Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #2,717 of 5,348
Yeah, I think the description of the BNC output as ACSS is confusing for most people.
BNC is just a type of the connector, like I2S LVDS connector which has nothing to do with HDMI.

It is the right type of the connector for digital transmission, RCA is not good, even for analog. There is no reason why RCA won a battle against DIN. And adoption of RCA for S/PDIF coax was confusing users for many years. Now at least we know that digital ACSS works on BNC connector.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #2,719 of 5,348
Am i missing something here?

The Hugo, unless not with a 75 omhs input or without the right sensitivity will likely work with the bnc acss output.

There a four audio outputs all in all: hdmi, aes/ebu, rca, bnc. They all output at the same time and can all be connected at the same time. In fact, i have bnc, aes/ebu and hdmi connected and i can switch the dac input to compare them on the fly.

As for the Oyaide, the dhlab d-750 likely beats it. One thing to pay attention to is the fact the Oyaide is directional and will sound quite better when used in the proper direction. Don't ask me why....
ok , yes it works! Now I am using my BNC cable from to R7 direct. I don't think Magna realize the ACSS is BNC, and Kingwa did not tell me the ACSS is for BNC, when I asked him about swapping RCA for BNC, though he probably think I was concerned about the input only. For strange reason most high end CD/SACD players don't have BNC out. I guess it is not that popular.

Do people prefer BNC out over HDMI ? Or vice versa ?

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #2,720 of 5,348
ok , yes it works! Now I am using my BNC cable from to R7 direct. I don't think Magna realize the ACSS is BNC, and Kingwa did not tell me the ACSS is for BNC, when I asked him about swapping RCA for BNC, though he probably think I was concerned about the input only. For strange reason most high end CD/SACD players don't have BNC out. I guess it is not that popular.

Do people prefer BNC out over HDMI ? Or vice versa ?
Have not tried lately but i prefered hdmi last time i tried. It's more raw. And aes/ebu to bnc, but likely because of the cable (dhlabs d110).

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,721 of 5,348
Hi Fred, this seller "audiophileanswers" (link) is also selling the same spec cable (same cable model and same plug model) as "audiohobby.au", how do you think about the termination qualities of both of them?

$100 is a pretty good price point for a solid silver cable if them terminated well as the factory products like Oyaide. My source is a RCA and I am not brave enough to change it and the DI-20 input to BNC connecters.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,722 of 5,348
Hi Fred, this seller "audiophileanswers" (link) is also selling the same spec cable (same cable model and same plug model) as "audiohobby.au", how do you think about the termination qualities of both of them?

$100 is a pretty good price point for a solid silver cable if them terminated well as the factory products like Oyaide. My source is a RCA and I am not brave enough to change it and the DI-20 input to BNC connecters.
Note the silver sonic is siiver plated only, Oyaida is solid silver. Also King-Wa. states the input RCA cannot be switched to BNC due to size issue in the small space. I wish the BNC clock input can be used but surely it is not the correct connector. BNC input would be quite useful you have a BNC from your transport/server, though that is not common

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2,723 of 5,348

Seems like a cable dhlabs made themselves, the connector should be good.

More info on dhlabs.com

https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,724 of 5,348
Note the silver sonic is siiver plated only, Oyaida is solid silver. Also King-Wa. states the input RCA cannot be switched to BNC due to size issue in the small space. I wish the BNC clock input can be used but surely it is not the correct connector. BNC input would be quite useful you have a BNC from your transport/server, though that is not common
Its 0.5m silver-plated cable for $100 is a little bit high, comparing to the Oyaida's 0.7m solid silver one. And Oyaida brand is well known already. Maybe DH Labs paid too much in testing their possible formulas when they developed such model.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #2,725 of 5,348
Its 0.5m silver-plated cable for $100 is a little bit high, comparing to the Oyaida's 0.7m solid silver one. And Oyaida brand is well known already. Maybe DH Labs paid too much in testing their possible formulas when they developed such model.
yah, I have. Oyaide Solid SILver BNC and RCA cable. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the solid silver HDMI any more

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #2,726 of 5,348
Seems like a cable dhlabs made themselves, the connector should be good.

More info on dhlabs.com

https://silversonic.com/products/digital-cables/d-750/
DH lab do make great cables. I have their USB and Optic cable. The optical cable is particularly nice, can beat a RCA SPDIF cable, I was planning to perhaps try their HDMI but I am thinking more of either wireworld or Chord company now

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,727 of 5,348
I have the original d-75. I think i prefer it to the oyaide. And the d110, it is awesone.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #2,728 of 5,348
The DI-20 is breaking in more now. The raw edge is less so on HDMI which has been a bit more so before. BNC via ACSS is sounding quite smooth and brighter than my DH lab AES cable (but it it copper). HDMII is definitely likely the winner when all burned in. But the other options do offer nice alternative sound, I suppose. Not sure why Kingwa skipped the optical out (I suppose no one wants it), though optical out can allow a longer cable with less degradation, though I suppose one can also use the AES if long cable is needed.

Has anyone tried HDMI fro Chord company:
https://www.thecableco.com/c-view-hdmi.html

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #2,729 of 5,348
Hi guys ,
I want your expertise on the choice of usb/ spdif converter.
My server/stremer is usb out only,my newly( not arrived yet) dac,abbas esoteric 3.1 dac is spdif input only.
I m planning to borrow my friend singxer su1to play with when the dac arrives.
I ve read here that the best is the audio gd 20 he,but i read that is quite problematic and complicated to set,software issues updates... I want to avoid hassles ,but if it is worth it,i ll go for it.
My choices are su1 ,su6 or the he20.
Conversion from usb to coax is straight forward but i have a question regarding clocking.
I have etherregen here and after i clocked it in the pass with gpsdo clock( now sold) ,it is essential for me to clock it again.
Can i use the su6 or he20 clock to clock it?
Another question,i want to use tv sound,but the optical output is out of service,can i use hdmi arc out to su6 or he 20 or su1?
What would be your choice for my situation ,i want the best sound quality.
Thks

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #2,730 of 5,348
I am very interested on using a win 7/10 as guest in the vmware workstation/vmplayer to connect to the usb blaster(that will be much easier to capture the screen including the booting process of the guest OS, and will not need to uninstall my installed drivers on my host machine). Just found a discussion on this with version Quartus 16.x.

Just put a link here: Programming problems with VMware and Windows 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back