Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3,901 of 4,451
Has anyone compared the R2R 7 with the singularity 7?

Not that I know of at this time. But that would be really interesting and the best DAC model for comparison purposes. The two may share upgraded analog output line driver circuits. Plus power supplies, chassis, display, I/Os look identical.

I do have both the Singularity 7 and upgraded DSP Master 7 that are identically configured including Amanero USB, etc. The S7 highs are crisp and clean where M7S highs warmer with a hint vagueness in close comparison. Both S7 and M7S retain their dynamic sound which I think is a major strength of the Master 7 series DACs. The R2R 7 may be a different animal all together.

I know more owners of the R2R 7 than Singularity 7s. The S7s are rare as the R2R 7 was released only 6 mo. later. So send me your R2R 7!!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #3,902 of 4,451
What about this then?

Since 15th May, the Master 7 Singularity had update the firmware to include the NOS 7 firmware in one unit.

Users can select the unit working as NOS 7 model or original Master 7 Singularity model .

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #3,905 of 4,451
Appears Audio GD will end support for the Singularity digital board upgrade for the Master 7 on Feb 16, 2018. So assume no more sales after that date.
It is sad to hear this.

I think Kingwa moving in good business model direction with board sales and custom option.

If you can already custom order input you like and other option.

Other retailers follow similar with custom inputs and small modifications. A drastic auditory and physical change such as the entire board, I have not seen.

There is a lot of room for things to go wrong, a lot of time devoted to customer support, but also there is much interest. Customer also help one another. Many retailer will have forum or thread on website where owners can discuss and help. It becomes a community organically.

I believe good step for Audio gd and really like what I see in the past half year with firmware update and board upgrade, it is moving more in custom option - more diversity in product and personal preference.

Of course many companies with this as base model have fail. Audi gd is settled.

I hope there will be other opportunities from Audi gd!

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #3,907 of 4,451
Unfortunately not, they told me yesterday that for them too the deadline for ordering the upgrade is Feb. 16th.
This was the reason why I asked what the wisdom was about improving from NOS7 to Singularity, given also the rather expensive cost of the upgrade (at least 500 euros shipping of the unit included). Other comments on this question still welcome, as I haven't taken a decision yet.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #3,908 of 4,451
Will the upgrade still be available from MagnaHiFi, or not anymore?

Good question and I am not sure. Kingwa most likely spends a lot of time supporting these upgrades for individuals. He burned hours Emailing me back info during my upgrade attempts last summer. Upgrade sales have probably slowed down and Kingwa just set a date and moving on when it felt comfortable.

Would assume a company such as MagnaHiFi has prior knowledge and stocked several boards for their customer needs with more on order before the deadline. Plus they have a lot of buying leverage/ experience and could mostly likely obtain a spare part any time if available.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #3,909 of 4,451
I have finally come full circle on transition from speakers to headphones. The Hifiman HE1000 v2 phones driven off the speaker taps of a McIntosh MHA100 headphone amp is quite the experience for the good. And the Singularity 7 DAC dynamic nature is very balanced and compliments the cans and amp. Strong, nimble bass, excellent vocals, and smooth, extended highs. Lots of low-level detail, great soundstage, and black background. Warm yet detailed sound. Not so great recordings sound OK.

Just want to say after a year with the Singularity 7 DAC I do not feel the need to upgrade my DAC. It is a great DAC and would like to hear it up against the R2R 7. You can still order the Singularity 7 DAC and may be Audio GD's understated sleeper. And a final plug for Master 7 digital board upgrade. Best tweak ever for the Master 7 and will get you >90% performance of the S7.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #3,910 of 4,451
Hi everybody,
I wanted an update on the state of digital interfaces with audio gd M7 dacs. I left the discussion about a year ago, when many people spoke very well of devices such as the Singxer SU-1, but also audio-gd DI-U8, then disconinued. For a time I was very happy with the M8, then for some reasons I sold it and now I'm reconsidering buying another, maybe a better one.
Anyone with experience with these interfaces can recommend something? My M7 unit as both rj45 and HDMI digital inputs.
thanks

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,911 of 4,451
My personal recommendation: Singxer SU-1 (Magna Hifi Edition) plus Audioquest Mocha HDMI cable (1m limited edition of AudioQuest Coffee). All of these upgrades have been very beneficial in my setup.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #3,912 of 4,451
+1 for the SU-1 and also agree that the power supply needs improvement for best performance...
if you already have a good 5V supply (like the Uptone LPS-1) or can DIY something .. this adapter should give a nice appearance and allow you to adjust the PS sound to your preferences (ie. battery, supercaps, LPS w/wo LT3045 regulation.. etc..),
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc99.html
or this
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/

for the HDMI cable, I am using a 0.3m old version Wireworld, these work fine and probably much cheaper than most current model higher quality HDMI cables.

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #3,913 of 4,451
Thanks, yes I have a spare LPSU I can use for that, and I'm fully aware of the benefits of clean power.
Did anybody try the Hydra Z with the audio gd? This should be a very good digital interface too, although more expensive.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3,914 of 4,451
Thanks, yes I have a spare LPSU I can use for that, and I'm fully aware of the benefits of clean power.
Did anybody try the Hydra Z with the audio gd? This should be a very good digital interface too, although more expensive.

There was one very notable issue with the old Master 7 and compatibility with the Hydra Z HDMI I2S signals. It was document in this thread 2 - 3 years ago. Basically did not work together. Could be different today so get a confirmation before purchasing.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #3,915 of 4,451
+1 for the SU-1 and also agree that the power supply needs improvement for best performance...
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc99.html
I am using a 0.3m old version Wireworld, these work fine and probably much cheaper than most current model higher quality HDMI cables.

Nice, I just ordered the SU-1 power supply adapter cable and also an external cable. The older (less expensive) WIreworld cables work well for HDMI I2S. The shorter the cable = lower jitter feeding the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back