Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #451 of 471
@OCC7N It depends on what your audio server is running. A lot of people are using a rpi and load gentooplayer + diretta. Gentooplayer is ~ $70 for the license and diretta is $100. The beauty of the target is to have something that is low power and low noise to have the lowest noise floor possible. All the processing happens at the host (PC).
I found the answer in Dante Virtual Sound Card😱

Will be testing as soon my computer is up and running.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #452 of 471
Getting diretta set up with the afterdark bridge is pretty easy. If you have a PC, you install the ASIO drivers and open the dashboard to find the bridge on your network. Same if you're using linux. If you wanted to have a direct connection to diretta from your computer, you could do that as well. There's a guide here if you're looking to do that.

https://patatorz.com/2021/05/09/eng...ou-need-and-how-to-setup-the-configuration-2/
Cheers, I managed the direct Windows with ASIO setup, but multiple hardware issues meant the supposedly sonically superior Gentooplayer setup was another level of complexity. My patience for evening mucking around with computers approaches nil. Like I say I parked it, but will try again.

I should add Windows /ASIO > Ethernet > Rosanna > USB > R26 DAC was not as good sounding as my R26’s internal HQplayer NAA renderer, so I never carried on using it after my initial experimentation. Perhaps due to limitations in the Rosanna and R26 USB interfaces (now I have the LHY UIP this will definitely help a lot there) and/or due to Windows Diretta sonic limitations vs Linux. Most likely both.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #453 of 471
Perhaps due to limitations in the Rosanna and R26 USB interfaces (now I have the LHY UIP this will definitely help a lot there) and/or due to Windows Diretta sonic limitations vs Linux. Most likely both.

I'm guessing the USB is a big bottleneck here. Were you also using HQplayer when sending your music using diretta?

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #454 of 471
I'm guessing the USB is a big bottleneck here. Were you also using HQplayer when sending your music using diretta?
I normally use HQP, so I would've attempted to use HQP, but can't recall if I was successful (my Roon/HQP server was/is on a Mac Mini M1) or had to default to local streaming service or local file playback on the Windows PC. Actually I think I used local files in both locations for the test. Included adding a Holo Titanis between the two which narrowed the gap but the R26 NAA still had the edge. I agree USB limitations were likely a large part of this, yes.

Edit - apologies for the ongoing OT discussion, trying to keep it to a minimum. To this end I shared my experiences re the Rosanna moonlighting as a deluxe externally clocked FMC (spoiler - it is awesome!), over on the switches thread. Will primarily comment there.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #455 of 471
Hi there awhile back I asked here hows the DI-24he with AGD R-28,

So recently on my visit to my local audio store the demo unit has arrive, and since my agd r-28 has an issue with line out, and since I bring my r-28 for checking and warranty (electrical gremlin) to the shop Id figure out oh why not try it with the combo since its here,

First impression is exactly what FredA mention on the beginning of this thread, I do find the DI-24HE is less warm, a tiny touch more lean and sterile but sounds very similar like DI-20HE paired with AGD R-28, do note the demo unit literally just arrive at the shop and It hasn't burned in.

As for pairing with the R-28, I do find that the R-28 is completely fine without DDC, you're not missing that much in-terms of performance and sound quality, however the R-27 2021 does benefit quite a lot with a DDC.

As for headphone since Im at the audio store I can just use/loan their headphone for this testing, and I demoed the setup with Audeze LCD-2 (Pre Fazor), LCD-X and Hifiman He1000se and the eversolo is used solely as a streamer to stream Tidal and Roon,

Personally Id still prefer the DI-20He due to the 20 has more warmth but again this is first impresion take it with a bucket of salt and the DI-24He demo unit just arrived and havent fully burned it, Just wanted to share my thoughts since I did asked about this combo prior hope this will help others that are intrested in this combo like I did
:smile:

Attachments

• P_20240414_162302.jpg
    P_20240414_162302.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #456 of 471
Hi,
Will the USB output IIS on the DI-24HE if connected to the 12S input on the Holoaudio Cyan 2 Dac work? I am not familiar with these types of connections as I have never used them?
Thanks

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #457 of 471
Hi there awhile back I asked here hows the DI-24he with AGD R-28,

So recently on my visit to my local audio store the demo unit has arrive, and since my agd r-28 has an issue with line out, and since I bring my r-28 for checking and warranty (electrical gremlin) to the shop Id figure out oh why not try it with the combo since its here,

First impression is exactly what FredA mention on the beginning of this thread, I do find the DI-24HE is less warm, a tiny touch more lean and sterile but sounds very similar like DI-20HE paired with AGD R-28, do note the demo unit literally just arrive at the shop and It hasn't burned in.

