Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
May 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #436 of 4,451
Quote:
Hey Grunter, how you like the Hilo?

I like it very much.
Its strength are great instruments separation, airy sound without harshness, great neutrality.
Next 20 May we'll have a meeting in which I could put it against Lavry da11, Meitner ma-1 (probably another league) and maybe Forsell mdac-2 (sorry no Burl this time, maybe another time).

May 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #437 of 4,451
Put the Audio GD Master 10 amplifier in service this morning in place of the old faithful 70w per channel KT88 amp.  Ordered the Master 10 about 5 months ago but initially did not like the sound paired with either the new Master 7 or adolescent Ref 5.32 DACs.  Too much newness as the sound drove me crazy in the early trial!  It only exaggerated the weak bass and strident highs at the time.  But liking what I hear with ACSS connected between the two Masters.  Better bass, smoother highs, more inner detail, plus plenty of power in reserve.   So the Master 10 is here to stay and hopefully its sound will improve further in the next few hundred hours.  The Audio GD experience is only getting better but takes time!

May 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #438 of 4,451
Quote:
Put the Audio GD Master 10 amplifier in service this morning in place of the old faithful 70w per channel KT88 amp.  Ordered the Master 10 about 5 months ago but initially did not like the sound paired with either the new Master 7 or adolescent Ref 5.32 DACs.  Too much newness as the sound drove me crazy in the early trial!  It only exaggerated the weak bass and strident highs at the time.  But liking what I hear with ACSS connected between the two Masters.  Better bass, smoother highs, more inner detail, plus plenty of power in reserve.   So the Master 10 is here to stay and hopefully its sound will improve further in the next few hundred hours.  The Audio GD experience is only getting better but takes time!

Nice to hear it DACLadder! im also loving my nearly complete audio-gd ACSS rig, the master 1 running into the master 3 is pretty sweet. i only have a NFB 1.32 for now, but will hopefully be able to get a master 7 before supplies of the pcm1704uk run out, though a phono stage upgrade is first on the docket for me

May 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #439 of 4,451
now, i am using m5 + m7 (with acss connection) + cd7 + he-6  . i like he-6 for rock'n roll. 
burn-in time is about 300 hrs. 
yesterday bought radiohead the best eu version.  cd7 does not disappoint me.
impression of the guitar at paranoid android is aggressive, , clean, accurate,  no mess. 

souprknowa - i would like to know if you have any comparsion of master 3 to other giant amps, like krell and mark and.?

thank you.

May 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #441 of 4,451
I am new to this forum but have been following the interaction closely last couple of months. I am very much interested in the Audio GD gear. My current rig consists of a Anedio D2 which I route through my A-Gd Master-1 preamp. I found that the D2 has a lighter presentation (for my taste atleast) and found that when routed through the Master-1, everything gets a more substance. Perhaps it is my imagination but I also felt that instrument separation is better through the Master-1.
I am currently thinking of upgrading to the Master-7. Well, either upgrade to the Master-7 or buy a off-ramp 5 to pair with the Anedio. Ideally I would upgrade to the M-7 and also buy the off-ramp but budgetary concerns don't allow that for now
regular_smile .gif
. I would really appreciate some inputs that would send me in one direction or the other.

May 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #442 of 4,451
If I where you 
biggrin.gif

I would upgrade to the Master 7 and use the ACSS connections betwen the two.  

Then wait like me for the realease of the Off Ramp 6 later this year.

The Off Ramp 6 will give you the XMOS USB interface and a Galvanic USB input.

May 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #443 of 4,451
Thanks Preproman, I like the idea very much. I also went through the postings in this blog and read that Souprknowa found the master 7 to be the better dac. I guess that more of less firms up my mind. Ordering the master 7 right now
ksc75smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #445 of 4,451
The Usb32 on the Master 7 is very good and certainly listenable. I prefer it to Audiophilleo 1s.

Regards

Macrog

May 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #447 of 4,451
The in built usb32 is quite listenable on the master 7 by which I mean I don't feel I'm losing much using the inbuilt usb32 input in comparison
To the M2tech Evo (with external clock and battery PSU) or the Audiophilleo 1 I also own.

In fact on Audirivana + in integer mode I think the usb32 input on the master7 is absolutely stunningly good.

Macrog

May 18, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #448 of 4,451
Has anyone tried the latest firmware 7 and drivers 2.0? I installed everything yesterday and encountered small SQ differences. May be the bass has improved??? Please post your feedback.

May 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #450 of 4,451
It is done via software. You will find all info in the following post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/3825#post_9436376

Read it carefully, there were some problems with the sw update. But it was ok in my case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back