Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #3,871 of 5,353
Not sure if anyone can help. My mate & I just invested in a pair of these DI-20HE's. We both have similar systems using the ifi STREAM as a source.
Whereas everything all works fine outputting USB from the Stream and into the 20HE, attempting to use the SPDIF output from the stream causes a loud squeal when the music is paused.

I have read as much as I can of this thread to try to find a solution. The units are new with 4075 firmware.

I am new to these DDCs, so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Cheers

V
What file format are you streaming? Are you upsampling?

It sounds like you are trying to use a sample rate or dsd upsampling beyond the limits of spdif which is 24/192 and dsd over dop 64.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #3,872 of 5,353
Not sure if anyone can help. My mate & I just invested in a pair of these DI-20HE's. We both have similar systems using the ifi STREAM as a source.
Whereas everything all works fine outputting USB from the Stream and into the 20HE, attempting to use the SPDIF output from the stream causes a loud squeal when the music is paused.

I have read as much as I can of this thread to try to find a solution. The units are new with 4075 firmware.

I am new to these DDCs, so any suggestions would be welcomed!

Cheers

V
The bnc outout won't necessarily work, depending on the dac. Make sure you have the right output. From the rear, the spdif outs are the first 3 from the left. Give rca a try. Or aes/ebu.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,873 of 5,353
He should also report it in the ifi stream thread here. It sounds like the stream isn't muting all outputs when it's not playing, could be easily fixed in firmware.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,874 of 5,353
He should also report it in the ifi stream thread here. It sounds like the stream isn't muting all outputs when it's not playing, could be easily fixed in firmware.
Absolutely right, I was just busy typing. However problem is that ifi is actually disabling output completely instead of muting digital data. Lack of the signal cause DI-20 lose synchronisation. All devices I know continue sending embedded clock signal with a digital silence. Ifi should fix it.

Kingwa could try to fix this issue by muting data after loosing sync, but such information is available with a delay, some click would be still present. It would affect response to the normal transmission errors, normally not noticeable, so better fix it at the source.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #3,876 of 5,353
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #3,878 of 5,353
It is just a clock cable.
You wrote Gustard C2 and I thought it must be the clock itself :D

Now I see they even have a model number for the cable. That's marketing :p

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #3,880 of 5,353
What file format are you streaming? Are you upsampling?

It sounds like you are trying to use a sample rate or dsd upsampling beyond the limits of spdif which is 24/192 and dsd over dop 64.
Hi....thanks for taking this up.
I just got the DDC.....not trying to do anything fancy.
I was running the ZS directly into my DAC via SPDIF cable. I used the same connection with DDC, so SPDIF from ZS into DDC.
Played fine right away, but issue came when I paused track & got loud squeal. I was using Tidal HiFi at the time, but does same with files....standard redbook mainly is what I play.
I tried to trouble shoot. USB fine, & output from DDC doesnt matter.
I tested DDC SPDIF input with 2 other devices....my CDplayer & a Bluetooth receiver. Both fine.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,881 of 5,353
Hi....thanks for taking this up.
I just got the DDC.....not trying to do anything fancy.
I was running the ZS directly into my DAC via SPDIF cable. I used the same connection with DDC, so SPDIF from ZS into DDC.
Played fine right away, but issue came when I paused track & got loud squeal. I was using Tidal HiFi at the time, but does same with files....standard redbook mainly is what I play.
I tried to trouble shoot. USB fine, & output from DDC doesnt matter.
I tested DDC SPDIF input with 2 other devices....my CDplayer & a Bluetooth receiver. Both fine.

It is not unusual to hear some noises, like pops or short burst of sound, when switching between hi-res (DSD) to redbook. Normally, between redbook to redbook should be quite. Are you switching between sources, like Tidal to DSD?

Also, you may want to leave the DI20 to burn-in for a few weeks before it sounds best. However, I don't think that would affect the load squeal.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #3,882 of 5,353
It is not unusual to hear some noises, like pops or short burst of sound, when switching between hi-res (DSD) to redbook. Normally, between redbook to redbook should be quite. Are you switching between sources, like Tidal to DSD?

Also, you may want to leave the DI20 to burn-in for a few weeks before it sounds best. However, I don't think that would affect the load squeal.
Thanks for the reply. Yes.....do get the clicks & pops when changing formats. That is not the concern. Its the squeal which is quite loud when I use the SPDIF input and pause a track, be it from files on USB stick or Tidal. Also happens if I switch ZS off.

All is good via USB input.

I dont have any DSD files..............

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #3,883 of 5,353
Thanks for the reply. Yes.....do get the clicks & pops when changing formats. That is not the concern. Its the squeal which is quite loud when I use the SPDIF input and pause a track, be it from files on USB stick or Tidal. Also happens if I switch ZS off.

All is good via USB input.

I dont have any DSD files..............
Are you using windows, mac, android?

What is the sample rate you are using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back