Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #3,676 of 4,448
I don’t know maybe a high quality power regenerator for all your audio gear :)

Yes, it can help. I use PS Audio Power Plant Premier. And just testing some locally manufactured power filter for audio. Plus I have Accuphase PS-1220 but it is not working at the moment. These devices are sometimes beneficial but not always. It depends on the connected equipment etc. You must try and asses it in your setup... I believe that Kingwa finnetuned the integrated regenerator for this DAC and SQ effects are positive only.

I bought the HE-7 Singularity after reading some reviews here and on some German and French forums - people comparing the original Master 7 and HE-7 versions stated that the HE-7 version was really better. So I hope that my experience will match these observations.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #3,677 of 4,448
Yes, it can help. I use PS Audio Power Plant Premier. And just testing some locally manufactured power filter for audio. Plus I have Accuphase PS-1220 but it is not working at the moment. These devices are sometimes beneficial but not always. It depends on the connected equipment etc. You must try and asses it in your setup... I believe that Kingwa finnetuned the integrated regenerator for this DAC and SQ effects are positive only.

I bought the HE-7 Singularity after reading some reviews here and on some German and French forums - people comparing the original Master 7 and HE-7 versions stated that the HE-7 version was really better. So I hope that my experience will match these observations.

I hope your HE-7 Singularity will sound great.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,678 of 4,448
Sounds good too. Having a dedicated high quality regenerator unit though for the most sensitive gear has its benefit. And the HE design prevents you from plugging any other gear into it.

Yes I would think that a DAC is a bit more sensitive to the quality of the mains power than a amp. So if I had to chose only one audio gear it would be the DAC.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3,679 of 4,448
Yes I would think that a DAC is a bit more sensitive to the quality of the mains power than a amp. So if I had to chose only one audio gear it would be the DAC.

Yes, exactly my observations with my regenerators - my DACs and preamps are more sensitive to regenerators than my power amps. PS Audio PPP really improved SQ of my A-Gd Reference One and Master 7 DACs...

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3,680 of 4,448
Yes, exactly my observations with my regenerators - my DACs and preamps are more sensitive to regenerators than my power amps. PS Audio PPP really improved SQ of my A-Gd Reference One and Master 7 DACs...

What’s your experience with the Off-Ramp 5 and regenerators?

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,681 of 4,448
What’s your experience with the Off-Ramp 5 and regenerators?

Sorry, I cant comment this because I have not used my Offramp 5 in a long time and I do not remember it now. I have probably never compared Offramp with/without regenerators.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,682 of 4,448
HE-7 Singularity ordered :) I hope that the SQ improvements will justify this upgrade. I will keep you posted guys.

Congrats Seaice.... You will experience more detail; crisp, smooth highs; and much tighter, controlled bass. Maybe not as much bass as the old M7 cranks out though but better balance overall.

With that note I broke out my Schiit Yggy the other day. Haven't listened in a year or so. Nice box with clear presentation. But I much prefer the Singularity 7. The 7's are just more dynamic adding to the illusion of playback presentation. After about an hour I swapped back the S7 and it was like aaahhhh and was back into familiar territory. Both the M7 and S7 have made me emotional and shed a tear or two on occasion. Never had that experience with other DACs.

So, I think you will immediately notice a big difference in sound with the HE-S7.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #3,683 of 4,448
Thanks! Yes, I prefer the old M7 (HDMI) with the firmware 7 over Yggy. A-gd firmware updates have changed everything to me and I am back to Audio-GD with my sound preferences.

Yggy is a bit non-emotional (ie. too technical, a bit sterile) with my Staxes (and ears and brain and ... perhaps beer). I will sell it or try it first in one of my speaker setup. I like it with speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #3,684 of 4,448
Thanks! Yes, I prefer the old M7 (HDMI) with the firmware 7 over Yggy. A-gd firmware updates have changed everything to me and I am back to Audio-GD with my sound preferences.

Yggy is a bit non-emotional (ie. too technical, a bit sterile) with my Staxes (and ears and brain and ... perhaps beer). I will sell it or try it first in one of my speaker setup. I like it with speakers.

Which DDC are you using instead of the Off-Ramp 5 to send I2S HDMI?

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #3,685 of 4,448
Which DDC are you using instead of the Off-Ramp 5 to send I2S HDMI?

Singxer SU-1 (Offramp was destroyed by some power related problem in my house long time ago)

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #3,686 of 4,448
Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3,687 of 4,448
Hi.

I just couldn't resist to go for the singularity upgrade.

Got the board yesterday and also jumped in to solder-sphere...and later last night I have my "old" Ref 7.1->7.32-> Master 7-> Nos 7 converted/upgraded to a Singularity 7. ...Well not 100% complete because the analog-boards are still untoched and the new Singularity from Audio-gd also has upgraded these with a new output buffers. Well everthing is fine and the work wasn't that hard. It is only to be systematic, careful and don't rush.

I still have it in 8 times oversampling (default). I will of course test out it all but now it's burn in time for a approx. a month and I will check it out referred to a NFB-28.38 I use as preamp right now.

I will report during the process

/Jan

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3,688 of 4,448
Hi.

I just couldn't resist to go for the singularity upgrade.

Got the board yesterday and also jumped in to solder-sphere...and later last night I have my "old" Ref 7.1->7.32-> Master 7-> Nos 7 converted/upgraded to a Singularity 7. ...Well not 100% complete because the analog-boards are still untoched and the new Singularity from Audio-gd also has upgraded these with a new output buffers. Well everthing is fine and the work wasn't that hard. It is only to be systematic, careful and don't rush.

I still have it in 8 times oversampling (default). I will of course test out it all but now it's burn in time for a approx. a month and I will check it out referred to a NFB-28.38 I use as preamp right now.

I will report during the process

Awesome! Looks like you have upgraded that old unit on many occasions. What was included in the kit besides the new board? Did Kingwa provide instructions for re-pinning the control cable from the front panel? And are you converting USB Input 6 and I2S on input 5? If so did Kingwa provide new, white header shells for the different I2S connector arrangements on the new board?

And where the heck is my board? Did you receive notification of shipping from AGD? Let is know your listening experience.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,689 of 4,448
Hi DACLadder,

I was very lucky to get a preburned board, therefore the fast delivery. The boards needs long burn in-time to stabilise electrical and it is good that Audio-gd controles this process. It a good idea to be patient, You will get a more over-time-stable dac this way.

Yes, You have to repin the connectors. just follow the instructions. I did the repinning with a sharp, pointy knife. Just read and put in pin by pin to get it right. After multiple rebuilds of the dac, as You noticed, I also bought a new display board, so that had the 4-pin-connector on it. You will get a new MCU for the display board and the 4-pin will take the first 4 pins/solderpoints (GND,1,2,3). Very strait on.

Audio-gd gave me a shipping notofication and DHL as I use, is very fast. I live in Sweden and the record so far is within 25 hours from pick up in Hong Kong, to my door.(!) This time ca 30 h... And in those hours they also manage to tax the gear. Outstanding, I think.

The sound so far is clear and a bit dry but. I expect (know) that it will open up to get more body to the sound when it matures more.

/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back