Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 7, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,011 of 5,351
Yes, I know for sure, but yo try the RUR was the only way possible. The RUR Will get better with a LPS, so now I will buy a Y DC cable to split one output of my Swagman LPS that has some capacity left over.

I do not recommend* using one output to two different devices. A power supply with two separate rails is okay, but not to let two different units share the same rail and ground.

*I'm sorry if I may sound critical, that's not my wishes. I just like to share some friendly advises.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,014 of 5,351
The best thing would be to ask Kingwa himself and let us know.
I have been chomping at the bit to ask the same question, figuring that FredA and a few others here have garnished some inside scoops from Kingwa in the past. Although the latest firmware is doing a good job, my external clock does NOT sound as good as the internal...and yes, I believe this was somewhat the intentions of this firmware update. So, add me to the list of folks who are eagerly awaiting the update that will let the external clock sound as it should: a substantial sonic upgrade...

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #2,017 of 5,351
uptone ether regen really cleans up treble like your listening to a good CD transport (though I imagine I stand more to gain because of my 100ft ethernet run). It solves issues upstream before they get to your computer, so no collateral damage to speak of. I'm giving it 9v from HDPlex and a 50ohm square wave. I'm foresee this being a set-and-forget purchase.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,018 of 5,351
Where does anyone get the idea that Kingwa is even planning to improve the external clock aspect of the firmware beyond where it is already?

He already did that in a previous firmware upgrade where it specifically mentions on the update that it was optimized for the Mutec clock.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,020 of 5,351
Interesting.

I am pretty much resigned at this point to the external clock being more of a lateral move than a clear upgrade. Kind of like NOS vs 8X on the R-7HE; can't say which is clearly better just that both are great and they are slightly different.
Technically- my external clock is still definitely bringing out more detail than the internal clock but the internal clock seems more natural and more transparent. I'm not willing to keep my external clock for the equal but different option because it is just not worth it to me. I guess I will give it around six more months to see if any firmware upgrades bring the external clock ahead of instead of equal but different to the internal clock.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,023 of 5,351
Well i would say he can make the external even better. Slightly. Better low bass and imaging.and slightly better res. I am not sure 3.98 with external is better than 4.07b with internal. But it certainly has better low bass and imaging without giving up smoothness.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,025 of 5,351
This is a very interesting topic that I think is worth exploring further both in theory and in practice.

The question is what would make an external clock sound better than the very nice internal clocks in the DI20 in theory? I can imagine that it depends on the following four aspects:

1. Better clock oscillator (than the DI20)

2. Better PSU (than the DI20HE)

3. Less vibrations (than the DI20)

4. Better chassis shield (than the DI20)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back