Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #2,446 of 5,348
Is there a way to tell what firmware the DI ships with? Mine arrived yesterday. I asked for version 76 but it won’t play DSD so I am wondering if it’s version 3.993. I am running it via aes/ebu into Kii three active speakers

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,448 of 5,348
@macrog looks like it will only decode DSD over it's USB input

1604427167406.png

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #2,449 of 5,348
Nov 4, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,450 of 5,348
I think it is worth it. I doubt you will regret it. :wink:

Cable already arrived, not sure how they did it but FedeX dropped it off this morning...think someone hand carried it :wink:

First impression is good, cleaner, more definition, it's breaking in at the moment...

Nov 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #2,451 of 5,348
Cable already arrived, not sure how they did it but FedeX dropped it off this morning...think someone hand carried it :wink:

First impression is good, cleaner, more definition, it's breaking in at the moment...

further impressions are good, cable sounds tighter, cleaner, better definition/separation. Also received the wire and connectors to create my own HDMI cable, let's see...

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,453 of 5,348
Received my Nimak Black 0.6m usb cable.

Not burned-in, it's about at the same level as the ms-audio silver cable, a little less smooth but with more detail, and with a little tighter bass. So it's a very promising cable. Build quality is good, it is made by hand so it's not absolutely perfectly assembled, but still made with great care. Anyway, to really see how well made a cable is, you need to take it apart. So listening is the best thing that can be done realistically.

I picked it because i noticed it had a large bandwidth, and this seems to count much when used between the usbridge sig and the di20he. Same with the ms-audio. When used to transfer data, you can easilly see that some cables will allow faster i/o operations, as the ms-audio obviously did (granted the lower noise level that comes from superior shielding between data and power, the quick rise time, and impedance uniformity) . I would not unconditionally recommend the ms-audio as i did not like it with the previous ddcs i owned. Anyway, ms-audio/valab seems to have disappeared from ebay. Sad.

So far so good with the Nimak.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,454 of 5,348
It now has 10 hours of play time, which is far from enough, but still...

Now I am really shocked. I am shaking my head. Pitch-black background, which make the instument materialize and stand out, full of dynamics and timbre richness. All the subtle inflexions. It feels like a dac upgrade to some extent. Another cliche: a veil has been lifted. It goes deeper into the recording, extracts more from it, in a balanced and natural way. And bass is tuneful. And you should hear the bassdrum kick!

Totally unexpected. How can a usb cable make such a difference..? I guess one needs a silent and well timed usb transport to extract such benefits, i never could hear much difference between usb cable from a mac mini.

Nov 7, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #2,455 of 5,348
I'm also still gobsmacked by the difference in USB cables, of all connections it should be the least 'picky'. Of plenty of exotic wires my 'on the quick' USB cable made out of some CAT 8.1 network cable does best (bandwirdt up to 2Ghz).

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,456 of 5,348
I'm also still gobsmacked by the difference in USB cables, of all connections it should be the least 'picky'. Of plenty of exotic wires my 'on the quick' USB cable made out of some CAT 8.1 network cable does best (bandwirdt up to 2Ghz).
This is a very.good idea. Do you use 2 pairs for the vbus and 1 for data? The only issue i see the rj45 cables have an impedance of 100 vs 90ohm for usb.

Nov 7, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #2,457 of 5,348
How do you terminate USB cable? I mean - shield terminated to the ground on both sides? (2) Do you find benefits of blocking 5V pin at the source?

You see, there are more questions. :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,458 of 5,348
THe Metrum DAC needs the 5V pin, with my previous DAC I fooled it by connecting 5V form the DAC internally to the 5V USB pin.
I'm not too worried about shielding, but I connect the shield on one side (source), unshielded works well enough to not hear a difference.

CAT (whatever cat) has more twisted pairs than you need, I', using one shielded pair for Data + and Data - and use one separate wire for + 5V and - each wire shielded

Nov 7, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,459 of 5,348
THe Metrum DAC needs the 5V pin, with my previous DAC I fooled it by connecting 5V form the DAC internally to the 5V USB pin.
I'm not too worried about shielding, but I connect the shield on one side (source), unshielded works well enough to not hear a difference.
Thanks. When making my own shielded twisted pairs cable for RCA connection I do the same. That way cable becomes directional, terminated side should be plugged on the receiving side. Ground loops do not flow easily through the twisted pair, have to find a lower impedance path (mains cord).
CAT (whatever cat) has more twisted pairs than you need, I', using one shielded pair for Data + and Data - and use one separate wire for + 5V and - each wire shielded
When I do my own, I will follow similar approach to my RCA connection. One twisted pair for Data +/- and the other for +5V/ ground and a shield terminated only on one side (all pairs, including unused ones). It should work the best for receivers that do require 5V to operate. I expect, it would also remove benefit of isolating 5V pin on the A-GD DACs, it is why I asked a question. I don't like this solution, as detection of diconnected device is not working properly. If you try, please post feedback.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,460 of 5,348
@rsbrsvp

You are right about Nimak. They make outstanding usb cables. The Black series brings more clarity, better focus, better microdynamics, better bass, a more relax sound. Perfect balance, better imaging, layering and timbres. Better everything. It is splendid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back