Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #2,748 of 5,353
My clock experience is different as mentioned before.
I have a 8663-XS OCXO Oscilloquartz with an LPS and it decrease the resolution in my opinion.
The internal clocks give more information in my chain, tested with 3.993 and 4.076.
Best setup for me is stock with the DI20HE and I2S to the May.

I have the same clock and a Teradak LPS for it coming soon. I will try it latter on and post my opinion, but those are somehow bad news for me! I hope I can have a different experience with mi DI-20 (non HE).

Wich LPS and BNC cable do you have? Have you tried a different (more expensive) OCXO with your DI-20HE?

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #2,750 of 5,353
Is streamer -> dac via I2S worse than
streamer -> DI-20 via USB -> Dax via I2S?
I’ve never tested it, but I think the result depends on the quality of the streamer’s I2S output.
I have a Magna Mano Ultra (raspberry based) streamer with very good quality I2S.
Does anyone know non-raspberry based streamers with I2S output?

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #2,751 of 5,353
Wich LPS and BNC cable do you have? Have you tried a different (more expensive) OCXO with your DI-20HE?

I hope your result will differ from mine. My LPS is the 25W Talmea standard LPS, with the LED Voltage display on the front and a switch. My DI20HE sounds stock the best, even better than the MAY USB input which is already one of the better USB inputs. The DI20HE soundstage is deeper, but not wider...i am looking at depth, width and imaging…and with the ocxo the image is not as precise and the highs are less resolved and smeared…the cable is a standard 75O cable…maybe it is a result of the cable and the LPS, but for me, i will not do any further investment in this direction...

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,752 of 5,353
I hope your result will differ from mine. My LPS is the 25W Talmea standard LPS, with the LED Voltage display on the front and a switch. My DI20HE sounds stock the best, even better than the MAY USB input which is already one of the better USB inputs. The DI20HE soundstage is deeper, but not wider...i am looking at depth, width and imaging…and with the ocxo the image is not as precise and the highs are less resolved and smeared…the cable is a standard 75O cable…maybe it is a result of the cable and the LPS, but for me, i will not do any further investment in this direction...
Of course, get a RG400 on ebay. 75ohm is no good.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #2,754 of 5,353
I would like to request some help.

I needed to reinstall the combo384 firmware.

I followed the instructions on oemtools117 and erased di firmware with red button, and then flashed CPLD. It worked. Then I disconnected and reconnected usb several times as instructed and then tried to flash cpu.

My pc claimed I needed to erase di firmware before doing so However, I did that before flashing CPLD..

I am using 1080. Should I be using version 1081? Does it work the same?

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,755 of 5,353
You can find typical cable parameters in comparison table. Read notes on the top, it is important.

Note that some parameters are irrelevant in this application, by example loss/ft and Vmax, others are. OD is critical, will tell you whether cable will fit the connector. A solid type of dielectric gives a largest time delay. A different dielectric type will balance a choice between square and a sine clock. I am not an expert to make suggestions, but I think that generally for a clock application solid dielectric should be avoided (even on such short distances).

Big brands like Belden offer number of improvements to the standard specification and quality control matters. It can be more important than minor differences in a table. LMR types are not covered by a standard MIL specification, but some are improved versions of RG-types.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,756 of 5,353
I would like to request some help.

I needed to reinstall the combo384 firmware.

I followed the instructions on oemtools117 and erased di firmware with red button, and then flashed CPLD. It worked. Then I disconnected and reconnected usb several times as instructed and then tried to flash cpu.

My pc claimed I needed to erase di firmware before doing so However, I did that before flashing CPLD..

I am using 1080. Should I be using version 1081? Does it work the same?
Follow a guide on the Audio GD website instead. A difference between Amanero standard module is that unplugging USB cable doesn't reset Amanero module. You have to power off DI-20 instead.
2) ERASE THE FLASH
Connect the DI20-HE to your computer using USB cable. Press the update button for 2 seconds. Then unplug the USB cable and shut the DI20-HE down.
Reconnect the USB cable and power the DI20-HE up
The same applies in the further steps, I think (as I have to do it on my R2R11). You can also follow Amanero PDF guide (after pressing a red button), but when you see "unplug the USB cable", power down DI-20/HE instead.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,757 of 5,353
I powered off instead of usb disconnect. IT WORKED.
I now ave music working but in device manager it claims tat amereno384 is missing driver. How do I get the driver?

Again- it works- I have music, but pc claims no drver.

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,758 of 5,353
Reinstall Amanero driver.

Ooops, sorry. Download the latest driver from Amanero website.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2,760 of 5,353
Hi guys.

I assembled my hdmi i2s cabke based on the dhlabs reunion cat8 bulk cable today. I had to cut a 35cm length and strategically give the two connectors the proper angle from one another as it is a very stiff cable. To make it work, the shield as to be used as ground.

To make a story very short, it easily beats the Belden Series Fe. It is more fluid and resolved, more organic and relax. I am very happy with it. Not an easy an project. The hdmi connectors are from aliexpress.

Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back