Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,146 of 5,348
Knowing Kingwa and the fact he monitors this thread, i would assume 4.07b3 is v4.075 with bug fixes and 4.07b4 is v4.076 also with bug fixes, but i could be wrong. I would not expect any change with the sound. These would be the new shipping versions. One smooth, one accurate. Great job, Kingwa, my friend! These fws have reached a very good level of sound quality with the ext. clock and also are bug-free or close.

At least one of them will be based off of 4.07b1, as both of us agreed it was the more correct sounding firmware with our almost identical setup. He would keep one firmware accurate based on b1 and one firmware smooth based on either b3 or b4. I can't wait to try them out tonight, I just wish he labelled them.

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #2,147 of 5,348
Hi folks, I am wondering about getting a DI20 ever since I needed to get a DDC because I killed the USB input on my Metrum Amethyst...been reading this monster thread, but only got to page 75 or so yet...

My current setup is a headless NUC(fed by LPS) with SSD running Daphile (Linux based), PCIe JCat USB card on a M2 riser with an Akiko LPS feeding a Singxer SU1 (Magnafied version) to the Metrum via SPDIF. (this setup sounds better (a lot) than the standard Metrum USB input. Adding that I only need NOS, no DSD etc

I am wondering if anyone can say something worthwhile about the following options:

-Get a DI20 and external clock (on LPS) feeding the Metrum through I2S IF that is possible at all (Metrum uses RJ45 for I2S, AudioGd uses LVDS), if so I'm thinking that using an LPS and external clock on LPS could well mean I can make do with the bare bones DI20 (not HE), total spent: 600 plus an LPS for DI20 (not sure what voltage it needs, may have an LPS/Isolation transformer for it already), the external clock (350?euro) and an LPS for the external clock; total:1800??euro
-Get a Pink Faun I2S PCIe bridge (they make custom versions to accomodate Metrum I2S) fed by the Akiko LPS straight into the Metrum via I2S, getting clock upgrades for the Pink Faun...likely the best (meaning 1550euro)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #2,148 of 5,348
Hi folks, I am wondering about getting a DI20 ever since I needed to get a DDC because I killed the USB input on my Metrum Amethyst...been reading this monster thread, but only got to page 75 or so yet...

My current setup is a headless NUC(fed by LPS) with SSD running Daphile (Linux based), PCIe JCat USB card on a M2 riser with an Akiko LPS feeding a Singxer SU1 (Magnafied version) to the Metrum via SPDIF. (this setup sounds better (a lot) than the standard Metrum USB input. Adding that I only need NOS, no DSD etc

I am wondering if anyone can say something worthwhile about the following options:

-Get a DI20 and external clock (on LPS) feeding the Metrum through I2S IF that is possible at all (Metrum uses RJ45 for I2S, AudioGd uses LVDS), if so I'm thinking that using an LPS and external clock on LPS could well mean I can make do with the bare bones DI20 (not HE), total spent: 600 plus an LPS for DI20 (not sure what voltage it needs, may have an LPS/Isolation transformer for it already), the external clock (350?euro) and an LPS for the external clock; total:1800??euro
-Get a Pink Faun I2S PCIe bridge (they make custom versions to accomodate Metrum I2S) fed by the Akiko LPS straight into the Metrum via I2S, getting clock upgrades for the Pink Faun...likely the best (meaning 1550euro)
The di20 has an excellent lps built-in and no dc input anyway. A technician would perhaps be able to convert your rj45 input to hdmi, audio-gd sells a kit. Otherwise the spdif outputs are excellent on the di20. The budget external clock to get is a Morion mv89a from this seller:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/queen*s_land?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

It will cost you less than 400 usd including a very decent lps.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #2,149 of 5,348
At least one of them will be based off of 4.07b1, as both of us agreed it was the more correct sounding firmware with our almost identical setup. He would keep one firmware accurate based on b1 and one firmware smooth based on either b3 or b4. I can't wait to try them out tonight, I just wish he labelled them.
Maybe Kingwa has used the timing of b1 for the internal and with the external, it's that of b3 and b4. This would be the best poosible thing to do. If possible.

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #2,150 of 5,348
The di20 has an excellent lps built-in and no dc input anyway. A technician would perhaps be able to convert your rj45 input to hdmi, audio-gd sells a kit. Otherwise the spdif outputs are excellent on the di20. The budget external clock to get is a Morion mv89a from this seller:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/queen*s_land?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

It will cost you less than 400 usd including a very decent lps.
I'm afraid that converting to HDMI I2S needs some more tinkering than a generic add on board, I have spoken with the Metrum developer about the differences.

Not sure I get what you mean, the Di20 is 600 the Di20HE is 1100, if the Morion clock with an LPS is 400 the total is around 1000 to 1500 or am I missing something?

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #2,151 of 5,348
I
I'm afraid that converting to HDMI I2S needs some more tinkering than a generic add on board, I have spoken with the Metrum developer about the differences.

Not sure I get what you mean, the Di20 is 600 the Di20HE is 1100, if the Morion clock with an LPS is 400 the total is around 1000 to 1500 or am I missing something?

I meant just the clock and lps. The di20 is around 600 indeed. So the total is 1000 with the regular di20.

If you have a usb board working on 3.3v inside your dac, it can normally be replaced by the hdmi module. Some drilling will be likely be needed and the proper i2s wires matching.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #2,154 of 5,348
I wrote to Kingwa to ask about them. From the description, these are the betas with bug fixes. Which betas is the question.

I started with DP-20_V4.076.jic and that's very much AGD's house sound. Lot's a decay at the expense of depth. Not ideal for my largely untreated room.

I just put in DP-20_V4.075.jic and this bears more of the qualities I heard in B4, and this time the performers are not as boxed in -- Qingwa gave them more leg room.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #2,157 of 5,348
Tried for first time after being on b1 since quite few months. 075 certainly resembles b1 to me and imaging even is more solid than b1. Mids are certainly better in 075. Now i realise how much thinner b1 was. 076 seems smoother to me analogish kind.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #2,158 of 5,348
Wow 075 seem to throw music all around the room, soundstage is very different from what i heard ever. Hmm maybe thats why it could be 'unnatural'. Bass is better mids are better and treble is right there. I think it could be best version yet from kingwa.

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,159 of 5,348
Kingwa told me that 76 is based on the b1 and he's right. Parallel/internal sounds identical between the two firmwares. I believe the main difference in sound is for those with an external clock.

Yep confirmed. 75 reminds me more of the smoother b3 with internal clock. Flashed back to 76 now, don't think anything can top this yet when it comes to correctness.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #2,160 of 5,348
to me- 75 and 76 are both fantastic. IMHO 75 is more musical (perhaps the most musical and smooth version yet) with a bit bigger of a soundstage and 76 has more detail but still very very musical. 76 and 75 with external clock does not sound to my ears anything like b1-- much more meaty. I need to experiment more. Initial impression leaning towards 76 but this could change easily. 75 is so musical I would say it almost is like it has a soul.

I like both..........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back