Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Feb 1, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #137 of 547
I'd like to ditto what OCC7N said, as much as I am able to.

Now, I haven't owned a DDC yet from Audio-gd. But when using the Singxer SU-6 upstream from my R-28, it improved everything considerably. I've read a number of impressions stating the DI-20 is better.

Feb 1, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #138 of 547
Hi chaps, I've been meaning to ask those of you with DI-20/24s whether you use any upstream USB isolation or regeneration to make its life easier?

I ask as I found my U18, or rather my streaming DAC being fed I2S by the OCK-2 clocked U18, performed noticeably better when I added a Holo Titanis USB regenerator upstream of the U18.

Which leads me to share in case it's of interest to super-charge your DI-20/24s - and apologies for going a little OT but not sure where else I'd post this short of stating a new thread - there's this new entry in the USB regeneration/reclocking stakes - the LHY UIP, with OCXO and 10mhz clock input. Similar form factor to the OCK-2, or rather their smaller FMC chassis, looks quite neat for $494. Early feedback, incl over on the Cengrand DAC thread is very positive.

https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lhy-uip
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen...arch-for-a-new-reference.966809/post-17946277

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #139 of 547
I use an externally clocked streamer with custom CM4-based board. An excellent psu feeding it.

I just passed 720h. Even more air. Just awesome.

The di24he isolates very well from the usb source. More so than the di20he, i would presume. More experimentation will tell.

@Dreamer79 The aliexpress. AVPLAY I2S cable is made of pure silver and is affordable. Good sound quality.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #140 of 547
Hi chaps, I've been meaning to ask those of you with DI-20/24s whether you use any upstream USB isolation or regeneration to make its life easier?

I ask as I found my U18, or rather my streaming DAC being fed I2S by the OCK-2 clocked U18, performed noticeably better when I added a Holo Titanis USB regenerator upstream of the U18.

Which leads me to share in case it's of interest to super-charge your DI-20/24s - and apologies for going a little OT but not sure where else I'd post this short of stating a new thread - there's this new entry in the USB regeneration/reclocking stakes - the LHY UIP, with OCXO and 10mhz clock input. Similar form factor to the OCK-2, or rather their smaller FMC chassis, looks quite neat for $494. Early feedback, incl over on the Cengrand DAC thread is very positive.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen...arch-for-a-new-reference.966809/post-17946277
I believe the usb interfaces on the di20/24 are galvanically isolated but theres levels to that.

I don't think it would yield much improvement if any if you already have a di20/24 but if you don't have one, might offer some improvement.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #141 of 547
I believe the usb interfaces on the di20/24 are galvanically isolated but theres levels to that.

I don't think it would yield much improvement if any if you already have a di20/24 but if you don't have one, might offer some improvement.
Fair enough, noting the U18 has galvanic isolation also, but as you says there's levels to it. Ditto re levels to, as Fred points out, the noisiness/quietness of one's USB source. Sky's the limit with USB regenerators/reclockers like the Innuous Phoenix and Ideon Master Time, so just interesting to see one with the potential for high quality USB regeneration/ clocking at this price point. I tend to agree it'll be rather diminished returns with a DDC like the DI-20/24, particularly for folk fortunate enough to have a whisper quiet USB source.

OT ends /

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #142 of 547
Fair enough, noting the U18 has galvanic isolation also, but as you says there's levels to it. Ditto re levels to, as Fred points out, the noisiness/quietness of one's USB source. Sky's the limit with USB regenerators/reclockers like the Innuous Phoenix and Ideon Master Time, so just interesting to see one with the potential for high quality USB regeneration/ clocking at this price point. I tend to agree it'll be rather diminished returns with a DDC like the DI-20/24, particularly for folk fortunate enough to have a whisper quiet USB source.

OT ends /
Unfortunately, theres no such thing as a whisper quiet USB source.

I like to think of it as, only 60% covered in turd.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #144 of 547
Any advice for a short IIS cable?

AQ PEARL-48
Supra 8K HDMI
AVPLAY….the expensive one stay away from the one with silver connector.

As you already may know, bridges/ddc is another rabbit hole. Try as many as possible.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #145 of 547
I'd like to ditto what OCC7N said, as much as I am able to.

Now, I haven't owned a DDC yet from Audio-gd. But when using the Singxer SU-6 upstream from my R-28, it improved everything considerably. I've read a number of impressions stating the DI-20 is better.
The DI from Audio-gd is not the same experience/performance. I have not heard a DDC that does soo many things as DI-20HE

With the “usual” ddc mostly it is soundstage, black background speed and resolution, but DI20HE has more to offer. No spoilers, not gonna tell what it is, but it is there. Obvious after 1-2years.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #146 of 547

I wrote about the same time last year that I expected number of USB isolators in the price range $40-$50 based on chips AD ADIUM3165 or TI ISOUSB211. These chips have entered serial production during last year and now are available in retail distributors online stores like Mouser or Digikey.

The previous generations chips were only USB 1.1 compatible, limiting sample rate to 96kHz, while most of current DACs expect to transparently pass asynchronous UAC 2.0 compatible protocol. Some companies have developed their own USB solutions, but suffered compatibility problems, it is why I recommended to not use USB isolators, especially with Audio GD products. The best one was from Intona, but with cost ~$500, while one could buy DI-20 at the same price.

It is how it worked so far. The LHY isolator is the first device on the market using ADIUM3165 chip, however with a price in the DI-24 range it is rather intended to replace DDC than complement it. However I think it can compete well against Intona.

Instead of rushing for LHY isolator I would rather wait next few months to get inexpensive isolators for a fair price maximum $50, as features like OCXO oscilator are completely useless for USB transfers. I would also chose solution based on the TI chip, as the previous generation Texas Instrument chips sounded better. And chain it to USB input of DI-24HE - thats a tip.
:)

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #147 of 547
I would not use a isolator/bridge to eliminate noise but rather shape sound.

The DI-20HE is perfectly fine in terms of low noise.

I only use isolators/bridges to get a certain sonic character….steril music is not fun to listen to imo.

Pink Fauns bridges works well for my taste

—-

I rather upgrade power supply on source than adding all sorts of “tweaks” - power is everything for the sound.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #148 of 547
Does anyone know about the update to have spdif input? Ok it has been confirmed to me that in fact there will be… i fear that audio gd will neve build the last DI 20 He for me… i know someone is in conctact with Mr Kingwa

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #149 of 547
Does anyone know about the update to have spdif input? Ok it has been confirmed to me that in fact there will be… i fear that audio gd will neve build the last DI 20 He for me… i know someone is in conctact with Mr Kingwa
Someone just confirmed with audio-gd, as i did, that a fw with spdif input will be made. We just do not know when. I expect within a few months, just a guess.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #150 of 547
Someone just confirmed with audio-gd, as i did, that a fw with spdif input will be made. We just do not know when. I expect within a few months, just a guess.
I have decided to wait/delay purchase for this reason. Im assuming it will be a perfect match for my PF SPDIF Bridge which has two outputs RCA/DI20HE BNC/DI24HE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back