Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,582 of 5,353
Because i try to figure out if the right way to upgrade is to the Neo Ultra in a DDC/Reclocker and then via AES in the Dac or take a streamer like G1/Ambre/U1 Mini that already got AES out and feed the Dac directly via AES.

@Deolum am a simple man. I don’t see how any of it will help you figure out which way to upgrade, but OTOH if it helps you all is good.

If I had the SOtM 200 and it worked well I would start by buying the DI20HE and use it together with the SOtM 200 you already have. If you want to upgrade to even better later on then you can either chose to upgrade to a SOtM ultra + quality LPS, or Innuos Zen/Zenith or something comparable. The point I try to make is that the DI20 HE is so good that at least I would start with upgrade to it.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,583 of 5,353
@Deolum am a simple man. I don’t see how any of it will help you figure out which way to upgrade, but OTOH if it helps you all is good.

If I had the SOtM 200 and it worked well I would start by buying the DI20HE and use it together with the SOtM 200 you already have. If you want to upgrade to even better later on then you can either chose to upgrade to a SOtM ultra + quality LPS, or Innuos Zen/Zenith or something comparable. The point I try to make is that the DI20 HE is so good that at least I would start with upgrade to it.
What i still don't understand tho is how does

Streamer via USB into DI-20 HE via AES into Dac

sound better than

Streamer via AES into Dac

if the DI-20 doesn't reclock the signal?

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,584 of 5,353

sound better than

The DI20HE re-clocks the signal, but it far from the only thing it does. It was an upgrade to me, even than I already had an audio PC with JCAT NET card + LPS and an ultraRendu and now with my Innuos Zenith mk3. With the Zenith mk3 the advantage of having the DI20HE is not as big as with my prior system (PC + ultraRendu + DI20HE), but the mere fact that it sounds better with it than without makes it a great DDC. I have 2 other DDC which I have compared the DI20HE too.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,585 of 5,353
The DI20HE re-clocks the signal, but it far from the only thing it does. It was an upgrade to me, even than I already had an audio PC with JCAT NET card + LPS and an ultraRendu and now with my Innuos Zenith mk3. With the Zenith mk3 the advantage of having the DI20HE is not as big as with my prior system (PC + ultraRendu + DI20HE), but the mere fact that it sounds better with it than without makes it a great DDC. I have 2 other DDC which I have compared the DI20HE too.
But what does it then other than reclocking?

I've just compared the Lumin U1 Mini now directly via AES into the Dac and first via USB in the Mutec MC-3+ Reclocker and then in the Dac via USB. I prefer the former.

Now if i prefer the Lumin directly into the Dac there might me a chance that i don't like the DI-20HE either. Or are there any significant differences between DI-20HE and MC3+?

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,586 of 5,353

sound better than

I may reclock or not, depends on the (negotiated) USB mode. In an ideal case it doesn't reclock, but USB data stream is synchronised with a quality internal DI-20 clock (or an external clock of your choice), see #8.
7, Built in the 150M high speed isolator between USB interface and FPGA signal processor. Because the isolator can effect the data and clock transmit, so the FPGA has corrected the timing to improved on sound quality .
8, The USB inteface and FPGA processor have applied the same clocks for avoid the different clocks effect the sound quality .
It looks like there are improvements in the output interface design, outputs are galvanically isolated same as USB input:
14, The 2nd generation ACSS SPdif output design that invented by Kingwa, which offers even further reduced signal degradation and better sound quality over a coaxial cable . The DI-20 also design standard coaxial output connector, with built-in silver wire isolation transformer.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #2,587 of 5,353
USB was not designed for audio, and it shows....I do not understand how 'the industry' fails to design a new and improved format for HQ audio, I2S works great with some effort but it was never designed for longer paths....what is it, is it that the likes of Philips and Sony are almost dead now? (well Philips pulled out of consumer electronics)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,588 of 5,353
Funny..
At this stage who still have R&D budget to be spent on such a trivial field like high end audio?
High end audio is the past of the entertainment industry. Now it is a niche market which catered by small time players and cottage industry.

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,589 of 5,353
Companies like Sony LG etc still do a fair bit of research, how hard can it be to design a great format to transfer digital audio signal that can also serve to improve other products betwen a few large companies and create a new standard?

I'm fine with high end being a cottage industry, I make most of what I need myself anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,590 of 5,353
There is nothing wrong with USB. The only problem, it require DC for negotiation, it makes it difficult to isolate galvanically. Many USB purifying devices do not work well, it is why a reputation. However USB has an unique ability of synchronising transfer speed based on the feedback received from the target device which is running with its own high precision clock of a fixed frequency (no drawbacks of async reclocking and/or PLL). It makes clock synchronisation super simple. A trick is to convert USB to I2S first on a dirty side, then feed I2S wires through the galvanic isolation. And now you can deal with I2S using HiFi rules. :)

USB will continue to expand. If any new HiFi interface standard is developed, it will have USB synchronisation method, replacing Word Clock feed forward method. It could be I2S kind with a clock feeding back and new handshaking lines. Or IP Ethernet as a transport (see trend in current network streamers).

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #2,591 of 5,353
the idea behind USB is not bad, I just hate how it sounds especially after having heard how much better S/PDIF sounds and then jumping to I2S, major leaps for mankind or something like that... :wink:

I love USB for everything else, but audio signal.

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #2,592 of 5,353
What's everyone's experience on Parallel and Serial? For me Parallel sounds lively but a bit harsh, Serial sounds darker but smoother. MacBook Pro/Audirvana USB >DI-20 90/98M/GPSDO Clock HDMI > Micromega M100

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,594 of 5,353
Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I just received my new DI20-HE. I am using it, in connexion with a Mutec Ref-10, to produce a I2S flow for my DAC. I wanted to know if there is any “better” firmware version to support the Ref-10 ? Is 3.933 better than the one which is shipped with the box ?
Thanks.

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #2,595 of 5,353
Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I just received my new DI20-HE. I am using it, in connexion with a Mutec Ref-10, to produce a I2S flow for my DAC. I wanted to know if there is any “better” firmware version to support the Ref-10 ? Is 3.933 better than the one which is shipped with the box ?
Thanks.
Hi everyone, any advice on this one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back