Audio-gd DI-U8 Audio Interface (Xmos U8)
May 13, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #91 of 112
What does this driver do? I use no driver from them at all on my Mac. Am I missing out or is the Mac just smart enough to not to need one. Seems to work fine.

May 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #92 of 112
On the Audio-GD site they say you dont need drivers for MAC:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Xmos/XmosEN.htm

"NO Drivers needed for Mac OSX 10.6+ and Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel."

But we need drivers for Windows...

May 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #93 of 112
Yup, the driver mentioned few posts above is for Windows. Macs don't need driver.

May 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #94 of 112
Nice. Thanks!

May 13, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #95 of 112
Thanks for the heads up. Any noticeable difference?

I didn't notice any difference but I didn't do much listening afterwards. I have installed new drivers for other converters in the past and the difference was immediately apparent. But I didn't feel that way this time.

I'm going to post some DI-U8 and Audiophilleo comparisons soon. My mother-in-law arrives for a two week visit Saturday though......

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #96 of 112

I’m finally posting my feedback on my Audio-gd DI-U8 and Audiophilleo w/ PurePower comparison.

Equipment used in this test setup:

o Windows 10 running Foobar.

o 1m DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable.

o Audio-gd DI-U8 with stock power cord and 0.65m Van Den Hul Digi-Coupler 75 OHM BNC coaxial cable to connect to the dac (and 0.3m Wireworld Starlight 5.2 for HDMI).

o Audiophilleo2 Mk I with PurePower connected directly to the dac.

o Audio-gd Master 7 with 1m Wasatch 105U XLR interconnect.

o SPL Auditor.

o Beyerdynamic T1 and Audeze LCD-2 Fazor (mainly the beyers were used for the critical listening).

The physical impression of the converters:

Both converters have excellent build quality, feel and look good.  Both are very impressive in this respect.  Drivers are required in Windows for both units (although the AP will run 24-96 without a driver, higher sample rates require a driver also).

The AP tucks in nicely behind the dac and doesn’t require an extra cable or power cord.  This unit turns off automatically when not in use, runs cool all the time, but it does require 10 minutes to warm up each time you use it.  I keep my gear on all the time so this warm up period is a bit of a negative for me.

The DI-U8 does require some extra space and both a power and interconnect cable.  It runs hot but is on all the time – a big plus for me.  And it may not be hidden away but it really is a good looking piece of gear.  Note that the unit took about 400-500 hours to burn in.

Except for the warm-up period, the AP generally wins here because you have less cables and it does hide nicely away behind the dac.  Slightly superior build quality too in a much smaller package.  No problems with the Audio-gd though and I don't mind seeing it on top of my dac.

Short comparison of the sound produced in ascending order of preference

Audiophilleo S/PDIF output

o Low frequency has much less impact; warmer sound bleeds into the mid-range more.

o Mids sound good.  Voices sound great.

o High frequency can be just a little bit painful sometimes; a little bit too grainy.

o Pretty good separation.

o Flattest soundstage.

This is a good sounding piece of gear, I really enjoy listening with it in my system.

Audio-gd S/PDIF Coaxial output

o More impactful low frequency; deeper and tighter.

o Mids are better; voice sounds more natural.

o Smoother high frequency; still exhibits a little grain.

o Better separation then the AP.

o Soundstage is a bit flat.

The sound quality is not night and day different, but the Audio-gd is definitely the winner to me.

Audio-gd I2S HDMI output

(this is an apples to oranges comparison and is mainly here for Master 7 or 11 owners)

o Low frequency has the best control.  Details are plentiful.

o Mids are at another level; voice just sounds real and flows with ease.

o Smooth natural high frequency; little or no grain.  Sounds amazing.  This is where the HDMI I2S input into the M7 really makes the biggest difference for me.  Listening fatigue has been greatly minimized and this is using a solid state amp running T1s!

o Much greater separation and micro-details; music sounds more real in every way.  Least congested; effortless and fluid at the same time as extremely detailed. 

o Deeper soundstage. 

