Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,266 of 5,351
Is not i2s technically supposed to be the lowest jitter transfer from a computer?

I wonder why Kingwa did not offer the ethernet i2s option and how it differs from HDMI?
Yes, it does. I2S was designed to standarize audio transfer methods on very short distances between system components (chip-to-chip). It has a separate line running clock, so quality of the source clock determine the lowest possible jitter. Strange things happened that now I2S is also used to transfer digital audio between external devices. There are challenges on a longer connection, developers try different connectors/cables, there is no standard. It is why there are different sockets and even different (incompatible) wiring methods. Audio GD website highlight differences.

One things is important to mention. Ethernet i2S is not Ethernet, it just use the same RJ45 socket and HDMI I2S connection is not HDMI, it is just HDMI socket.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,268 of 5,351
how do you envision optical HDMI using I2s, you'd need to convert the LVDS I2S that travels through HDMI into optical and back at the other end?

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,269 of 5,351
Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #2,270 of 5,351
aha, so an HDMI cable with built in optocouplers. I expect it won't work for I2S as the data/pinout in I2S is different from I2S, as previously stated; I2S over HDMI is not the same as HDMI, same with I2S over RJ45.

thanks for liking my approach to head phones :wink:

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2,271 of 5,351
Hi,

I am the owner of an Audio-gd DI20-HE. I was using it directly connected to my PC (USB) running Roon and then to the DAC, without any kind of issues.

I recently bought a Simply Best streamer with a Raspberry pi4 in it, successfully installed Ropieee, opened Roon, managed to select it as an audio device and then hit Play. Now... no music is coming out of the speakers. Tried different Ropieee configurations with the same results. Tried with volumio, same result....

Has anybody been through this before? Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,273 of 5,351
Hi,

I am the owner of an Audio-gd DI20-HE. I was using it directly connected to my PC (USB) running Roon and then to the DAC, without any kind of issues.

I recently bought a Simply Best streamer with a Raspberry pi4 in it, successfully installed Ropieee, opened Roon, managed to select it as an audio device and then hit Play. Now... no music is coming out of the speakers. Tried different Ropieee configurations with the same results. Tried with volumio, same result....

Cheers
In volumio, you need to select combo384 as Audio output device in the playback menu. And save it with the button below.
If you are connecting RPi to Di20, with Moode, under Audio, I2S should be set to none

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,274 of 5,351
V3.93b2 stopped working for me, other firmwares do work.
What could be the problem? My updating routine is Quartus --> Auto Detect --> First option --> Change file --> firmware file.

Good thing about v3.93b2 not working is that I have some time to test the original v3.93b1.. it seems that the b1 is a more neutral version of the b2 on which is more saturated.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #2,275 of 5,351
Hi,

Cheers
I don't know which usb port you connect too. There are two types. The blue ones are usb3, try a usb 2. As someone said earlier, in volumio's backback menu, the i2s dac box should NOT be checked.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #2,276 of 5,351
I don't know which usb port you connect too. There are two types. The blue ones are usb3, try a usb 2. As someone said earlier, in volumio's backback menu, the i2s dac box should NOT be checked.
Thank you for the answers. I have checked with all four usb ports, with different Ropieee configurations, different Roon configurations, Volumio configurations, but haven't hit the right one yet....

Oct 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,277 of 5,351
Thank you for the answers. I have checked with all four usb ports, with different Ropieee configurations, different Roon configurations, Volumio configurations, but haven't hit the right one yet....
In volumio, try putting a stick with music on the SimpleBest and to play it. You should get error message if the usb audio device is not found.

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #2,278 of 5,351
Hi All,

whatever I have said about firmware misbehaving, forget it, I take everything back. Aries seems to be faulty and outputting a f... load of hf noise via usb/spdif/aes, which results in fake soundstage and details and kinda muddy sound, depending on all kind of settings and cables used.

I am using a Samsung Ultrabook or something like that, with Fidelizer, Jplay and Roon and not upsampling anything (sounds too smoothed over anyways). Bingo :)
Latest 3 firmwares are working like a charm. Currently v4.076 is doing its magic. v4.075 is great as well, only v3.933 is a bit too much for me. And in none of these cases it sounds muddy oder smoothed over or whatever. Much more realstic imaging/soundstage and ambient cues.
And overall very detailed and non-fatigueing analog feel. The most impressive to me is, ZERO beautifying gadgets used anywhere.

I am wondering when the Aries started making problems... probably already in Austria... I was struggling alot to make things sound great, which, at the end it did and I know that AudioGD stuff is capable to extract emotions and are able to trigger them inside me, from joy to sad to freightend... you name it...

There is one test I am still going to do in the coming days. Using the Artistic Fidelity ARFI USB between Aries and DI20HE, with SPDIF into the latter. That will result in perfect galvanic isolation because the ARFI is converting USB to optical, doing some reclocking and what not and then outputting it to either AES or SPDIF.

btw... headphones and speakers are working well, specially the former, even with v4.076.

cheers,
happy Daniel

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #2,279 of 5,351
The only thing I can think of is to check if I2S DAC is in the off position under the same menu where you select combo384

Users who are viewing this thread

Back