Audio-GD HE Series: HE-9, HE-7, HE-1, HE-350
Feb 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #32 of 179
Great, thanks. Already got the HDMI input. I am actually thinking to connect an I2S streamer directly. In theory should be better compared to USB. 
I will post some info on the HE-350 once I received it and have it running for a few days.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #33 of 179
  Great, thanks. Already got the HDMI input. I am actually thinking to connect an I2S streamer directly. In theory should be better compared to USB. 
I will post some info on the HE-350 once I received it and have it running for a few days.

You better make sure that the I2S streamer is compatible with the input on the Master 7 before you try it. Numerous AV gear is not.  

I’m interested in your report on the HE-350. Which gear are you going to connect to it and do you have a power conditioner or regenerator now?  

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #34 of 179
There is no list of I2S compatible devices, at least not that I could find.
- Pink Faun I2S streamer is compatible (i2s PCI bridge)
Currently using a Sonos With Ultimo modification from Magna Hifi. (Coax SPDiF)
No difference with USB source (Win 8 via WASAPI driver of Audio-GD)
Actually, the Ultimo is even a bit more transparent and more open soundstage.

Going to connect the HE-350 to Master-7 and Sonos Connect Ultimo

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 179
There is no list of I2S compatible devices, at least not that I could find.
- Pink Faun I2S streamer is compatible (i2s PCI bridge)
Currently using a Sonos With Ultimo modification from Magna Hifi. (Coax SPDiF)
No difference with USB source (Win 8 via WASAPI driver of Audio-GD)
Actually, the Ultimo is even a bit more transparent and more open soundstage.

Going to connect the HE-350 to Master-7 and Sonos Connect Ultimo

No list, but if you have a device in mind you can ask Kingwa, here or in the Master 7 thread if it is compatible.

Pink Faun I think is a USB converter and not a streamer per se.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #36 of 179
I've had the HE-9 at home for almost a week now, but I am not prepared to comment on it yet, pending some answers from Audio GD, who are presently on holiday.
As it can be seen it is HUGE, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and those are my favourite headphones with it so far.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #37 of 179
Pink Faun is 100% I2S bridge, no USB converter. Resd this review http://www.pinkfaun.nl/portal/review-pink-faun-i2s-bridge-door-tnt-audio
Compaitble with Master 7 DAC, see review (on website of Magna Hifi home page)
Thanks for the tip, will check with Kingwa.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 179
  I've had the HE-9 at home for almost a week now, but I am not prepared to comment on it yet, pending some answers from Audio GD, who are presently on holiday.
As it can be seen it is HUGE, which is not necessarily a bad thing, and those are my favourite headphones with it so far.

Oops that didn’t sound promising!

The Master 9 do match well with the HE6.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #39 of 179

Oops that didn’t sound promising!

The Master 9 do match well with the HE6.

The HE range was removed from the English website several days ago. Based on the points I have pending with Audio GD and my initial experience I could not recommend to buy the HE-9 right now. Please stand by for an update as I work through this with Audio GD - who have so far not been great at addressing raised concerns, however understandable the delay in response due to new year. But it is not the delay in response that worries me most. I hope in the coming days, the support will improve.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 179

The HE range was removed from the English website several days ago. Based on the points I have pending with Audio GD and my initial experience I could not recommend to buy the HE-9 right now. Please stand by for an update as I work through this with Audio GD - who have so far not been great at addressing raised concerns, however understandable the delay in response due to new year. But it is not the delay in response that worries me most. I hope in the coming days, the support will improve.

I really hope it didn’t result in any damage to your Theta!

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #42 of 179
triportsad.gif
 Was going to order one of these, but I probably missed the New Years special.  In any case I would prefer an amplifier without any potential electrical compatibility issues (no chance of a Theta for me though).

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #43 of 179
Several emails later, this HE-9 will be going back and Kingwa will investigate it personally. It is most likely going to be several weeks before I can comment on the HE-9.

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #44 of 179
triportsad.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #45 of 179
HE-9 has about double the capacitance - true.  The large transformer is for the regen power supply i believe, maybe powers something else also?  Yes having power regenerator for each component might isolate from other compnent better, but this depends how the HE-350 works.

I seem to recall with the PSAudio regenerators they recomment separate power line for each regenerator because of noise dumped back on the line.  Not sure if this system is similar in this regard or not.

Still the HE series is relatively economical, I am just not sure if it is economical vs having one large regenerator seeing as you would need one for the USB-SPDIF and computer as well.  Possibly HE-350 could cover PC and USB-SPDIF but might be cutting it close unless PC is very low power CPU and power supply is very efficient.  My point is I need power filter for these other components as well...

I'm sticking with my M9 over the HE9. I've owned two PS Audio P300 regenerators and they both began to hum after several years. The hum noise was caused by DC offset drift per PSA. I'm not saying AGD's regenerator design is the same as PSA's but it's one more thing that can go wrong. I prefer to have really good power conditioners external to my components. I would hate to have to send my amp back to AGD because of an issue with the regenerator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back