Clearly a big step up, sounds like a fresh new system.

Summary

When I decided to get the DI-U8 I originally thought the AP was going to best it when comparing the S/PDIF outputs, but that the DI-U8 would shine using I2S HDMI.  So I’m pretty impressed that the Audio-gd is the winner to my ears through its S/PDIF output, even with the extra interconnect cable required. 

For Audio-gd M7 and M11 users, the DI-U8 via HDMI is a major step in the right direction if you are not now using Amanero or an external I2S converter.  The difference here is immediately obvious and makes my M7 sound like a completely different dac.  Nothing is perfect, there is always better, but this combination really shines. 

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #97 of 112
[COLOR=333333]I’m finally posting my feedback on my Audio-gd DI-U8 and Audiophilleo w/ PurePower comparison.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Equipment used in this test setup:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Windows 10 running Foobar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o 1m DH Labs Silver Sonic USB cable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Audio-gd DI-U8 with stock power cord and 0.65m Van Den Hul Digi-Coupler 75 OHM BNC coaxial cable to connect to the dac (and 0.5m Wireworld Starlight 5.2 for HDMI).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Audiophilleo2 Mk I with PurePower connected directly to the dac.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Audio-gd Master 7 with 1m Wasatch 105U XLR interconnect.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o SPL Auditor.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Beyerdynamic T1 and Audeze LCD-2 Fazor (mainly the beyers were used for the critical listening).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The physical impression of the converters:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Both converters have excellent build quality, feel and look good.  Both are very impressive in this respect.  Drivers are required in Windows for both units (although the AP will run 24-96 without a driver, higher sample rates require a driver also).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The AP tucks in nicely behind the dac and doesn’t require an extra cable or power cord.  This unit turns off automatically when not in use, runs cool all the time, but it does require 10 minutes to warm up each time you use it.  I keep my gear on all the time so this warm up period is a bit of a negative for me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The DI-U8 does require some extra space and both a power and interconnect cable.  It runs hot but is on all the time – a big plus for me.  And it may not be hidden away but it really is a good looking piece of gear.  Note that the unit took about 400-500 hours to burn in.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Except for the warm-up period, the AP generally wins here because you have less cables and it does hide nicely away behind the dac.  Slightly superior build quality too in a much smaller package.  No problems with the Audio-gd though and I don't mind seeing it on top of my dac.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] Short comparison of the sound produced in descending order of preference[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Audiophilleo S/PDIF output[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Low frequency has much less impact; warmer sound bleeds into the mid-range more.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Mids sound good.  Voices sound great.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o High frequency can be just a little bit painful sometimes; a little bit too grainy.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Pretty good separation.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Flattest soundstage.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]This is a good sounding piece of gear, I really enjoy listening with it in my system.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Audio-gd S/PDIF Coaxial output[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o More impactful low frequency; deeper and tighter.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Mids are better; voice sounds more natural.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Smoother high frequency; still exhibits a little grain.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Better separation then the AP.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Soundstage is a bit flat.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]The sound quality is not night and day different, but the Audio-gd is definitely the winner to me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Audio-gd I2S HDMI output[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333](this is an apples to oranges comparison and is mainly here for Master 7 or 11 owners)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Low frequency has the best control.  Details are plentiful.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Mids are at another level; voice just sounds real and flows with ease.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Smooth natural high frequency; little or no grain.  Sounds amazing.  This is where the HDMI I2S input into the M7 really makes the biggest difference for me.  Listening fatigue has been greatly minimized and this is using a solid state amp running T1s![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Much greater separation and micro-details; music sounds more real in every way.  Least congested; effortless and fluid at the same time as extremely detailed. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]o Deeper soundstage. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Clearly a big step up, sounds like a fresh new system.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Summary[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]When I decided to get the DI-U8 I originally thought the AP was going to best it when comparing the S/PDIF outputs, but that the DI-U8 would shine using I2S HDMI.  So I’m pretty impressed that the Audio-gd is the winner to my ears through its S/PDIF output, even with the extra interconnect cable required. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]For Audio-gd M7 and M11 users, the DI-U8 via HDMI is a major step in the right direction if you are not now using Amanero or an external I2S converter.  The difference here is immediately obvious and makes my M7 sound like a completely different dac.  Nothing is perfect, there is always better, but this combination really shines. [/COLOR]

