Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,731 of 5,348
Hi guys ,
I want your expertise on the choice of usb/ spdif converter.
My server/stremer is usb out only,my newly( not arrived yet) dac,abbas esoteric 3.1 dac is spdif input only.
I m planning to borrow my friend singxer su1to play with when the dac arrives.
I ve read here that the best is the audio gd 20 he,but i read that is quite problematic and complicated to set,software issues updates... I want to avoid hassles ,but if it is worth it,i ll go for it.
My choices are su1 ,su6 or the he20.
Conversion from usb to coax is straight forward but i have a question regarding clocking.
I have etherregen here and after i clocked it in the pass with gpsdo clock( now sold) ,it is essential for me to clock it again.
Can i use the su6 or he20 clock to clock it?
Another question,i want to use tv sound,but the optical output is out of service,can i use hdmi arc out to su6 or he 20 or su1?
What would be your choice for my situation ,i want the best sound quality.
Thks
No and no.

What you need is a 10M clock with multiple outputs, including a 50ohms for the di20he. HDMI is not possible, it uses the i2s protocol on these converters. It's not even an input, it is just an i2s out.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,732 of 5,348
I am very interested on using a win 7/10 as guest in the vmware workstation/vmplayer to connect to the usb blaster(that will be much easier to capture the screen including the booting process of the guest OS, and will not need to uninstall my installed drivers on my host machine). Just found a discussion on this with version Quartus 16.x.

Just put a link here: Programming problems with VMware and Windows 10
The process is quite easy, as long as the USBlaster is recognized and driver installed. But this two steps cause a lot of grief to some.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,733 of 5,348
The process is quite easy, as long as the USBlaster is recognized and driver installed. But this two steps cause a lot of grief to some.
I knew it is easy on the host machine. So I documented this and Kingwa posted it on his website. I want to do a better document but I don't want to uninstall the usb blaster drivers already installed on the host.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #2,734 of 5,348
I knew it is easy on the host machine. So I documented this and Kingwa posted it on his website. I want to do a better document but I don't want to uninstall the usb blaster drivers already installed on the host.
Thanks, for doing this. But I think when most people run into issues, it is these steps that trip people up. Or maybe it's my way of saying, how to resolve these issues would be just as critical.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #2,735 of 5,348
No and no.

What you need is a 10M clock with multiple outputs, including a 50ohms for the di20he. HDMI is not possible, it uses the i2s protocol on these converters. It's not even an input, it is just an i2s out.
Ok thks for the info!
I was thinking the gisemann clock for etherregen,but etherregen is 75ohm i think.
20 he is 50 ohm,so i need to check a clock with 75 ohm for ER and one 50 ohm for he20.
Regarding sound quality ,any advice.....
Thks

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,736 of 5,348
Ok thks for the info!
I was thinking the gisemann clock for etherregen,but etherregen is 75ohm i think.
20 he is 50 ohm,so i need to check a clock with 75 ohm for ER and one 50 ohm for he20.
Regarding sound quality ,any advice.....
Thks
Some ebay clock can be ordered with a mix of the 50 and 75 ohms. The di20he can possibly be custom- ordered with a 75ohm clock input.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,737 of 5,348
Hi guys ,
I want your expertise on the choice of usb/ spdif converter.
My server/stremer is usb out only,my newly( not arrived yet) dac,abbas esoteric 3.1 dac is spdif input only.
I m planning to borrow my friend singxer su1to play with when the dac arrives.
I ve read here that the best is the audio gd 20 he,but i read that is quite problematic and complicated to set,software issues updates... I want to avoid hassles ,but if it is worth it,i ll go for it.
My choices are su1 ,su6 or the he20.
Conversion from usb to coax is straight forward but i have a question regarding clocking.
I have etherregen here and after i clocked it in the pass with gpsdo clock( now sold) ,it is essential for me to clock it again.
Can i use the su6 or he20 clock to clock it?
Another question,i want to use tv sound,but the optical output is out of service,can i use hdmi arc out to su6 or he 20 or su1?
What would be your choice for my situation ,i want the best sound quality.
Thks

I have the same issue as you, an OXCO (a cheap one I bought on ebay) with two 50 Ohm outputs, the DI-20 with one 50 Ohm clock input and ER with one 75 Ohm input (I didn't realize I could order it with 50 Ohm clock input when I bought the ER).

Alex Crespi from Uptone recomended me to buy the following 50 to 75 Ohm adaptor for the ER: https://www.adark.co/collections/cybershaft/products/cybershaft-50ω-整合器-cyb-ma01 Price is in hong kong dollars, about U$S 40 plus shipping.

