Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,996 of 5,351
Someone said KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the way to go, but not on digital in my experience.

I started with wi-fi streaming from my Notebook and then USB cable to my DAC.
Now there's five different digital devices before my DAC, none of them with wi-fi and/or a PC, and every one of them gave it's share of sound improvement. My system never sounded better and I've heard systems costing +100k that sounded much worse.

Todays digital rig:
Ubiquity Router
Uptone ER
SOtM SMS Ultra Neo SE
W4S USB Reclocker
DI-20
R8 DAC

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,997 of 5,351
A function of the external clock is to make sure that input data clock runs at exactly the same frequency as the internal clock in the DAC
Ah, so the internal TXCO/OXCO is still involved even when using external clock? If so do you think a DI20 + OXCO upgrade would outperform a DI20 + stock TXCO when using external clocks only?

@PLGA
What LPS/s do you use, and what do they power? I liked the W4S USB reclocker with the Keces P8 - really lights up the music when powering that or the computer. That W4S was the least destructive, most transparent reclocker I've used - the extra USB cable it necessitates probably had a bigger signature than my w4s itself. The passive Intona had an even lighter touch, but I think that's just galvanic isolation and it doesn't reclock. Stuff from iFi had the biggest footprint and the uptone regen was somewhere in the middle [in terms of losing detail and adding color].

My 50ohm Uptone ER arrives Tuesday.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #1,998 of 5,351
Ah, so the internal TXCO/OXCO is still involved even when using external clock? If so do you think a DI20 + OXCO upgrade would outperform a DI20 + stock TXCO when using external clocks only?

@PLGA
What LPS/s do you use, and what do they power? I liked the W4S USB reclocker with the Keces P8 - really lights up the music when powering that or the computer. That W4S was the least destructive, most transparent reclocker I've used - the extra USB cable it necessitates probably had a bigger signature than my w4s itself. The passive Intona had an even lighter touch, but I think that's just galvanic isolation and it doesn't reclock. Stuff from iFi had the biggest footprint and the uptone regen was somewhere in the middle [in terms of losing detail and adding color].

My 50ohm Uptone ER arrives Tuesday.

To be honest, I tried yesterday the W4S USB Reclocker RUR with the provided walwart as all of my LPS are on use and I didn't have any one left.

The USB cable I used originally between the SOtM SMS Ultra Neo SE and DI-20 was a 0.4m Evolved Curious USB cable and now is between the SOtM SMS-200 and the RUR. As I didn't have another "audiophile" cable around, I used a 0.5m chinese USB cable I had on stock to connect the RUR with the DI-20.

So, even with these not optimal walwart and USB cable, the RUR improve things considerable.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,999 of 5,351
Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with DI-20 nor an external clock setup and have yet to add a decent USB galvanic separator on my system, I know it is needed.

From the technical point of view I would rather focus on upgrading clock on your dac. A step up can bring a regenerative power supply. Upgrading clock on the DI-20 makes only sense when a DAC do not have external clock input, but I can be wrong. Why not Email Kingwa and ask this question? His response is always honest, not pushing sales like others do.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #2,000 of 5,351
Sep 6, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,001 of 5,351
To be honest, I tried yesterday the W4S USB Reclocker RUR with the provided walwart as all of my LPS are on use and I didn't have any one left.

The USB cable I used originally between the SOtM SMS Ultra Neo SE and DI-20 was a 0.4m Evolved Curious USB cable and now is between the SOtM SMS-200 and the RUR. As I didn't have another "audiophile" cable around, I used a 0.5m chinese USB cable I had on stock to connect the RUR with the DI-20.

So, even with these not optimal walwart and USB cable, the RUR improve things considerable.

To be frank, cheap switching walwarts is not to be used in a good audio system. They do more harm than good IMO.

Sep 7, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #2,005 of 5,351
Just using my laptop. The combo with the USBCB does relax the sound, good for harsh systems I guess. The Ifi Ipower making things sound brighter but still a relaxed PRaT. Using the usb dongle instead of the USBCB makes things brighter and a bit more energetic but connecting my pangea 0.5m straight to the DI20 has better PRaT and energy. Using different device between the DI20 and my laptop removes the wow factor for me.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,006 of 5,351
Using different device between the DI20 and my laptop removes the wow factor for me
good way to put it. I would think a win10 laptop is the least blessed source for hifi, and yours still can't be bettered by a gadget. Maybe it's a horsepower thing? What's your core count - is hyper-threading enabled? Have you ever been tempted to power the laptop with a 19v LPS (ex: HDPlex, Keces P8)? On my computer the HDPlex really takes the edge off, and I'm sitting several rows back with the lights down low. The P8 is more expressive in the highs, bringing me several rows forward and leaving nothing in the shadows. My friend prefers the HDPlex and I prefer the P8.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #2,007 of 5,351
My laptop is nothing special and would probably benefit from the offerings you've mentioned. The thing I love about audio gd's amanero, is once you block the 5v pin on the usb, it's internally powered by the DI20 and it's ultra clean.
Kingwa mentioned " The DI-20 had built in ultra speed isolation, for work most stable, don't connect external USB isolation , just let the USB connect to computer directly. "

For me, once the PRaT goes slightly relaxed it's over for me even if the gadget / device improved the tone, it's a matter of taste.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #2,009 of 5,351
@ProLoL is your avatar image a TVC preamp that you own? What is it?

Hehe ye, that one is mine, using AM audio transformers.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back