Great feedback, Peter. I guess you meant ascending order,

This confirms my own experience with i2s and the audio-gd interface. For me, i2s is a must with the m7. And the fact that the latest interfaces beat most of the older ones, even some more expensive one. One very good reason not to put a forture on a usb interface. The di-u8 is also a reclocker, which gives it additional value.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #99 of 112
Stuck a decent power cable on the DI-U8 - deep cryo treated NEP-3003 power cable with Furutech FI-28 (R) connectors (from the venerable Take Five Audio in Canada).  Its a bit overkill considering the cable rivals the converter in price.  I originally got the power cable for the Master 7 and the combo wasn't to my liking as my system is so neutral already.  But on the DI-U8 it kicks butt and takes the performance up a significant notch. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #100 of 112
  Stuck a decent power cable...it kicks butt and takes the performance up a significant notch. 

I'm going to call myself on this one - the placebo affect took over here to a certain degree when sticking something new into the system and immediately thinking it is better because the sound is different.  Plus one might think an aftermarket cable is always better than the stock cable.

In this case the sound is different but not necessarily better.  With the Rhodium connectors the sound is denser and more solid.  With the stock cable more airy and light.  Actually the stock cable does an excellent job, and maybe you could say an aftermarket cable is not necessary with the DI-U8.  Possibly the oversize power supply makes that happen.

I still like the Neotech cable better than stock.  But I think it would be a matter of preference on what kind of sound you are into.  On other equipment a good cable is a must, on the DI-U8 I'm thinking not so much.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #101 of 112
Silly question, I'm finding that I'm going to be able to use my MBP that has 24/192 toslink output instead of my iMac I bought this for. Is there any reason to continue using my DI-U8 for going coaxial to a DAC through the DI-U8 vs direct via toslink? Further, should I instead use the USB audio out to the DI-U8 vs the toslink to the DI-U8?

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #102 of 112
Silly question, I'm finding that I'm going to be able to use my MBP that has 24/192 toslink output instead of my iMac I bought this for. Is there any reason to continue using my DI-U8 for going coaxial to a DAC through the DI-U8 vs direct via toslink? Further, should I instead use the USB audio out to the DI-U8 vs the toslink to the DI-U8?

The DI-U8 will bring better results than going direct from your computer to Dac. Whether you connect via toslink or USB to the DI-U8 I'm not sure. You can try them and see. I've never tried toslink as a connector.

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #103 of 112
I'm going to call myself on this one - the placebo affect took over here to a certain degree when sticking something new into the system and immediately thinking it is better because the sound is different.  Plus one might think an aftermarket cable is always better than the stock cable.

In this case the sound is different but not necessarily better.  With the Rhodium connectors the sound is denser and more solid.  With the stock cable more airy and light.  Actually the stock cable does an excellent job, and maybe you could say an aftermarket cable is not necessary with the DI-U8.  Possibly the oversize power supply makes that happen.

I still like the Neotech cable better than stock.  But I think it would be a matter of preference on what kind of sound you are into.  On other equipment a good cable is a must, on the DI-U8 I'm thinking not so much.

I like swapping power cables. And it's not necesarilly the most expensive that is the best. The one I prefer overall cost under 100 usd. A good match matters.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #104 of 112
I like swapping power cables. And it's not necesarilly the most expensive that is the best. The one I prefer overall cost under 100 usd. A good match matters.

Sometimes you don't need to go crazy with power cords, but generally the one that come from the manufacturer need to be tossed in the garbage.  Maybe not on your first audio purchase, but sometime in the future for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back