Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,726 of 5,351
Does anybody have experience with HDMI -> IIS and S/PDIF converters? I see some finished boxes for about 45 euros that look ok but I haven't seen whether they can output DSD or only PCM. I'd like to be able to use the HDMI output of an SACD player into a DDC.
It may be a bit early for that since there is not a standard for IIS pin-out. Unless the design allows for soft switching between different pin outs, it would be difficult to adapt.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #4,728 of 5,351
It may be a bit early for that since there is not a standard for IIS pin-out. Unless the design allows for soft switching between different pin outs, it would be difficult to adapt.

The ones I have seen advertised use the PS audio standard. But in my case, the useful function is HDMI -> coaxial S/PDIF

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #4,729 of 5,351
The ones I have seen advertised use the PS audio standard. But in my case, the useful function is HDMI -> coaxial S/PDIF

I was a bit concerned since some years ago I read that cheap HDMI receivers can burn up gear. They warned against using set top boxes as input to AV receivers etc.

Is there any basis for this? Thank you.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #4,730 of 5,351
I was a bit concerned since some years ago I read that cheap HDMI receivers can burn up gear. They warned against using set top boxes as input to AV receivers etc.

Is there any basis for this? Thank you.
Setup boxes are exposed to lightning and power surges from the external world. And yes, HDMI receivers are sensitive and get blown first. In your case, when connecting to a DVD player, there is no danger.

You need a device that would strip HDCP protection before conversion.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #4,731 of 5,351
Setup boxes are exposed to lightning and power surges from the external world. And yes, HDMI receivers are sensitive and get blown first. In your case, when connecting to a DVD player, there is no danger.

You need a device that would strip HDCP protection before conversion.
Thank you.

I guess these Chinese boards strip the protection but I will check. In my case I would use an audio-only HDMI out from the SACD player to the board, I didn't consider whether it was protected/encrypted.

There was a strange note that the output will be noisy when using ESS9038 DACs. I didn't understand why.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #4,732 of 5,351
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,733 of 5,351
I gave up the idea of looking for a switch with clock input for now so...

Ordered the iFi ZEN STREAM and a pretty decent SPDIF/COX cable.

the idea is to use DI20HE spdif input for the ZS.

Is that a bad idea of processing digital signal like this?

ZS -> - (SPDIF input- DI20HE - i2S and SPDIF output) - -> R8 or TT2

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,734 of 5,351
I gave up the idea of looking for a switch with clock input for now so...

Ordered the iFi ZEN STREAM and a pretty decent SPDIF/COX cable.

the idea is to use DI20HE spdif input for the ZS.

Is that a bad idea of processing digital signal like this?

Think DI20HE->IIS->R8 should be perfect, not sure how SPDIF -> TT2 compares

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #4,735 of 5,351
Think DI20HE->IIS->R8 should be perfect, not sure how SPDIF -> TT2 compares
I use:

i2s/iis/hdmi for R8 yes

and coax/spdif from DI20HE to TT2, which sounds 1000times better than optical from MATRIX SPDIF2 into the TT2. The sound is gloving and organic, it feels warm but still scissor sharp in a way. Im amazed.

____

But I am asking for the chain of ZEN STREAM. Is good that that the signal from ZS goes into the DI20HE(SPDIF/RCA/INPUT)
-This means when I am gonna listen to the ZEN STREAM I have to change INPUT to SPDIF/COAX on DI20HE, then I can still listen to my 2 dacs.

The SOURCE/INPUT changes from USB/GAMING PC/JCAT USB XE to RCA/SPDIF/ZENSTREAM.

It goes out digital from ZENSTREAM, into DI20HE and out digital into the R8 or TT2 and then analog out to headphones.

(Well I guess I kinda answered this question because USB from gaming is also digital)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #4,736 of 5,351
Why not USB to DI-20HE?

Disable internal WiFi, but you can use WiFi extender on a short UTP cable. A cheapest way to deal with network ground loops.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #4,737 of 5,351
Why not USB to DI-20HE?

Disable internal WiFi, but you can use WiFi extender on a short UTP cable. A cheapest way to deal with network ground loops.
The USB(5 meter cable to DI20HE) is used by my Gaming pc.

I want to add a streamer as source also since the DI20HE has this input SPDIF/RCA

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #4,738 of 5,351
You are asking after you ordered the box. We cannot help much now :wink:

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #4,739 of 5,351
Why not USB to DI-20HE?

This is definitly something I got to do physically. I hate wifi adapters in general. So Im gonna dissassemble it and remove the connectors. I hope it still works.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #4,740 of 5,351
I use:

i2s/iis/hdmi for R8 yes

and coax/spdif from DI20HE to TT2, which sounds 1000times better than optical from MATRIX SPDIF2 into the TT2. The sound is gloving and organic, it feels warm but still scissor sharp in a way. Im amazed.

____

But I am asking for the chain of ZEN STREAM. Is good that that the signal from ZS goes into the DI20HE(SPDIF/RCA/INPUT)
-This means when I am gonna listen to the ZEN STREAM I have to change INPUT to SPDIF/COAX on DI20HE, then I can still listen to my 2 dacs.

The SOURCE/INPUT changes from USB/GAMING PC/JCAT USB XE to RCA/SPDIF/ZENSTREAM.

It goes out digital from ZENSTREAM, into DI20HE and out digital into the R8 or TT2 and then analog out to headphones.

(Well I guess I kinda answered this question because USB from gaming is also digital)

I have similar question, concerning to Ifi ZEN stream.
My chain: Mano Ultra -> coax/Spdif -> DI20-HE -> I2S -> R8 (EC), LHY-OCK1 clock for DDC and DAC
Mano is good streamer with a very good power supply.

Now I'm looking for an alternate USB source, better then Mano. I have got an Ifi ZEN for testing with the iPower-X power supply.
Via USB the 3D soundstage is more excact, but in every other aspect the coax better for me.
With the USB source I hear a "digital taste" which I do not like, the coax is lifelike, organic.
I did not use USB noise filter between ZEN and DI20.

So my question, which protokoll is better in theory?
USB or coax is better implementation on DI20-HE, or equal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back