Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 1, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,786 of 5,348
Hey guys I've been mucking around all night trying to understand the process to update DI-20 firmware. I've gotten this USB blaster, Windows 10 and downloaded/installed Quartus 16, which was confusing as heck because 12.1 the manual refers to is no longer available and Quartas is apparently the same as Altera, but has changed hands to Intel FPGA software, then opened up 3-4 separate applications on my screen after install.

Following these instructions, I've connected the USB blaster to the DI-20 update port and to the PC which auto. installed the driver. Then for step 3 on Audio-GD instructions I powered on the DI-20 but "Perform automatic web license retrieval" was not there because I'm using newer version 16, 12 being obsolete, so instead clicked a button in the control panel to activate a trial.

Here's where I'm stuck: Under step 5 for the hardware setup I'm not seeing any USB Blaster on the dropdown menu. Also on the USB list on my device manager I'm only seeing "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", in fact 2 duplicate entries saying this. I've tried the steps mentioned by user @DACLadder to manually load the Blaster USB drivers, but every time I get the message that the best driver is already installed. Removing/reinstalling the USB driver just brings up the same set of 2 "Unknown" devices on my device manager. I thought to install the newest Quartas version 20.2 standard version (it took me to 20.1 instead), which made me register on their website with loads of personal information and download a 2.1GB file. I'll try this newer version next, if it's even the way to go in my case??

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #1,787 of 5,348
Hey guys I've been mucking around all night trying to understand the process to update DI-20 firmware. I've gotten this USB blaster, Windows 10 and downloaded/installed Quartus 16, which was confusing as heck because 12.1 the manual refers to is no longer available and Quartas is apparently the same as Altera, but has changed hands to Intel FPGA software, then opened up 3-4 separate applications on my screen after install.

Following these instructions, I've connected the USB blaster to the DI-20 update port and to the PC which auto. installed the driver. Then for step 3 on Audio-GD instructions I powered on the DI-20 but "Perform automatic web license retrieval" was not there because I'm using newer version 16, 12 being obsolete, so instead clicked a button in the control panel to activate a trial.

Here's where I'm stuck: Under step 5 for the hardware setup I'm not seeing any USB Blaster on the dropdown menu. Also on the USB list on my device manager I'm only seeing "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", in fact 2 duplicate entries saying this. I've tried the steps mentioned by user @DACLadder to manually load the Blaster USB drivers, but every time I get the message that the best driver is already installed. Removing/reinstalling the USB driver just brings up the same set of 2 "Unknown" devices on my device manager. I thought to install the newest Quartas version 20.2 standard version (it took me to 20.1 instead), which made me register on their website with loads of personal information and download a 2.1GB file. I'll try this newer version next, if it's even the way to go in my case??
In the device manager, the device should be stated as "Altera USB-blaster", at least with version 12.1. If not, uninstall the driver and then install it manually, getting it from the altera installation folder.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,788 of 5,348
@DecentLevi If the Quartus is asking you to apply a license then you downloaded the full design suite. The standalone programming tool does not require a license.

To uninstall and manually load the USB Blaster driver in 'Device Manager' right-click the "Altera USB Blaster" and select "Uninstall Device". A new window will open as shown below. Select "Delete the driver software for this device". In the same way delete all USB Blaster entries in Dev. Manager. Reboot. Follow alternate instructions to manually load 16.0 drivers.

If you are using 20.2 software the path to the drivers is located here (default 20.2 installation location): C:\IntelFPGApro\20.2\qprogrammer

UninstallBlasterDrivers.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,789 of 5,348
I tried these on a win10prox64-2004 that never had 12.1 installed ...
Quartus64ProgrammerSetup-16.0.0.211-windows.exe
QuartusProgrammerSetup-20.1.0.711-windows.exe
... and I couldn't get Quartus to see my blaster (though I didn't have the blaster plugged in at the other end)

Denafrips made this process so simple -- I'm jealous
https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update

Perhaps it would help to disable driver sig enforcement like Denafrips is doing?
Or maybe just find the most recent version of Quartus before Intel touched it.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #1,790 of 5,348
It's normal to loose the signal for about 3-4s. If the music does not resume afterwards, it's not normal. You can give 3.99 a try, there were bug fixes done. I am on 4.07b now with no such issue. 4.07b is a beta that should be finalized within the next weeks.
Thanks, as always Fed, for your reply. Yes I am aware there is a 3-4s drop when changing between the two modes, but P mode never re-connects. I have been hesitant in upgrading firmware, as I really like how my external clock sounds with V3.93. I have been waiting for Kingwa to come up with a firmware that brings the same or better performance to external clock as 4.07b did for the internal.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,793 of 5,348
Thanks, as always Fed, for your reply. Yes I am aware there is a 3-4s drop when changing between the two modes, but P mode never re-connects. I have been hesitant in upgrading firmware, as I really like how my external clock sounds with V3.93. I have been waiting for Kingwa to come up with a firmware that brings the same or better performance to external clock as 4.07b did for the internal.
This will come. Be patient.

Aug 1, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,795 of 5,348
i encountered a bug on 4.07b two nights ago... I was testing AES from DI-20HE to my R7HE on a whim as I hadnt used that output for a while. Roon was playing a 24/192khz PCM file, which was totally fine with the internal clocks, but there was a bad high pitched squeal with the morion 10mhz clock. Only happened on that max sample rate with AES and the ext clocks, everything else under 24/192khz played fine.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,798 of 5,348
i encountered a bug on 4.07b two nights ago... I was testing AES from DI-20HE to my R7HE on a whim as I hadnt used that output for a while. Roon was playing a 24/192khz PCM file, which was totally fine with the internal clocks, but there was a bad high pitched squeal with the morion 10mhz clock. Only happened on that max sample rate with AES and the ext clocks, everything else under 24/192khz played fine.

I got the low level high pitched squeal today after loading 3.93 f/w. I just switched the DI’s input from USB to SPDIF input. Nothing is connected DI’s SPDIF input. Switched back and forth a few times and it stopped. I get the same squeal sometimes when switching R7 inputs. Always on an input with nothing connected. Seems to come and go when selecting inputs. I put it on my bug list.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #1,800 of 5,348
Kingwa has not optimized the timing yet of the ext. clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back