Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #376 of 4,451
Quote:
I just checked the price of the PWD2: around 4,000$ - that's almost twice as much as the M7
blink.gif

The Audio-gd of course doesn't have the same looks / design level, but in terms of sound quality it's good to know that is compares to that famous super DAC.

No no no..  IMO The PWD2 is not worth the MSRP.  I got mine for $2.5K on AudioGon.  You can find then there all day for that price.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #378 of 4,451
Thanks for the great review, preproman.

I have been searching for a DAC to pair with the GS-X mk2 that I ordered (still need months to come), the final shortlist is Master 7 vs Anedio D2, could you tell me your comparison between the 2 if you happen to have heard the Anedio D2 before.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #379 of 4,451
Thanks for the review of the eagerly awaited M7 vs PWD 2. I'm glad to hear both are top notch DACs with neither besting the other.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #380 of 4,451
Quote:

I have been searching for a DAC to pair with the GS-X mk2 that I ordered (still need months to come), the final shortlist is Master 7 vs Anedio D2, could you tell me your comparison between the 2 if you happen to have heard the Anedio D2 before.

Head FI'er SoupRKnowva did s side by side with his D2 and my M7.  He sold his D2 and is planning to order the M7.  However,  I do know that he likes the D2 a lot.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #381 of 4,451
Quote:
Seems like the Ref 7.1 and the Master 7 is the same in all areas just about..

Yea. There are some things that seem pretty clear to me from our comparisons to the same reference in the PWD MK2 (2.2.0). The M7 has more detail, focus and speed but less bass and perhaps a smaller soundstage than the Ref7.1.

The Ref7.1 very clearly had more bass and a much larger soundstage than the PWD. But to be honest, it was the neutrality that I felt was most important. The PWD MK2 got a little shouty with the prominent, liquid mids at higher volumes with some songs. The Ref7.1 just sounded like music all the time. I forgot about the DAC, whereas I always knew with the PWD I was listening to a synthetically reproduced version of the music. It was great for some tracks that benefited from the mid-representation, but it took away from others. Neutrality is key for me. I like to know what the recording actually sounds like, without it being analytical and unforgiving. All these DACs are fairly forgiving, but the PWD adds a bit too much of its own flavour to everything IME.

Edit: To add some more info; the OR5 (with all upgrades) made the Ref7.1 sound a lot better than the PWD MK2. In terms of detail and layering + imaging they were both pretty close then, but in all other areas the Ref was better. The level of improvement I got from the OR5 on the Ref was remarkable, but it didn't seem to improve the PWD as much.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #383 of 4,451
Andrea???

The Master 7 has a better Soundstage over any DAC I've had or heard thus far.  It's also the most neutral / transparent DAC I've had or heard thus far.  

The m51 is a good DAC but at the MSRP of 2K I'd go with the M7.  If you can get the m51 at around $1400 it becomes a good buy.  

Just IMO..

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #384 of 4,451

I would say if you're only willing to spend 1500 on the D2, you can't do any better, and it takes a decent amount of money to better it. But if you're willing to spend the 2300 on the master 7, it is a better dac, and it's what I will end up with after I've had a chance to upgrade my phono stage

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #385 of 4,451
Andrea???

The Master 7 has a better Soundstage over any DAC I've had or heard thus far.  It's also the most neutral / transparent DAC I've had or heard thus far.  

The m51 is a good DAC but at the MSRP of 2K I'd go with the M7.  If you can get the m51 at around $1400 it becomes a good buy.  

Just IMO..

Thanks.
I've listened to m51 in my system and I liked it much more without a pre than with. The only thing than treaten me from buiying m7 is the fact that there is no real market in Italy to sell it in the future if I would do.
Andrea come from a grammar correction of my cell. :D

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #386 of 4,451
Quote:

Quote:
I would say if you're only willing to spend 1500 on the D2, you can't do any better, and it takes a decent amount of money to better it. But if you're willing to spend the 2300 on the master 7, it is a better dac, and it's what I will end up with after I've had a chance to upgrade my phono stage

Thanks both, now it's crystal clear that Master 7 is the one I'll pull the trigger on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #387 of 4,451
After several weeks using nothing but USB32 I have gone back to the Audiophilleo 1 on Master 7 input #1.   It seems there is just more meat on the ribs with the AP 1/ Input #1 combo.  Fuller bass, clearer vocals (less edge), silky highs.  Very subtle but noticeable changes that enhance presence.  As much as I like USB32 the AP 1 seems like a better match for my ears - at least until I try something else.  Anyone else have a similar experience? 

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #389 of 4,451
Quote:
After several weeks using nothing but USB32 I have gone back to the Audiophilleo 1 on Master 7 input #1.   It seems there is just more meat on the ribs with the AP 1/ Input #1 combo.  Fuller bass, clearer vocals (less edge), silky highs.  Very subtle but noticeable changes that enhance presence.  As much as I like USB32 the AP 1 seems like a better match for my ears - at least until I try something else.  Anyone else have a similar experience? 

What firmware were you using?
If you have #4, you might well try the spare firmware (#3 or #5, depending on the date of purchase) to add warmth and weight to the sound.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #390 of 4,451
Quote:

Yes, the M7 configuration cannot accept 32bit/384khz.

Although, theoretically the PCM1704UK chip can accept 384khz signal, but that would require no oversampling. It would sound quite bad, hence most 1704 implementation are capped at 24/192 (Cantata/Skylla 2 comes to mind).

This is not true.
As Kingwa experimented and said several times, the PCM1704 can receive over 768K.
I think he tested double that, but 768Khz is a safe bet, and that would imply 2x oversampling from the usb32 via chipset. 1Mhz, which I believe is the practical limit of the DAC would require a non-integer oversampling, which is something i dont personally like.
It obviously is the way the DSP is implemented into the Master7 that limits the input signal to 192khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back