Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,131 of 5,351
Well, I haven't tried b4, but b3 is SO good for me, on parallel mode and I2S to My R8 DAC.

First, after installing b3, coming from b1, both on serial mode, I wasn't much impressed. I found both very similar, but then I tried parallel on b3 and WOW... I love it!

My music never sounded so 3D. I don't feel the soundstage is deeper or wider, just much better defined. I don't know how to descrive it exactly, it's much more real, less digital, better tone and the sound is more rounded on edges. More tridimensional, but not wider or deeper, more analog.

I find 3b incredible! Thank you Kingwa!!!!

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #2,132 of 5,351
I like both. B3 grabs your attention, is easier on ears, b4 is a little less musical but clearer, more auccurate. It’s a matter of tastes and mood. I would be happy with either. I don’t find anything artficial with soundstaging. Bass is not as defined with b3 but is still well resolved. All with i2s/external/parallel.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,133 of 5,351
I like both. B3 grabs your attention, is easier on ears, b4 is a little less musical but clearer, more auccurate. It’s a matter of tastes and mood. I would be happy with either. I don’t find anything artficial with soundstaging. Bass is not as defined with b3 but is still well resolved. All with i2s/external/parallel.

yup B3 is easier on the ears and more musical. It makes me appreciate the back drop, stage, tone, the sum of the parts
B4 has stronger delineation and dynamics, making it less homogenous, more critical of music+chain, and less forgiving

B3 allows my attention to drift and B4 holds it

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,136 of 5,351
Perhaps, classical, jazz, new age and these type of genres may fit the more expansive and more relaxed nature of b3???

You know there's room for more transparency (speed, freq-resp, phase, etc) when the chain can only swing certain genres.
But transparency is double edged because it brings more attention to both the strengths and weaknesses.

Perhaps we shouldn't rush to find a middle ground between these firmwares. Let them evolve at their own pace and eventually they'll converge, as do high end tube and solid state electronics when you get to 5 figure pricing.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #2,137 of 5,351
I got into audio-gd equipment because I wanted to change from the classic ultra smooth, ultra saturated sound I was used to to the highest fidelity possible.

I want to hear everything on that recording; the good and the bad with full unrestricted dynamic punch. Well- I got it thanks to Kingwa's genius and advice from many of you at head-fi.

For maximum uncompromised fidelity b4 delivers- and with a lovely analogue tone as well. I am not willing to give up on any portion of this immense pleasure for more soundstage; it would be to me like handicapping my Ferrari's full acceleration boost to make it smoother.

I am however looking forward to the evolution of these FW's and I certainly respect everyone's viewpoint on b3. It is to me #2 in the FW list.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #2,138 of 5,351
I got into audio-gd equipment because I wanted to change from the classic ultra smooth, ultra saturated sound I was used to to the highest fidelity possible.

I want to hear everything on that recording; the good and the bad with full unrestricted dynamic punch. Well- I got it thanks to Kingwa's genius and advice from many of you at head-fi.

For maximum uncompromised fidelity b4 delivers- and with a lovely analogue tone as well. I am not willing to give up on any portion of this immense pleasure for more soundstage; it would be to me like handicapping my Ferrari's full acceleration boost to make it smoother.

I am however looking forward to the evolution of these FW's and I certainly respect everyone's viewpoint on b3. t is to me #2 in the FW list.
This is interesting because I actually got into my DI-20 because of a totally different experience: The way it made my audio setup sound real/natural :relaxed: - it gave a sense of realism to my setup that I had NEVER heard before at home and at the same time, it was not at the expense of prat, punch, rhythm or other parameters. Other converters gave compromises to various sound characteristics - but the DI-20 stepped up everything and has provided so much more to my digital frontend :relaxed:

But very cool that we can extract different qualities from the same product(s)!!

Will enjoy experimenting with different FW - currently, I'm on 3.9 as this to me provides the best sound qualities in aspects of real/natural balance in my setup. But have not tried the latest version - will do that when my OCXO clock arrives, hopefully soon :relaxed:

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #2,140 of 5,351
Damn it my di20he just stopped playing files, when I hit play it just doesn't start the file on foobar, wasapi, amanero.

I tried the following:

1. restart pc
2. disconnect and reconnect usb to another port
3. reboot di20he 2x
4. clean uninstall and reinstall of amanero 1.0.62 drivers
5. switch from usb to coax and back on di20he

Note if I bypass DI20HE and play directly from denafrips terminator dac the music plays without any problems.

Oct 14, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,141 of 5,351
Ok what the hell it just randomly started working.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,142 of 5,351
@smodtactical in windows I like to disable my adapter entirely (ie: USB interface) so there's no chance my playback software and windows will fight over an exclusive lock. Being disabled in windows doesn't block the ASIO driver. Of course you'll need to turn it back on whenever you want to listen to a non-ASIO client (ex: chrome).

Oct 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #2,144 of 5,351
Audio-gd website has the "finalized" FWs!!
Not much description on which ones they represent. Who can decipher?
Knowing Kingwa and the fact he monitors this thread, i would assume 4.07b3 is v4.075 with bug fixes and 4.07b4 is v4.076 also with bug fixes, but i could be wrong. I would not expect any change with the sound. These would be the new shipping versions. One smooth, one accurate. Great job, Kingwa, my friend! These fws have reached a very good level of sound quality with the ext. clock and also are bug-free or close.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back