Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Oct 18, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #676 of 2,556
  Shouldn't you hook the subwoofer up to the Precision 1? my setup is simpler since I have powered monitors, and my subwoofer has high-pass out. So it goes M11 -> subwoofer -> powered monitors. 

The subwoofer could hook up to the Precision 1 using speaker wire to the speaker taps on the Precision 1. But for line level connects, there is no outputs on the Precision 1. That's why I was wondering if Master 11 would output to the Precision 1 through ACSS connection AND RCA connection as well to the L/R line inputs on a subwoofer.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #678 of 2,556
I am now pleased to announc that I have placed an order for a master 11. Now the waiting game begins... :)
Polite Golf Clap :) Congratulations. I just hooked my Macbook Pro via USB to use Amazon Prime to listen to Britney Spears with Lcd-2f's. All this tech just for Britney.

Oct 19, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #679 of 2,556
Polite Golf Clap
smily_headphones1.gif
Congratulations. I just hooked my Macbook Pro via USB to use Amazon Prime to listen to Britney Spears with Lcd-2f's. All this tech just for Britney.

Thanks. Can't wait to get it into my hands and plug in the LCD-2F's. 

Need to sort out a balanced headphone cable before the m11 turns up.

Btw I've got the Bifrost Uber. Have you listened to your Bifrost Uber since getting the m11?

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #680 of 2,556
Thanks. Can't wait to get it into my hands and plug in the LCD-2F's. 

Need to sort out a balanced headphone cable before the m11 turns up.

Btw I've got the Bifrost Uber. Have you listened to your Bifrost Uber since getting the m11?
Only a l Ittle. It sounds fine with my lcd's. More closed in than the m11. My Schiit stack was a bit bright for the hd800's. I will have the Bifrost turned into the new multi bit r2r. I am just a sucker for Balanced Connection though.

Oct 19, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #681 of 2,556
I'm thinking that with the M11 coming, I'll probably put the Lyr2 and Bifrost Uber up for sale. No point listening to them, if the M11 does everything better.

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #683 of 2,556
MASTER 11 is in the house!

And, by all appearances, made to trip across the pond unscathed.

Little short on instructions and the thing is so HUGE that my favorite USB cable is a bit short (as is the one supplied) so I need to order another one.

Balanced out to HD-600 is pretty darned good!

With the extra 6dB of gain I'm at about 47 on the volume control.

Lots of detail plus more bass with no digital craziness!  Dynamics force a bit of volume control fiddling,no complaints as that's how it's supposed to be with classical music.

So what's the break-in protocol?

ROCK 'N ROLL on auto repeat for 24 hours?  Glenn Gould 2015 Remaster box set streamed from QOBUZ?

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #684 of 2,556
You generally don't have to break in Audio-GD stuff. They run them for 100+ hours themselves.

That said, R-2R DACs need a lot of warm-up time; more depending on the number of bits. Numbers I've seen quoted as a rule of thumb are 2x number of bits.

I found my Reference 5 (same 4x PCM1704UK) to sound its best after ~2-3 days of being turned on. How many bits does that rule of thumb mean? I dunno.

PCM1704UK chips have 20 bits, so it either means 40 hours of warm-up time or 160 hours (20 x 4 x 2). Mine has been on for longer than that, so I think I'm set for warm-up.

P.S. You got the +6dB option and have HD600s that high on the volume knob? Interesting... my Roc with HD650s tends to stay at or below 9 o'clock on volume (20dB gain via balanced... although I'm using ACSS cables and those sound a little louder than RCA to me). Maybe if I get the Master 11 I oughta get the +6dB option after all.

P.P.S. Congrats!

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #685 of 2,556
You generally don't have to break in Audio-GD stuff. They run them for 100+ hours themselves.

That said, R-2R DACs need a lot of warm-up time; more depending on the number of bits. Numbers I've seen quoted as a rule of thumb are 2x number of bits.

I found my Reference 5 (same 4x PCM1704UK) to sound its best after ~2-3 days of being turned on. How many bits does that rule of thumb mean? I dunno.

