Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,692 of 4,451
Kingwa sent instructions for DigitBoard (new Singularity Input/ DSP board) replacement that includes rewiring the existing control cable from the front panel Display board. The socketed MCU chip on the Display board will need to be swapped as well for new functionality. I rewrote some of Kingwa's words for clarification so I may not fully grasp what he has in mind but think I have it. Will edit and note any corrections.

1. Replace the old, center DSP/ Input board with the new DigitBoard (Singularity digital board). First, take some photos of the old board to note the wire connections - especially the power wires. You can not make any mistake on the power connection. Electrostatic discharge safety precautions apply when handling the DigitBoard. Edit - It is much easier to gain access and unsolder the four power wires by first removing the interior black wall divider between the power supplies and digital/ analog boards. Just four screws from the bottom side.

2. Connect the 4 pins from the front panel Display Board to the DigitBoard as shown in the photos. On DigitBoard side you can replace the old wires or just cut the extra wires in the existing cable and only leave the four useful wires. This should be just sliding out the connector pins from the existing 7-pin connector on the DigitBoard side and reorient to match the connections in the pictures for the 4-pin header connector housing (newly supplied hopefully). Cut back or isolate the dangling extra 3 wires with exposed metal pins so they don't short or touch anything. (You may want to wait on actually trimming the exposed pins until you have the board working in case you miswire the first attempt. And an ohmmeter is helpful to verify cable wires are properly connected before applying on power. I also marked the GND wire on my existing cable with a black marker at both ends. This will make orientation a snap when ready.)

3. On the Display board replace the old MCU with the supplied new chip. (28-pin socketed DIP chip. Note orientation of old chip . Pin 1 is on your extreme left and unseen in the photo. The photo is actually pointing at the pin 14/15 end of the chip. Static safety precautions apply when handling the chip.

A useful reference for 28-pin DIP packages is shown in the link below. The chip end with the half moon shaped notch (index-1) will be on your left. A dot usually (index-2) denotes Pin 1. Orientate the MCU chip like shown in the bottom half link illustration - half moon notch on the LEFT side.
https://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/fma/pdfmcu/d28pm06.pdf

Attachments

• Digit_Board.jpg
    Digit_Board.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Display_Board.jpg
    Display_Board.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,693 of 4,451
Hi.

I just couldn't resist to go for the singularity upgrade.

Got the board yesterday and also jumped in to solder-sphere...and later last night I have my "old" Ref 7.1->7.32-> Master 7-> Nos 7 converted/upgraded to a Singularity 7. ...Well not 100% complete because the analog-boards are still untoched and the new Singularity from Audio-gd also has upgraded these with a new output buffers. Well everthing is fine and the work wasn't that hard. It is only to be systematic, careful and don't rush.

I still have it in 8 times oversampling (default). I will of course test out it all but now it's burn in time for a approx. a month and I will check it out referred to a NFB-28.38 I use as preamp right now.

I will report during the process

/Jan
A-ha! This looks promising. I have a Ref 7.1 myself. What would be needed if I were to upgrade my Ref 7.1 to the Singularity system - in addition to the parts needed when going from Master 7?

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3,694 of 4,451
@LarsHP

Kingwa only sold the M7-Singularity upgrade boards one week 7'th to14'th of june. But if You will get the chance anyway I suggest that You buy a newer backplate (Master7 model) for the dac and a new display board. The Amanero USB-input and I2s (RJ45) are very useful and gives very high performance.

Good luck!/Jan

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,695 of 4,451
I will report during the process

Hi JaMo. Are you hearing any more low-level detail than you did previously? Upon comparing the SIngularity 7 to Master 7 what struck me immediately was crispness/ clarity in the highs plus a lot more low level detail out of the S7 (like tape hiss and vinyl record surface noise). Just trying to gauge what to expect from Singularity digital board exchange in an old M7 versus the additional analog section tweaks to the S7.

Still waiting on the Singularity digital board to arrive...

