Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,461 of 5,351
@rsbrsvp

You are right about Nimak. They make outstanding usb cables. The Black series brings more clarity, better focus, better microdynamics, better bass, a more relax sound. Perfect balance, better imaging, layering and timbres. Better everything. It is splendid.

Hi Fred
I was about to buy a USB cable as I need one about 0.5m long to test against my DH Labs. Can you post the link to where you bought the Nimak USB cable?

I believe it will exceed my budget, but who knows... if it's such a incredible cable...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,462 of 5,351
Hi Fred
I was about to buy a USB cable as I need one about 0.5m long to test against my DH Labs. Can you post the link to where you bought the Nimak USB cable?

I believe it will exceed my budget, but who knows... if it's such a incredible cable...
Now, with the burn-in, it has regressed. I have lost some bass. You may want to wait until i am done, should be another week or so.

This the link for 0.65m. The seller accepted 160USD, shipping not included. With shipping, it was 180.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nimak-Audio...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #2,464 of 5,351
make one, it's super simple. See if you can get screw fasten type USB connectors (I haven't found them yet so if you run across some let me know). I'm using plated solder on DIY USB connectors, find some decent cable and insulator, tinker around with different cables (go crazy) some twisting and shielding. I'm currently using a piece of CAT8.1 ethernet cable, good for up to 2 Ghz, works very well. Cable manufacturers do the same, don't think any of them produces wire...
Use Neotech UP-OCC copper or silver, or tinned copper (vintage wire galore), you'll easily spend the same 50-100 $ but you'll learn a lot and likely end up with a better cable/sound.

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,465 of 5,351
make one, it's super simple. See if you can get screw fasten type USB connectors (I haven't found them yet so if you run across some let me know). I'm using plated solder on DIY USB connectors, find some decent cable and insulator, tinker around with different cables (go crazy) some twisting and shielding. I'm currently using a piece of CAT8.1 ethernet cable, good for up to 2 Ghz, works very well. Cable manufacturers do the same, don't think any of them produces wire...
Use Neotech UP-OCC copper or silver, or tinned copper (vintage wire galore), you'll easily spend the same 50-100 $ but you'll learn a lot and likely end up with a better cable/sound.

Well, I don't know if I have the skills nor the nerve to do it! :beyersmile:

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,466 of 5,351
try it, low cost low risk (test the cable wiring with a MM or on a cheap 'sacrificial' device to avoid mixing up connections)

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,468 of 5,351
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,470 of 5,351
I am absolutely loving 3.933 Firmware. Gorgeously organic and emotionally connected. Blissful. I thought Firmware 76 was going to be the best so had my DI-HE shipped with it but it just didn't connect with me.

I am hugely impressed with the DI-HE. It is the nicest digital frontend I have ever heard :)

I think the Audio-gd DI-HE is the biggest bargain in high end audio.

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #2,472 of 5,351
The Nimak Black has recovered and is better than ever. Splendid cable. It is worth it.

Nimak purple is the best USB cable I ever heard and I have heard some of the very best.
The reference Nimak power cables are even better and have had a gigantic effect on my system.

I am absolutely loving 3.933 Firmware. Gorgeously organic and emotionally connected. Blissful. I thought Firmware 76 was going to be the best so had my DI-HE shipped with it but it just didn't connect with me.

I am hugely impressed with the DI-HE. It is the nicest digital frontend I have ever heard :)

AGREED!!!!! Every time I switch to 4.75 or 4.76 just for fun- I am immediately struck by how soft their presentation is relative to 3.933; just way to relaxed for me. I like high energy....= 3.933

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #2,473 of 5,351

You are right! I had no hesitation to buy two DI-HE.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #2,474 of 5,351
How do I know that?

To me, my system sounds like never before. Every little aspect of the sound is incredible and, eventhough I don't have a master clock, I have a lot of gear on my digital rig and all of it helped to improve the sound.
Do you use a usb reclocker or anything that makes usb better, as opposed to taking it directly from a maintream computer? If so, the usb cable is worth upgrading. And going for the Black is a very good idea.

This cable gave me at least half, if not more, of what going from the u16 to the di20he gave me. Pretty unbelievable.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #2,475 of 5,351

Going to it was a big upgrade. I though the u16 was very good but it sounds like a toy in comparison. I still recommend the u16 cause of the price/performance ratio. The He is almost 4 times the money, but still a great bargain given how superb it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back