PCM1704UK chips have 20 bits, so it either means 40 hours of warm-up time or 160 hours (20 x 4 x 2). Mine has been on for longer than that, so I think I'm set for warm-up.

P.S. You got the +6dB option and have HD600s that high on the volume knob? Interesting... my Roc with HD650s tends to stay at or below 9 o'clock on volume (20dB gain via balanced... although I'm using ACSS cables and those sound a little louder than RCA to me). Maybe if I get the Master 11 I oughta get the +6dB option after all.

P.P.S. Congrats!
I may be confusing Warm up with Break in. So audio-gd Burns them in for 100 hours. Now are you saying you need to do another 60 hours of breaking in time or is it that you need to leave master 11 on 160 hours at a time before it sounds it's best? That would mean powering on m11 from a cold state, it will not sound its best until it has sat there warming up for 6.66 days? I will say that when cold, the m11 sounds boxy and a bit thin. After two hours of being powered up (warming up) m11 sounds bigger and better. Give it another two hours and it starts sounding glorious. So yes, M11 sounds better heated up. But 160 hours at a time? I have left m11 up for three days straight just seeing what's what. So far I haven't seen additional improvement by just leaving m11 powered on. I think the Master 11 does break in though. My unit is louder now than when I got it. I used to turn it up to 60 max and now anywhere for 42 to 50 will suffice. I believe mine runs a bit cooler now as well. I believe in Brain Break In aka Experience. My HD800's have really taught me how to listen better and have actually made my lcd's sound better. I'm a better headphone listener than I was. We collect different headphones and amps to hear the same thing differently. As for warm up, as I said, no doubt the m11 sounds better when it's been powered up a bit. I have an Emotiva Stealth Dac 1 (Stealth?) that sounds the same if it's been up 20 seconds or 20 hours. My battery powered ifi micro idsd does sound better after it has warmed up an hour or so.

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #686 of 2,556
Not according to this: http://www.audio-gd.com/Baby-EN.htm

, Burn in the gears . 
    The Master series have 300 hours burn in, other gears have least 100 hours burn in for ensure the quality .
    The two advantaged  technicians test every gears every day . 
    The parameter include ,voltage, current and temperature, ect .

atsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #687 of 2,556
Not according to this: http://www.audio-gd.com/Baby-EN.htm

:atsmile:
Burn in means the unit was left on 300 hours to make sure the electronics would not immediately fail. Think of a beautifully crafted baseball mitt. The leather has been cured, the glove is sewn and quality tested. But once it starts to be used the glove changes and gets better. It gets broken in with normal use.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #688 of 2,556
Burn in means the unit was left on 300 hours to make sure the electronics would not immediately fail. Think of a beautifully crafted baseball mitt. The leather has been cured, the glove is sewn and quality tested. But once it starts to be used the glove changes and gets better. It gets broken in with normal use.

Ah i see. Thanks for clarifying. 

Can you tell a difference between when you first got the Master 11 till now?

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #689 of 2,556
MASTER 11 is in the house (2)

After leaving it on all night I have to say this unit runs a bit COOLER than my class A OPPO HA-1.

Go figure.

OK, probably not as the heat is evenly distributed over the entire top of a MUCH larger chassis, but still, there is no place on the top of the chassis close to as warm as the area of the vents on the top of the HA-1 after running for a few hours.

Top panel of the Master 11 is no warmer than the bottom of my MacBook Air.  Perhaps less so.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #690 of 2,556
  MASTER 11 is in the house (2)

After leaving it on all night I have to say this unit runs a bit COOLER than my class A OPPO HA-1.

Go figure.

OK, probably not as the heat is evenly distributed over the entire top of a MUCH larger chassis, but still, there is no place on the top of the chassis close to as warm as the area of the vents on the top of the HA-1 after running for a few hours.

Top panel of the Master 11 is no warmer than the bottom of my MacBook Air.  Perhaps less so.

If you play music through it for a few hours it does get pretty got. Nothing alarming though. And as others have said, I didn't experience any break-in improvement, but the M11 does sound better once it has been on for an hour, I guess it has something to do with reaching optimum temperature may be? Right after turning on the bass is lacking and the treble is slightly harsh, goes away after an hour. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back