Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #346 of 4,451
Quote:
Bah...can someone explain how to connect my SBT EDO to the M7? I reinstalled the EDO followed by the Digital Output Kernal Update. No dice. Suggestions? -Daniel

Try the spare firmware (#5 or #3 I cannot keep up with Audio-GD here...).
The asynchronous firmware (#4) does not work for me on the SBT. The spare firmware (#3 in my case) works like a charm, in adpative mode :wink:

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #348 of 4,451
Quote:
Thanks-I'll give it a shot later.

-Daniel

Why - if I may ask - are you selling your Master 7 (and Master 8) ... already?
I see in your profile that you have Reference 9. Do you prefer that to the Master 7?
And SA-1. Do you prefer that to Master 8?

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #349 of 4,451
My profile needs updating lol...no longer have any other AGD products than the 7/8 right now. Bottom line is I'm finding them too neutral with my HD 800s. I think this stack would be RIDICULOUS with some darker headphones or planars, but I prefer more musicality upstream, and I'm sticking with the Senn as I feel it is utterly chameleon-esque to the rig, and simply put needs some tubes in the chain somewhere. This is an incredibly revealing setup for sure, but not quite musical (colored??) enough for the HD 800s, for my tastes anyway. Ymmv!

-Daniel

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #350 of 4,451
Quote:
My profile needs updating lol...no longer have any other AGD products than the 7/8 right now. Bottom line is I'm finding them too neutral with my HD 800s. I think this stack would be RIDICULOUS with some darker headphones or planars, but I prefer more musicality upstream, and I'm sticking with the Senn as I feel it is utterly chameleon-esque to the rig, and simply put needs some tubes in the chain somewhere. This is an incredibly revealing setup for sure, but not quite musical (colored??) enough for the HD 800s, for my tastes anyway. Ymmv!

-Daniel

I have had Ref One > Phoenix > HD800 for a long time and now listening Master 7 > Phoenix > HD800. I can recommend the following steps for your HD800:

1. Try different cables between your Master 7 and 8. This has helped me in the case of the Ref One > Phoenix > HD800 combo.
2. Keep Master 7 and buy a tube head-amp. This is my final solution. I find the LD MKVIIIse fabulous for HD800 with the Ref One and Master 7 as the source. HD800 are really stellar with the LD MKVIIIse in my case. Tons of musicality but still a lot of details and neutrality.
3. Power source is also very important. If you use some AC filters, remove them and power your gear directly, and/or try a power conditioner.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #351 of 4,451
Quote:

-Daniel

Okay, thanks for your explanation. If I was you, I would keep the Audio-gd boxes and try HE-6 before selling off those super components you got there.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #352 of 4,451
I actually completely agree with both of you, and understand your rationale. I agree that the HE6 would be marvelous in this system, but I am am simply looking to maximize the HD800 at this time, and with a Leviathan on the horizon, I'm mainly looking at a stop gap until it arrives. This is not a 'bad' pairing by any stretch, but I have learned a couple of things with this 'experiment' if you will, and reinforced things I already felt. The M7 is indeed the most neutral and detailed dac I've ever heard, and would be hard to beat I imagine. Easy recommendation (eveen though it just sold a minute ago btw.) I also learned however that my Eximus DP1 beat it in a few areas. Namely, transparency *gasp*, but not by much. The DP-1 really makes music sound 'live', like the performers are in the room with you, whereas the M7 simply sounds like a perfect recording of music. The DP-1 is hardly behind the M7 in detail either, despite what people who haven't lived with it have said. 6Moons, Leeperry, and others have really nailed it about the 'live performers' aspect of the DP-1, it really is 'they are here', vs. I am there. Must be heard to understand-more of a presentation thing than anything. Ampwise what can I say-even though the M8 is definitely smooth for an ss amp, the ZDSE simply knocks it out of the park with the HD800-simply a magical combo that must be heard to understand. I still hear a little shrillness on the Senn in this rig, that the Zana curbed, yet still retained the best detailed of good solid state, and beating many of them in dynamics and detail-not things you'd normally expect from tubes-but that's EC for you: ss done right lol. Can't wait for the ECL! -Daniel

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #354 of 4,451
if you want to max hd-800, you need to use desktop power amp instead of master 8. 

master 8 is not enough power to draw 800. i got master 6 and still feeling this is bad idea to drive he-6 and 800.

my suggestion is use m8 as pre-amp, and get a power amp like : master 3 (newer version more analysis) or fbi-501 (older version, more musical).

i found another user using mcintosh 275 to draw 800.  or using vintage $200.00 int amp to drive it. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #356 of 4,451
Quote:
if you want to max hd-800, you need to use desktop power amp instead of master 8. 

master 8 is not enough power to draw 800. i got master 6 and still feeling this is bad idea to drive he-6 and 800.

my suggestion is use m8 as pre-amp, and get a power amp like : master 3 (newer version more analysis) or fbi-501 (older version, more musical).

i found another user using mcintosh 275 to draw 800.  or using vintage $200.00 int amp to drive it. 

Seriously, not enough power for the HD800's!! Are you mad
eek.gif

You sure you don't mean HE6's, when you will still be slightly mad.
wink_face.gif

The Master-6 puts out 1.2wpc into the 300ohm Senns when used balanced. Probably enough to blow up the drivers.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #357 of 4,451
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm whether the master 7 can support DXD 24bit/352.8khz files like the ones on the 2l site?

Thanks
Steph

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #358 of 4,451
Hi Steph,

I have successfully tested 24bit 352.8kHz WAV files from the nl 2l site in foobar2000 and no problem, amazing sound!

Not sure aboud the DXD. Is it possible to play the DXD files from PC?

Reg, Step.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #359 of 4,451
Quote:
Hi Steph,

I have successfully tested 24bit 352.8kHz WAV files from the nl 2l site in foobar2000 and no problem, amazing sound!

Not sure aboud the DXD. Is it possible to play the DXD files from PC?

Reg, Step.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, according to the 2l site all the files of 24bit 352.8khz are either DSD or DXD

Stereo
DXD
24BIT/352.8kHz
Stereo DFF 
DSD 64
2.8224Mbit/s
Stereo DFF 
DSD 128
5.6448Mbit/s
Surround 5.1
DXD (WAV)
24BIT/352.8kHz
Surround 5.1
DSD 64
2.8224Mbit/s

I'm not sure if they are WAV as I haven't downloaded any yet but. Maybe someone else might know.

I'm quite sure this DAC can't support DSD, but wanted to know if it could support DXD.

Regards
Steph

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #360 of 4,451
The M7 only supports up to 192k. It has to do with the DSP I think. It would have to be re-programmed to support higher resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back