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,697 of 4,451
Kingwa is a busy man. Introducing the R2R 7 DAC which appears to be the M7 size chassis/power with Singularity type DSP and R2R ladder discreet resistor DAC modules. Will someone buy this and compare? My DAC buying days are done for a long while LOL. Supports PCM / DXD / DSD Native
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R7/R2R7EN.htm

You know you want to try it yourself :smile_phones: and I don’t think many have the M7-Singularity to compare to anyhow.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3,699 of 4,451
Kingwa is a busy man. Introducing the R2R 7 DAC which appears to be the M7 size chassis/power with Singularity type DSP and R2R ladder discreet resistor DAC modules. Will someone buy this and compare? My DAC buying days are done for a long while LOL. Supports PCM / DXD / DSD Native
http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R7/R2R7EN.htm

First the new NFB 7.77 and now the R2R 7 ... Try it, buy it :)

My HE-7 Singularity just arrived and it is really an improvement over my Master 7 (with updated firmware). More impressions later but it is a great sound form the beginning. Literally everything improved: From bass to highs, more 3D and natural soundstage, more details, nice and smooth sound at the same time (I probably finally understood what is meant by "more analog"). More pleasure.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,700 of 4,451
You know you want to try it yourself :smile_phones: and I don’t think many have the M7-Singularity to compare to anyhow.

You guys are funny but my equipment buying days are over for a LONG time. I got laid off in March right after getting the Singularity 7. I looked for a job for a week and said to hell with it I am retiring. Best feeling ever!

So currently selling musical stuff on Craigslist and soon will start shedding more audio items. I got mountains of stuff to sell. Sold my Schiit Yggy a couple of days ago. Now lets see... Articnoise how about a fully loaded MSB Analog DAC? Any takers for an Audio Research Ref 75 SE amp? Come on, make me an offer! I am downsizing so I can sell my house, take the windfall profit, and move on to a cheaper place to live. I have way too much stuff for a smaller place.

I have an Audio GD Ref 5.2 DAC with upgraded DSP firmware and Amanero USB module. Wish it sounded this good 5 years ago. That will go soon. And after upgrading the Master 7 with Singularity DSP board I will compare and only keep one to take to audio heaven. :frowning2:

So, I am passing the torch to someone else!!!!!

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,701 of 4,451
First the new NFB 7.77 and now the R2R 7 ... Try it, buy it :)

My HE-7 Singularity just arrived and it is really an improvement over my Master 7 (with updated firmware). More impressions later but it is a great sound form the beginning. Literally everything improved: From bass to highs, more 3D and natural soundstage, more details, nice and smooth sound at the same time (I probably finally understood what is meant by "more analog"). More pleasure.

Great news! Enjoy

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,702 of 4,451
That reminds me Seaice... I still have the originally released Singularity 7 DSP firmware. Your HE-S7 is updated from what I have. So I will need to update the Singularity 7 when I get the new digital board. Looking forward to that.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,703 of 4,451
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3,704 of 4,451
You guys are funny but my equipment buying days are over for a LONG time. I got laid off in March right after getting the Singularity 7. I looked for a job for a week and said to hell with it I am retiring. Best feeling ever!

So currently selling musical stuff on Craigslist and soon will start shedding more audio items. I got mountains of stuff to sell. Sold my Schiit Yggy a couple of days ago. Now lets see... Articnoise how about a fully loaded MSB Analog DAC? Any takers for an Audio Research Ref 75 SE amp? Come on, make me an offer! I am downsizing so I can sell my house, take the windfall profit, and move on to a cheaper place to live. I have way too much stuff for a smaller place.

I have an Audio GD Ref 5.2 DAC with upgraded DSP firmware and Amanero USB module. Wish it sounded this good 5 years ago. That will go soon. And after upgrading the Master 7 with Singularity DSP board I will compare and only keep one to take to audio heaven. :frowning2:

Scott I’m really sorry to hear about you losing your job and that you need to move. I wish you all the luck in searching for a new job or in in an early retiring!

Am happy with my Aesthetix Pandora Eclipse DAC, which cost me more than what’s healthy, so I have to pass on the MSB. Audio Research Ref 75 SE amp is great, but too rich for my blood right now, and I guess it not a 230 v anyway.

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #3,705 of 4,451

First Prickleley Peete and now you.

Did you ever change the opamps for the DC servo? I haven't been following many threads lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back