ref -1, m7 is another league. another level. 

balance and cast output comparsion:  usd 20.00 kingwa cast cable is better than usd 200 silve sonic cable. 
cast input gives much more crystal clear and transparent treble. balance input gives a little harsh, hairy treble.

1s2 input and usb input comparsion:  
pc- di-v3 i2s - m7
pc - usb - m7

i will take 12s input more than usb. 12s background is more clear.  and more accurate.

he-6 and hd-800 comparsion: 
if you want to tune your system to be more bass , try he-6, it gives you more tube like listening.
if you want  more demanding  , try hd-800. 

recently i got cd-7se, now at kingwa factory to upgrade to cd-7 fv. will see how is the performance of cdt pairing with m7. but i will focus
at how cd-7 fv output to m7  12s input . 

my rig is :
headphone: hd-800 and he-6
head amp: m6
cdp: cd-7
recorder: korg mr-2000
all  is c.a.s.t cabling.

Quote:

Good to know about it. Thanks.

May 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #432 of 4,451
Quote:
Hello,

No one experienced a test versus the Lynx Hilo ?

I've got the Hilo and previous to buy it I've considered Master 7.
If someone come here in Tuscany with Master 7 we could make a test and drink a good bottle of Chianti.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back