I ordered one and a Teradak PSU for the clock. I will get them in about 1.5/2 months. I will post my impressions then. If it's a nice upgrade, maybe I can think about upgrading the clock.

By the way, I've never had any problems with the DI-20 really. Upgrading the firmware it's not really that complicated and it can keep on improving SQ after time and it never failed working with my R8 DAC or my R7-HE DAC since I have it. I only tested HDMI and AES/EBU.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,738 of 5,348
I have the same issue as you, an OXCO (a cheap one I bought on ebay) with two 50 Ohm outputs, the DI-20 with one 50 Ohm clock input and ER with one 75 Ohm input (I didn't realize I could order it with 50 Ohm clock input when I bought the ER).

Alex Crespi from Uptone recomended me to buy the following 50 to 75 Ohm adaptor for the ER: https://www.adark.co/collections/cybershaft/products/cybershaft-50ω-整合器-cyb-ma01 Price is in hong kong dollars, about U$S 40 plus shipping.

I ordered one and a Teradak PSU for the clock. I will get them in about 1.5/2 months. I will post my impressions then. If it's a nice upgrade, maybe I can think about upgrading the clock.

By the way, I've never had any problems with the DI-20 really. Upgrading the firmware it's not really that complicated and it can keep on improving SQ after time and it never failed working with my R8 DAC or my R7-HE DAC since I have it. I only tested HDMI and AES/EBU.
Thks a lot

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,740 of 5,348
If you get it before me, please post your impressions saying wich OXCO and PSU are you using to feed the ER and the DI-20.
I m planning to buy the ddc first.
I think there here who compared to su1 and su6 and say the d20 he is the best.
I think i will go for it first.
After i will go for gisemann clock i think with dual output,one for ER one for su6.
By the way,my friend just received today farad super 3 lps with y dc cable from david laboga,to power ER and edge router.
He s floored! He sent me video,it is amazing improvements.
Anybody here can support ,confirm my choice for d20 he and wich coax cable is recommended.
Thks

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,741 of 5,348
Had a friend over last night to try his LPS for my OXCO clock again. Its really amazing the influence of the LPS for the clock (and a bit worrying). My DI20 is the nonHE version and we tried with an isolating transformer as well and that gave a nice improvement. Together with the OXCO clock, the isolating transformer really improves on the natural sound and character of the already amazing DI-20.

But frustrating that power matters this much in the digital chain.. lots of LPSs needed :)

Had a similar experience with a friend's setup where we tried my Paul Hynes SR4T LPS with his OXCO clock; even more natural sounding and realistic character than his low-budget r-core LPS.

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,742 of 5,348
Had a friend over last night to try his LPS for my OXCO clock again. Its really amazing the influence of the LPS for the clock (and a bit worrying). My DI20 is the nonHE version and we tried with an isolating transformer as well and that gave a nice improvement. Together with the OXCO clock, the isolating transformer really improves on the natural sound and character of the already amazing DI-20.

But frustrating that power matters this much in the digital chain.. lots of LPSs needed :)

Had a similar experience with a friend's setup where we tried my Paul Hynes SR4T LPS with his OXCO clock; even more natural sounding and realistic character than his low-budget r-core LPS.
What type of OXCO clock are you using ? So it beats the internal clock of the DI-20 ?

Mar 14, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #2,743 of 5,348
What type of OXCO clock are you using ? So it beats the internal clock of the DI-20 ?
I’m using this one:

6C9E7F9F-18A7-4344-A899-1F9434523E8A.jpeg

Sorry, cannot send precise link, it does not work anymore :frowning2:

But the clock is very sensitive to the 12 volt lps as well as mentioned and takes 20 minutes to become stable - not suitable in comsumer products maybe :)

The improvement is noticable though: even more realism, better sound decay/symbils, better/more natural separation of instruments.

Also notice that I still have experiments with the different firmwares to do - I’m on 3.9 still.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #2,744 of 5,348
Ordered a DH Labs D-750 0.5m RCA-RCA cable from ebay seller "audiophileanswers" and received. Haven't tested yet.
The item was shipped from zip code 32615, which is on the contact address of DH Labs. I think the item was shipped directly from DH Labs.

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,745 of 5,348
Ordered a DH Labs D-750 0.5m RCA-RCA cable from ebay seller "audiophileanswers" and received. Haven't tested yet.
The item was shipped from zip code 32615, which is on the contact address of DH Labs. I think the item was shipped directly from DH Labs.
Let us know how it is. Should normally by excellent at the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back