Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #4,291 of 5,348
Makes me wonder how a U18 (or DI20 non-HE) + a quality power regenerator like the PS Audio PowerPlant 3 would fare vs the DI20HE.
I recently upgraded from DI20 to HE and surprisingly HE sounds considerably better with Burmester 038 power conditioner just like DI20 did. Straight from wall or conditioning turned off sound degrades.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #4,292 of 5,348
So I've consistently heard others on this thread say DI20HE > Gustard U18 (which I have), but also, IIRC, that the Gustard U18 > DI20 (non-HE).

Makes me wonder how a U18 (or DI20 non-HE) + a quality power regenerator like the PS Audio PowerPlant 3 would fare vs the DI20HE.

Yes, the combo is significantly more expensive than the DI20HE, but then one could also use the power regen with one's DAC and clock and pre-amp, effectively turning them all into 'HE'-adjacent versions in Audio-gd lingo...

Anyone done this with the U18 and/or DI20 (non-HE)? And better yet, compared it to the DI20HE? I am tempted by the DI20HE, but the I2S DSD flag compatibility limitation gives me pause. Hence doing the mental gymnastics on the separate power regen option.

(Edit - I should perhaps be asking this over on the U18 thread...)

Incidentally, from my crash course in the last month or so in 3 x DDCs, 2 x modern DACs (an SMSL AK4499 and this week the R26) and clocks (well, ok, singular, the OCK-1), my conclusion is it is always somewhere between quite noticeable and dramatic how much a quality 10mhz external clock improves everything, and the more devices in your chain that you can connect the clock to, the better. I now find myself looking at previously appealing products with new eyes, noting with disappointment only a minority accept an external clock.

@ChJL I would advise getting the best DAC you can afford that has an external clock input* AND get/try one of the decent ~USD500 clocks referred in this thread. I know I'm far from the first to express this sentiment, but I heartily endorse it. *With limited exceptions of higher end DACs like the T+A DAC200 that are accepted to have have pretty much pulled out all the stops on the internal clocks.

I have both DI-20 base and HE versions. I swapped the base version into my headstation from my big rig. I didn't do a side by side comparison and I'm not sure I noticed a big difference. I think the HE is worth the money anyway for the better power supply.

Agreed with everybody about the benefits of good clocks. When I run my DI-20/HE into a Mutec MC3+ USB on the way to my R8 MK2 it adds a bit of air and sparkle.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,293 of 5,348
So I've consistently heard others on this thread say DI20HE > Gustard U18 (which I have), but also, IIRC, that the Gustard U18 > DI20 (non-HE).

Yes, the combo is significantly more expensive than the DI20HE, but then one could also use the power regen with one's DAC and clock and pre-amp, effectively turning them all into 'HE'-adjacent versions in Audio-gd lingo...

Anyone done this with the U18 and/or DI20 (non-HE)? And better yet, compared it to the DI20HE? I am tempted by the DI20HE, but the I2S DSD flag compatibility limitation gives me pause. Hence doing the mental gymnastics on the separate power regen option.

(Edit - I should perhaps be asking this over on the U18 thread...)

Incidentally, from my crash course in the last month or so in 3 x DDCs, 2 x modern DACs (an SMSL AK4499 and this week the R26) and clocks (well, ok, singular, the OCK-1), my conclusion is it is always somewhere between quite noticeable and dramatic how much a quality 10mhz external clock improves everything, and the more devices in your chain that you can connect the clock to, the better. I now find myself looking at previously appealing products with new eyes, noting with disappointment only a minority accept an external clock.

@ChJL I would advise getting the best DAC you can afford that has an external clock input* AND get/try one of the decent ~USD500 clocks referred in this thread. I know I'm far from the first to express this sentiment, but I heartily endorse it. *With limited exceptions of higher end DACs like the T+A DAC200 that are accepted to have have pretty much pulled out all the stops on the internal clocks.
I have non-he audio gd products like the r8, regular di20, etc and I use the ps audio regen with great results. Keep in mind that the regen in the audio gd are pure class A while my ps audio regen is class ab. Still I'm able to hear the difference between a regular conditioner vs my ps regen. I don't have any "he" products from adg to compare though unfortunately. I just got a used ps regen to save myself from spending more on all the he products from agd.

I've asked kingwa about this and his response was;

"It is not only the external power work under class AB result , but the design is most important .It just like a lot power amps work under class AB but the sound may different large as USA to China.If the external power is high end level, I guess the DI20 sound quality is very close Di20HE .
Kingwa"

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4,294 of 5,348
If the external power is high end level, I guess the DI20 sound quality is very close Di20HE .
Kingwa"
It is very close, closer than I thought. Still can't say I am disappointed with the upgrade.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #4,295 of 5,348
The latest usb input on Audio-gd's latest dacs is excellent. The di20he only brings a small improvement. But it has other advantages. FWs do not all sound the same, nor does the parallel mode vs serial. Same with i2s cables or any digital cable. So you can fine-tune the sound to your likings.

The older usb input can't compare.

It is all about noise as audio-gd's dacs are not using the clock of the incoming signal.
is this why my 2021 r8 sound difference between i2s and aes are not really noticeable? aes feels a bit warmer while i2s feels analytical .

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #4,297 of 5,348
Is there a significant difference between the coaxial vs i2s or aes from the di20 to dac?

Oct 29, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #4,298 of 5,348
Is there a significant difference between the coaxial vs i2s or aes from the di20 to dac?
Depends on the dac more than on the di20. The rca out i think has the lowest jitter on the di20 according to a review including measurements. It was the unit with the lowest jitter ever measured by this reviewer. I2s was not measured.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #4,299 of 5,348

You could look at it in terms of bandwidth. IIS has by far the most, AES/EBU has better physical and electrical transmission characteristics than coax although recent-ish S/PDIF coax standard goes to 24/192, same as AES/EBU. So one way to look at it is if you play Redbook, it's well within spec for any transport. If you play highres 24/192 you're at the top of the specified range for AES/EBU and coax. If you play high rate PCM, DXD, or high bitrate DSD then as a practical matter you need IIS. We didn't mention ACSS, which is rated to 32/352(?) and is really much better than S/PDIF coax. But most non Audio-gd gear does not have a provision for that kind of bandwidth on S/PDIF coax receivers, so you still can't play anything above 24/192 reliably.

To me, S/PDIF (coax or optical) is the least desirable. AES/EBU has locking connectors and I make my own cables; it's a pro standard. S/PDIF is a consumer standard, cables don't lock. I never use S/PDIF if I have any other option. ACSS coax is very good. The BNC connectors were the right choice. Now, this is coax as it always should have been.

In my setup, maybe AES/EBU out of the DI-20HE into a Mutec MC-3+ USB and from there into the DAC (R8 MK2) has a slight edge in clarity and space over IIS direct. But it varies by recording so I am not certain I could say absolutely one or the other.

As always, try 'em all and use the one(s) you prefer.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #4,300 of 5,348
The latest usb input on Audio-gd's latest dacs is excellent. The di20he only brings a small improvement.
I'm with you all the way. I have an Audio GD R-28 2022. The introduction of the DI20HE only polished the sound a bit, from an audiophile point of view, but it didn't make a dramatic change. The USB Audio GD R-28 2022 ( Win11, ASIO ) performance is excellent in itself.
Audio PC => USB GothicAudio => DI20HE => I2S AudioQuest Carbon 48 Braid => Audio GD R-28 2022 ...
Power cables WireWorld Electra 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back