Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #391 of 4,451
Quote:
The only thing than treaten me from buiying m7 is the fact that there is no real market in Italy to sell it in the future if I would do.

I think there is at least ONE future buyer :wink:
Pull the plunge and let me listen to it.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #395 of 4,451
The M7 has more detail, focus and speed but less bass and perhaps a smaller soundstage than the Ref7.1.

The Ref7.1 very clearly had more bass and a much larger soundstage than the PWD. But to be honest, it was the neutrality that I felt was most important. The PWD MK2 got a little shouty with the prominent, liquid mids at higher volumes with some songs. The Ref7.1 just sounded like music all the time. I forgot about the DAC, whereas I always knew with the PWD I was listening to a synthetically reproduced version of the music. It was great for some tracks that benefited from the mid-representation, but it took away from others. Neutrality is key for me. I like to know what the recording actually sounds like, without it being analytical and unforgiving. All these DACs are fairly forgiving, but the PWD adds a bit too much of its own flavour to everything IME.

Edit: To add some more info; the OR5 (with all upgrades) made the Ref7.1 sound a lot better than the PWD MK2. In terms of detail and layering + imaging they were both pretty close then, but in all other areas the Ref was better. The level of improvement I got from the OR5 on the Ref was remarkable, but it didn't seem to improve the PWD as much.

So, bass wise Re 7.1 > pwd mk2 > M7? am i right?
When you compared M7 vs Re7.1, both are using your OR5?

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #396 of 4,451
Quote:
So, bass wise Re 7.1 > pwd mk2 > M7? am i right?
When you compared M7 vs Re7.1, both are using your OR5?

He hasn't listened to the Master 7 yet. He's going off what we've been gathering from the various posters in the thread and that he's compared the PWD mkII vs. Ref 7.1.

Besides that, thanks Preproman for your extensive review/comparison between the Master 7 and the PWD mkII. But haha, you haven't helped me move any closer to calling which one I'd want :''''-(  I've discovered that soundstage and bass impact/emotional-flow are what I want in my music or what I want my gear to deliver. I don't need the ultra detail, I want something that can get me lost in the music and be left on for hours and hours. Your comparative review seems to show that the Master 7 is going to give that soundstage and concert type feeling while the PWD mkII is going to give the bass impact and emotional-flow type feeling.

Where is that magic DAC that is going to do it all perfectly, haha?? The way Sharose talks about the Ref 7.1 it makes me wonder if that's the one? If only I could listen to them all, what a tough world...

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #397 of 4,451
Quote:

He hasn't listened to the Master 7 yet. He's going off what we've been gathering from the various posters in the thread and that he's compared the PWD mkII vs. Ref 7.1.

Besides that, thanks Preproman for your extensive review/comparison between the Master 7 and the PWD mkII. But haha, you haven't helped me move any closer to calling which one I'd want :''''-(  I've discovered that soundstage and bass impact/emotional-flow are what I want in my music or what I want my gear to deliver. I don't need the ultra detail, I want something that can get me lost in the music and be left on for hours and hours. Your comparative review seems to show that the Master 7 is going to give that soundstage and concert type feeling while the PWD mkII is going to give the bass impact and emotional-flow type feeling.

Where is that magic DAC that is going to do it all perfectly, haha?? The way Sharose talks about the Ref 7.1 it makes me wonder if that's the one? If only I could listen to them all, what a tough world...

for me it is the soudstage, placement and detail (I am one of those wierdows that still likes his k702) as well as extention including good bass.  looks like m7 eeks out PWD for me though, although I like having tech support Stateside. uhggggg.... decisions, decisions 

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #399 of 4,451
Quote:
I think there is at least ONE future buyer :wink:
Pull the plunge and let me listen to it.

atsmile.gif
eh eh eh eh
Actually I'm more interested in Lynx Hilo that could be a dac with a good market in the professional sector.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #400 of 4,451
Quote:

Eximus DP-1.

-Daniel

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #401 of 4,451
last week i got cd7, its performance (impressive soundstage, very detailed and accurate)  gives me motivation to get a better dac to enjoy music.

and last 6 weeks, i one by one sold ref 1 and yulong d18  to save some funds to upgrade this m7. 

Where did you find the CD7?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #405 of 4,451
Quote:
Hi

Is the master 7 DAC compatible with the CAST input of the older pre-amp, like C39?

It is compaitable. Just need to purchase cast cables from agd or simply DIY.
Ask kingwa for the pinout between the old and new connectors, if your C39 is purchased before the connector change. 
HK should not be an hassle to get them fast from agd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back