Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Dec 13, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,311 of 2,556
The Singxer via i2s is one of the largest upgrades I've done. Logic would tell you that you should disable PLL (jumper on) due to the extremely low jitter, but always found the treble a bit etched. Since the new firmware update, enabling PLL (jumper off) with the Singxer has been amazing. Highs are smooth as silk and the bass is well defined and deep. My end-game for the foreseeable future...

I agree that for a $500 budget the Singxer SU-1 via I2S would be the best option. For a little more money you can get an Atterotech UnDAES-O which is the least expensive Dante AoIP solution and recently some members said that they couldn't tell it apart from the Rednet in blind testing. I have a RN3 in my main speaker system and it crushes the Singxer devices. It takes a whole bunch of USB gizmos and gadgets to get close.

I purchased mine for $376 new from an ebay seller and it shipped from the US. I don't see any up at the moment, though.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,312 of 2,556
SU-1 hits an amazing price v.s. performance spot. 

In this review:

Rednet3: ($1000)
"This is overall the best sounding S/PDIF converter."
Mutec MC-3+: ($1000)
"This sounds nearly as good as the Rednet "
SU-1: ($400)
"No digital hash, nearly as good as the Mutec"

While the Atterotech UnDAES-O does look interesting, it doesn't have i2s, the best input for AGD dacs.

@johnzz4 I also experienced the digital hash, along with another head-fi user that incorrectly attributed that issue to the switch settings on the SU-1.

SU-1 takes a few days to "burn in"... I wouldn't even call it that tho. I couldn't say why, but out of the box SU-1 has some digital hash to it.
I had it on 24/7, after a few days it was completely gone.

I've went back and tried pllen jumper off/on, and I do prefer pllen on (bypassing onboard reclocking).
While the reclock (pllen off) does sound great, it takes away just a sliver of clarity and detail (imo) (ymmv)

Could also be the difference between my M7 and your M11, not exactly the same product.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,313 of 2,556
I didn't get the hdmi i2s input on my nos11, how much better would that be than the other outputs/inputs available from the su1/nos11?

I'll install an hdmi input if the difference is significant, but that is more cost, and soldering.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,314 of 2,556
I didn't get the hdmi i2s input on my nos11, how much better would that be than the other outputs/inputs available from the su1/nos11?

I'll install an hdmi input if the difference is significant, but that is more cost, and soldering.

For me, the second best input was AES3, but I didn't test long.
The difference between AES3 and i2s, (very)small, but ymmv 

Here is something to think about, I guess M7 (not sure about m11) uses different chips for different digital inputs:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625793/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704/3495#post_13074140

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #2,315 of 2,556
NOS 11 just arrived today.  Listening cold (literally the case was quite cold to the touch after unboxing) I am blown away.  The additional detail retrieval, separation of the different elements of songs, and the richness and texture of the sound is amazing.  I am excited to see how much improvement there might be in the first few hundred hours, and after the unit warms up for a while.
. Hi , is your NOS 11 came with the latest update ? Thanks in advance . Regards

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,318 of 2,556

Hi d4nim4l, can you please let me know the settings you are running with your new NOS11, and which differences did you perceived with the other ones?

Thanks in advance! 

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,319 of 2,556
Hi d4nim4l, can you please let me know the settings you are running with your new NOS11, and which differences did you perceived with the other ones?

Thanks in advance! 

I have just been using stock settings so far. I have been studying the jumper options, and i plan to test the different nos modes and smoothness jumper as soon as i get a little free time.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,320 of 2,556
I have just been using stock settings so far. I have been studying the jumper options, and i plan to test the different nos modes and smoothness jumper as soon as i get a little free time.

I suggest you try PLL1 reclocking if you don't have an excellent source yet, it improved noticeably for my MacBook feeding the Amanero USB. Rest of the settings worked for me as follows: NOS Mode 1, Neutral and Asynch 1. BTW, I have Ref 5.32 tweaked to a NOS 5 with Amanero board, and I'm really happy with the up(side?)grade.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,321 of 2,556

I suggest you try PLL1 reclocking if you don't have an excellent source yet, it improved noticeably for my MacBook feeding the Amanero USB. Rest of the settings worked for me as follows: NOS Mode 1, Neutral and Asynch 1. BTW, I have Ref 5.32 tweaked to a NOS 5 with Amanero board, and I'm really happy with the up(side?)grade.

Funny thing is before the NOS V2 firmware upgrade I had completely different settings: no PLL, NOS Mode 2, Neutral and Asynch 2. Just saying...

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2,322 of 2,556

Great suggestion, I'll probably try that first before changing anything else.

Anyone compared the di-u8 with the singxer su-1?

Edit: interested in the upgraded di-u8 with x208 since November. I found luckbad and others comparisons pre-upgrade.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #2,323 of 2,556
While the Atterotech UnDAES-O does look interesting, it doesn't have i2s, the best input for AGD dacs.

@johnzz4
 I also experienced the digital hash, along with another head-fi user that incorrectly attributed that issue to the switch settings on the SU-1.

SU-1 takes a few days to "burn in"... I wouldn't even call it that tho. I couldn't say why, but out of the box SU-1 has some digital hash to it.
I had it on 24/7, after a few days it was completely gone.

I've went back and tried pllen jumper off/on, and I do prefer pllen on (bypassing onboard reclocking).
While the reclock (pllen off) does sound great, it takes away just a sliver of clarity and detail (imo) (ymmv)

Could also be the difference between my M7 and your M11, not exactly the same product.

The other person was me that had the digital hash that went away with her DIP switch. That ended up being defective (internal screw came loose and shorted something out). Replacement SU1 is fine. It may be the M7 vs M11 since the difference with and without PLL is substantial. Treble was a bit harsh when bypassing internal clock. However, wit PLL enabled (jumper off) the SU1 retains all the benefits of dynamics, soundstage, extension, etc. except adding smoothness to the mix. I was actually quite surprised at the difference with and without PLL enabled on the M11.

I'm curious to hear others' preferred settings when using the SU1 with the M11.

Damn, now I want to try Rednet :-/

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,324 of 2,556
Is there anyone that can help me upgrade my Master 11 to the NOS firmware? I own the blaster and the additional part sent from Audio G-D but am not technical enough to complete the upgrade. I am in Miami Beach Florida.

Before you do that, you could give the new M7/M11 firmware a try. Because after you have done the hw change to NOS, it will be too late. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,325 of 2,556
Has anyone here a NOS11 together with the Ether Flows C/Open? How do they pair soundwise?

Thx in advance... 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back