Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 5, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #3,079 of 5,348
Do i keep pressing the button and turn it off? I opened the device and the button is wired/connected. The usb cable u mean the usb blaster connected to the port? Is the button supposed to light up red?
You have quite a bit of confusion, lol...
Keep calm. So:
With unit ON press the button for a couple of sec. Then turn off.
I told usb cable, not Altera blaster. Two different path for different updates. Usb, direct from your DI-20 to the PC. The button doesn't have any light. It works simply as a short circuit between two points on amanero board.
If you don't feel comfortable with the procedure, better not to start without some help. You may risk to have your gear not working...

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #3,080 of 5,348
You have quite a bit of confusion, lol...
Keep calm. So:
With unit ON press the button for a couple of sec. Then turn off.
I told usb cable, not Altera blaster. Two different path for different updates. Usb, direct from your DI-20 to the PC. The button doesn't have any light. It works simply as a short circuit between two points on amanero board.
If you don't feel comfortable with the procedure, better not to start without some help. You may risk to have your gear not working...
Opps so I have been
Doing this wrong all along. I will try usin the USB cable to connect ans see how that goes.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3,082 of 5,348
ok so it looks like I manage to load the new FW for the USB now with the USB cable, was using the blaster all along, idiot. Now I have to update the FW for R7 to play DSD properly but seems Kingwa does not have the FW for the older R7. Not sure. Awaiting his reply.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #3,083 of 5,348
Hey guys just wanted to report on the difference power cables can make with the DI-20. I had the Aurora 7 cable from Wireworld laying around from it's use with former amps, which BTW made a significant difference especially along with a top-class power conditioner, but even without it was still able to yield a better sound than a generic power cable into a standard power outlet. Better in this case was more organic, rich, smooth and detailed.
aurora-.png
So just yesterday I thought I'd try it into the DI-20. Thinking it may not do anything because my DI-20 must have already reached it's peak potential, I thought - what the heck. Boy was I WRONG! The sound of the DI-20 now can only be described with words such as spectacular and engulfing... eclipsing just about anything you can imagine! It went from sounding fantastic with great realism, authority and detail to sounding totally lucid with engulfing realism, deeper into the scene and smoother details. I had a few songs with fatiguing treble that I dealt with because I thought that was just the way it was recorded - but now the treble manages to be even more detailed but at the same time less tiresome. I'm now getting better bass, more holographic sound and everything is more organic / true to life, along with the smoother treble lets me turn up the volume more with less fatigue. Just plain luscious!

Interestingly I had already written off the merits of aftermarket power cables with the DI-20, being that I already had a failed experiment a while back. I took a standard power cable like the thicker black one shown in the middle of the photo below and tried a few ferrite clamps (ferrite beads / chokes) of different ratings on it, but IMO it only had negative impact on the sound; edgier or more dull accordingly; since then I was happy with just the standard medium-thick cord - that is, until I tried the Aurora 7 cable. Also note that yes I did a few A/B comparisons with these cables and the difference was repeatable not subtle.
aurora.jpg

My theory on why this has such a big impact on the sound would have to do with overall clean power in my chain. Logically you cannot get a "better quality" binary stream of 0's and 1's coming out of this DDC by improving power filtering. So what's going on here? Certainly part of it must have to do with better EMI/RFI, etc. rejection inside the DI-20, but I think a lion's share of the difference is also due to the fact that supplying cleaner power to your DI-20 also has the effect of trickling down this cleaner power to the rest of your chain; IE to your DAC. My Chord Qutest DAC this is connected to already uses a very high performing (and affordable) linear DC power conditioner (LPS); the only one in the world exactly like it thanks to a custom request to @Triode User . Now instead of feeding my DAC clean DC power and 'iffy' signal and/or power from the BNC cable that comes from the DI-20, now both cables are giving it ultra clean power, and the sound I'm getting is just incredible.

Of course YMMV a lot, depending on your chain especially the chosen DAC, existence of any power conditioner and/or power conditioning cables, and if your DI-20 is the standard or HE version. I have the normal version but IIRC the HE version has a separate power section so may/not benefit from such power filtering. For me the sound I'm getting is a culmination of this and many customizations including very premium specific ferrite chokes on USB cable from PC to the DDC and more on the BNC output cable, thick silver RCA audio cable, etc. And by no means do I proclaim this to be the 'world's best' option, this 5-foot (custom length) cable went for only $150 and there are numerous other options out there including pricier as well.

For me though this is the best I've ever heard the DI-20 anyway... and in a bit I will finally try the newer firmware from October.
Facts. Once I hooked a Powervar power conditioner to the line with the Di20, it's an all around eargasm now in my set up... It's unreal.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,085 of 5,348
Part of the reasons why DI20HE is more popular than the non HE version.
I'm tempted to upgrade my base DI-20 to HE but as far as I know the power here is pretty good.

For me it comes down to heat. Does anybody have info on DI-20HE case temps in operation?

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,086 of 5,348
Part of the reasons why DI20HE is more popular than the non HE version.
yeah, I feel ya on that. I found a good deal on the non-HE and just had to bite at a low pricepoint to see if the buzz was real...plus, at close to $1k, I got more gear I need to get before I step to the HE

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #3,088 of 5,348
I would rate the DI20HE is one of my best buys in my setup.
As paired with my AGD R-27, I can truthfully say I have reached end-game status with the DI-20HE. I would never have believed it was possible lol.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #3,089 of 5,348
I'm tempted to upgrade my base DI-20 to HE but as far as I know the power here is pretty good.

For me it comes down to heat. Does anybody have info on DI-20HE case temps in operation?
It's really not about thinking your power is probably pretty clean so you must be getting great sound. My impression is that no matter how clean your energy is, there will be some 'loss' of performance with the DI-20 normal if your using anything short of a top-rated 'boutique' shielded power cable. That loss may be in the form of RF interference or just decay of the clean power source. Even though both were connected to my Furman IT Ref-15i power conditioner, I heard a far cleaner sound with blacker background, smoother treble, larger soundstage etc. with my boutique shielded cable than with multiple generic black power cables connected to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back