As for pairing with the R-28, I do find that the R-28 is completely fine without DDC, you're not missing that much in-terms of performance and sound quality, however the R-27 2021 does benefit quite a lot with a DDC.

As for headphone since Im at the audio store I can just use/loan their headphone for this testing, and I demoed the setup with Audeze LCD-2 (Pre Fazor), LCD-X and Hifiman He1000se and the eversolo is used solely as a streamer to stream Tidal and Roon,

Personally Id still prefer the DI-20He due to the 20 has more warmth but again this is first impresion take it with a bucket of salt and the DI-24He demo unit just arrived and havent fully burned it, Just wanted to share my thoughts since I did asked about this combo prior hope this will help others that are intrested in this combo like I did
:smile:
Lucky man, can compare such gear in the shop!

Why DI-24HE is so different that everyone confirms it? Just wondering whether similar changes will be implemented in new generation of DACs, as my modded R2R-11 (not mk2) sounds fabulous.
:)

Coming back to the topic, what is your R28 version? NOS or the earlier? You need to retest after fixing a problem with a line output. If one power regulator is damaged in your R28, then it may affect other regulators and deteriorate sound of a headphone amp as well. In such condition adding DDC won't improve sound.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #459 of 471
Is there something upcoming from Audio-gd?
Every year brings something. DI-20 brought bi-directional USB port isolation and a clock synthesizer, these improvements were later incorporated in 2021 versions of R-7/R-8 families.

I think @OCC7N is waiting for moving new clock synchronisation in DI-24 to a DAC range, as he didn't like sound of his R-8 on the USB (or S/PDIF?) connection, DI-24 is helping, while DI-20 didn't. It will happen, if not this, maybe next year.

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #460 of 471
Every year brings something. DI-20 brought bi-directional USB port isolation and a clock synthesizer, these improvements were later incorporated in 2021 versions of R-7/R-8 families.

I think @OCC7N is waiting for moving new clock synchronisation in DI-24 to a DAC range, as he didn't like sound of his R-8 on the USB (or S/PDIF?) connection, DI-24 is helping, while DI-20 didn't. It will happen, if not this, maybe next year.
My prediction-multimeter is telling me that Kingwa is working hard on a "Master 19 mk2" with better cooling, and Master 9 sound quality.

As for DACs I like both R8 and R1 now after the last pairings. The cheap Inakustik cable really did it for the R8. D20(non-he) is such a perfect match I might just get the DI24(non-he) for the R8. Not gonna use the internal masterclock. For now I have not felt I need masterclock at all. That will be for testing next year when cable pairing is done for R8.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #461 of 471
Lucky man, can compare such gear in the shop!

Why DI-24HE is so different that everyone confirms it? Just wondering whether similar changes will be implemented in new generation of DACs, as my modded R2R-11 (not mk2) sounds fabulous.
:)

Coming back to the topic, what is your R28 version? NOS or the earlier? You need to retest after fixing a problem with a line output. If one power regulator is damaged in your R28, then it may affect other regulators and deteriorate sound of a headphone amp as well. In such condition adding DDC won't improve sound.

Sorry that took me a few days to reply I didnt check head-fi hahhahaha

Imo the R-28 doesn't really need a ddc, I went back few days back to try it with DI-20HE, the difference are it has a different presentation, more open (not necessarily more wider soundstage) and a tiny touch lean with the di-20, without the ddc the sound is closer to your face and it has a more fun and energetic presentation if you will, but comparing with and without ddc you're just getting a different presentation and not more or less performance. However for the R-27 2021 I do very much agree a ddc will benefit greatly in terms of sound performance, It might be the R-28 i2s implementation isn't as good as R-27 idk? Or well the r-28 is a "mid-high" product, regardless you are not missing a lot.

