Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,284 of 5,348

I've got it, thanks anyways.
The 3.93b2 is the most suitable for my system. By the way, I've received the audio gd power cable today, it's awesome, very open and neutral sounding would also say holographic compared to my pangea ac14 mk2 which is great by itself, a wet and organic sounding but a bit rolled off.

Now I need to change all my Pangeas for those.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,285 of 5,348
I've got it, thanks anyways.
The 3.93b2 is the most suitable for my system. By the way, I've received the audio gd power cable today, it's awesome, very open and neutral sounding would also say holographic compared to my pangea ac14 mk2 which is great by itself, a wet and organic sounding but a bit rolled off.

Are you connecting the power cable to the amp/dac/di20 or all?

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,287 of 5,348
Did the R7HE arrive? What DAC are you coming from? If you only have one BNC then run it into the DAC where I'm told it makes a bigger diff. I presume you can toggle internal/external clock on the R7's front panel just like we do with the DI20, so when you get the 2nd BNC you'll quickly be able to compare the 4 possible clock modes w/o turning anything off or pulling wires.
@Wynnytsky:Yes, the R7HE arrived and I got another BNC cable this past weekend. I've done some quick A-B comparisons of internal vs. external clock with FW 4.76. So far, i prefer the external clock, but it's close. Again, it's early and I need to be more listening, but there seems to be more presence and air with the external clock directly into the R7HE with that FW.

I have yet to see a di20 firmware trip on i2s, but I've only had that one listening session with 4.075. One thing I've learned though is do not turn off the DI20 while the DAC is on the i2s input -- it's not gonna damage anything but I'll get a high pitched squeal. Same thing happened with the Singxer SU1, so that's a DAC thing.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2,288 of 5,348
Good point, Daniel. The 1704 is warmer so i understand you would favor b1. Or 3.9. My favorite prior was 3.93. These new fws are indeed tweaked for the r7he. I like the 1704k dacs very much too. I guess you could try a silver ic if not what you have already. So you are a well aware audiophile, that's good.

It's all about music, and i enjoy my setup everyday. Anything that can push it further is considered, not much budget limit for me. But i try to be raisonnable. Just ordered a nimak silver usb cable on ebay,. I read the specs and thought the cable was properly designed. Under 200usd so no pain. The new fws like a silver usb cable.

Fred, I have purchased a couple of Nimak power cords and they are pretty amazing. I have looked at the silver USB cable but have not pulled the trigger. I would be interested in hearing your impressions once you get it.

Working from home, my setup is my daily companion and an essential part of my life. I thank Kingwa for making these highly musical and non fatiguing gears. They are vital to me. I have had the most productive year of my life working from home. Having Bill Evans, Chet Baker, and others in the room was a great inspiration.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2,291 of 5,348
*Has any one compared the DI-20 to a Matrix XSPDIF 2 and if so what were the differences in final sound based on input to dac?

*Second question, does anyone here use the DI-20 for Spdif to Spdif only and what do they think? Say for a streamer or CD transport.

I ask these questions because,
The Xspdif 2 made a great improvement to my computer based audio feeding my upgraded Yggdrassil via AES/EBU cable. (Even a tad bit better with the uptone LPS1.2)
Now just recently I bought a Bluesound Node 2i for a secondary system and was so impressed its ease of use and decent sound that I had to try it out on the main rig with the yggy upstairs.. Although it sounds damn good feading the yggy via coax its not quite "there" so to say compared to the computer based Xspdif2.

Is the DI-20 the missing piece of my puzzle to get that little streamer up to par?

Not saying I'll never use computer based audio again its just I'm really enjoying the ease and convenience of a streamer. I refuse to dish out big $$$ for one..

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,292 of 5,348
I am still swapping usb cables between the di20he and the usbridge. I inserted an ebay cable recently and it solved an issue with transmission that had been occuring for a while ( the digital signal would be shifted, which resulted in heavy digital noise). But it made the sound a little bright. So i decided to take the valab silver usb cable i had out of my cable closet (i really do have a cable closet! ).

The valad is smoother. Too soon to say if it will stay in. I always found it too sound strange. I a have a Nimak usb cable on order, so the valab should be taken out pretty soon.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #2,294 of 5,348
(JRiver tips)

flat line overflows has more body
only use clip protection when doing up-eq (ex: Dirac VST plugin) on a poor recording with little headroom
1603422585645.png

not recommended by JRiver, and nor me until this evening
who knows what I upgraded for it to now have an appeal
it definitely removes a color that was probably there to mitigate fatigue
recordings just got more unique and interesting -- time will tell how long I can listen w/o dithering.
1603422923346.png

MSB Analog DAC visiting next week -- I hope it's only a good photo for this thread, and nothing more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back