Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,942 of 4,451
I think it's worth a shot. Shoot @Kingwa an email.

At least for new products. Not sure if it can be done to existing product without sending it back.

Quote:
Sure its possible.   You can change the HDMI I2S receiver chip to do a different one like the SN65LVDS390 which will correct the default U12 HDMI I2S signals.   You can also flop the wires on the current HDMI receiver chip inputs.  This is analogous to open heart surgery but skilled electronic rework personnel make this look easy.   Tell Kingwa you need to swap pins 1<-->3 and 7<-->9 on the HDMI receiver chip (LVDS048).  He may have other ideas as well.

The Audio-GD products with a HDMI I2S interface have a cable running from I2S pcb to mainboard.
You can ask Kingwa to provide you with a custom cable, provide him with the I2S pin-outs from U12.

All excellent suggestions.  And I'm ready to try the Gustard and I2S.  I actually damaged the RJ45 input on my M7 and need to get that repaired or replaced.  So putting a new HDMI kit in there needs to be done regardless. 

Thanks....I'll report back when I get somewhere.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,945 of 4,451
I can't seem to get Kingwa to build a custom HDMi pin layout. I'm not sure how to ask for it. He thinks I'm talking about building a cable...

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,946 of 4,451
The Wireworld type HDMI cables with removable headshells require a Torx driver to remove.  I do not have one small enough so had to order a Torx driver from Amazon.  Just want to see if there is easy access to the wire connections inside.

I found Kingwa answers many Emails a day so you have to be specific as you only get a few seconds of his time.  He is also a businessman and if he doesn't think there is profit in doing one off projects then it doesn't make sense for his company to assist.  Most likely he hasn't researched this specific issue to great depth.   Did he offer a cable solution or just throw out the idea of cable change would fix the problem?   

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,947 of 4,451
He just said the harness would have to be cut and it wouldn't be reliable, the solder joints may be weak, and he won't make a HDMi cable.
Yet I was asking to have a HDMi kit made custom,
They have that option... Not sure why I can't order one the way I want it.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/I2SdefinitionEN.htm

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,948 of 4,451
He just said the harness would have to be cut and it wouldn't be reliable, the solder joints may be weak, and he won't make a HDMi cable.
Yet I was asking to have a HDMi kit made custom,
They have that option... Not sure why I can't order one the way I want it.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/I2SdefinitionEN.htm

Send this to Kingwa.  Illustrates the chip change and wire needed for reworking the AGD HDMI I2S interface to match the Gustard U12.

Edit:  Woah! Wait a minute.  Stop the presses!  This method (deleted) won't work as the chip change on the receiver (LVDS390) effectively reverses the signal polarity on all four I2S signals when connected to a Gustard U12 so scratch this idea.  Sorry for the confusion but reverified the change after some clear thinking.

The chip change on the U12 works OK and the cable method will also.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,949 of 4,451
I have an Audio-GD Reference 5.32 DAC and wanna update to a better R2R DAC. I think Master 7 is its 'superior' model, which has 8 pieces of PCM 1704 (vs. 4 in Ref. 5.32). Are there guys having experiences of hearing both them and share some ideas on their SQ difference?

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,950 of 4,451
  I have an Audio-GD Reference 5.32 DAC and wanna update to a better R2R DAC. I think Master 7 is its 'superior' model, which has 8 pieces of PCM 1704 (vs. 4 in Ref. 5.32). Are there guys having experiences of hearing both them and share some ideas on their SQ difference?

I have both the Ref 5.32 and Master 7.  The overall timbre of the two are very close.  The Master 7 is though more dynamic with better resolution.  Plus the M7 has a wider array of input options like I2S. 

The hot R2R DAC right now is the Schiit Yggy.  Will most likely cost you less than the M7 plus a really good external USB source if you go that way.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,951 of 4,451
The Ref 5.32 is noticeably darker than the M7, though. M7 sounds bigger, more dynamic and with better sense of space and (much?) better bass definition. I've own both but in quite different systems*, though.
DACLadder owns both, so his word is more accurate. 

(*) The two systems, as I remember them. I've always had more gears around (with some overlap), but these are the pairing I spent most time with.
- Ref 5.32 -> SA-31 -> HE-500
- Master-7 -> Ragnarok -> HE-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back