As for my R-28 I have R-28 2022, the issue I'm having is when I'm in Pre-amp mode (I use it with my pc and on speaker) the sound will randomly cuts out, out of nowhere. When I switch back to headphone out its just fine and going back to Pre-Amp mode there's no sound and if i switch input it only runs in Mono. After trying to diagnose myself and the shop tested it out and emailing to Audio GD, I've decided to just send it back to AGD for warranty, The shop tried to replicate my issue but since its an electrical gremlin issue they're weren't able to replicate the issue which I saw it coming the moment the issue I mention earlier happened for the 3rd time within in span of 3 months I owned it and yes I tried with RCA cables (I run ACSS with my chain) it just doesn't work when it happens, I switch back to my previous dac r2r11 mk2, It just works like normal, So Its deff line out issue.

It does annoys me that this happened because a couple of weeks ago I finally manage to find AGD A1 locally and I want to use the freaking amp with my R-28 and vectors :upside_down:

My chain goes like this
PC>AGD R-28>AGD Precision 3> Audiovector QR1

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #462 of 471
As for my R-28 I have R-28 2022, the issue I'm having is when I'm in Pre-amp mode (I use it with my pc and on speaker) the sound will randomly cuts out, out of nowhere. When I switch back to headphone out its just fine and going back to Pre-Amp mode there's no sound and if i switch input it only runs in Mono. After trying to diagnose myself and the shop tested it out and emailing to Audio GD, I've decided to just send it back to AGD for warranty,
I see you are in Malaysia. It should be less costly sending it back than from Europe or US. I can be wrong on a cost, so adding this may help.

From your description, I pickup that it is a mechanical problem. There is a relay responsible for switching audio sources, it get power interrupted, so contacts return to the default un-energised position. When you cycle the output, relay is energised again, but not very well, so only one pole makes contact, the other one has no enough force to make contact. In result you hear only sound from one speaker (not in mono on both speakers as you would suggest).

If I am right on this, Kingwa having schematics could identify which relay is faulty and forward it to you. It can be either a faulty relay, or there is just a deteriorated solder joint on the PCB where relay is assembled. In a later case it is can be fixed by refreshing solder joints. It needs a technician, but it is easy fix. Replacing faulty relay is also easy job.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #463 of 471
I see you are in Malaysia. It should be less costly sending it back than from Europe or US. I can be wrong on a cost, so adding this may help.

From your description, I pickup that it is a mechanical problem. There is a relay responsible for switching audio sources, it get power interrupted, so contacts return to the default un-energised position. When you cycle the output, relay is energised again, but not very well, so only one pole makes contact, the other one has no enough force to make contact. In result you hear only sound from one speaker (not in mono on both speakers as you would suggest).

If I am right on this, Kingwa having schematics could identify which relay is faulty and forward it to you. It can be either a faulty relay, or there is just a deteriorated solder joint on the PCB where relay is assembled. In a later case it is can be fixed by refreshing solder joints. It needs a technician, but it is easy fix. Replacing faulty relay is also easy job.

Ahh I see I see thanks for the Info!

But since I bought my dac earlier this year its still cover under warranty, despite well Im "near" to china, From what I understand might be 2 months? but its not confirm, I just hope I can get this issue sorted out ASAP because I miss my r-28 + I got my self an amp upgrade :sob: also I cant solder so there's that either way hopefully then can Identify and rectify this issue asap

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #464 of 471
The shop tried to replicate my issue but since its an electrical gremlin issue they're weren't able to replicate the issue
If the problem can not be replicated elsewhere. Maybe ask Kingwa to send you the stock firmware and reflash it. I think it is a waste of time/money if your source is the problem.

Have you tried different sources?

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #465 of 471
If the problem can not be replicated elsewhere. Maybe ask Kingwa to send you the stock firmware and reflash it. I think it is a waste of time/money if your source is the problem.

Have you tried different sources?
Oh yeah we tried/done updating the firmware via usb and usb blaster after the first time happened, and yes Ive tried difference source its the same issue.

From what I know it counts under warranty so the good news it I wouldnt need to spend money, just time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back