Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 25, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #1,756 of 5,351
Synergy certainly is key.
As a hobby goes, we always look for effective way to improve the sound. I just speculate the likely area of improvement. Until it is compared to a common reference point, we may not know. Or maybe someone can post the question to Kingwa and see what he says.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #1,757 of 5,351
Any comparisons to the entry level Denafrips Iris?
Price wise, it is very close to the DI-20 (non-HE)...

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #1,759 of 5,351
The difference between the DI20 and the DI20HE is that the HE is quieter but sound is similar, right?
The HE adds "Regenerative Power Supply", which is basically a better AC handling (to reduce noise from noisy or so-so power source).
Since I use a Power Regenerator - I will probably opt for the $400+ cheaper non-HE version. That, or the Denafrips Iris...

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #1,760 of 5,351
The HE adds "Regenerative Power Supply", which is basically a better AC handling (to reduce noise from noisy or so-so power source).
Since I use a Power Regenerator - I will probably opt for the $400+ cheaper non-HE version. That, or the Denafrips Iris...

Thanks, yea I know that just wondered if it has the same sound besides the silent levels.

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,761 of 5,351
Thanks, yea I know that just wondered if it has the same sound besides the silent levels.
Kingwa confirmed in an e-mail to me that the Regenerative Power Supply of the HE version is the only difference (compared to the 90/98M version of the non-HE).

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,763 of 5,351
@nazhmd How much is the upgraded Matrix 2?

I have 8 DDCs and the DI-20HE is the best sounding. Have not heard the Matrix 2 and Singxer SU-2. But betters the SU-6 and Gustard U16.

The DI-20 has nice features like S/PDIF input and 10M capability. Only the SU-2 and U16 are 10M capable. Interesting the Matrix 2, SU-2, U16, and DI-20+ all use Accusilicon XOs.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #1,764 of 5,351
It start with the stock Matrix 2 unit, then they start adding other expensive accessories such as an HDPLEX 300 LPSU or UPTONE LPS 1.2 or SBooster LPS, Revelation Audio Lab HDMI cable, WireWorld Platinum S7 HDMI cable, WireWorld PS USB cable. Almost forgot SR Blue fuses for LPSU and power cords of choice. Basically you need a deep pocket to enjoy the Matrix 2.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,765 of 5,351
Yesterday, after @DACLadder mentioning how he liked the serial mode (other users also did), i have decided to give it a try. It is smoother than parallel, with the same resolution if not better, and a flatter balance. I really dig it.

Still using the SimpleBest psu. I think they took the right approach designing this mini computer psu. You need a fast psu to react to the discontinuous power demand a computer to avoid perturbating power delivery where it matters. So you get what i assume to be fast transitors, an oversized transformer. This makes for very clean dc. For a more steady circuit, like an OCXO,.tweaking the filtering would pay off. In this specific case, the SimpleBest seems to be optimal. My system sounds great with it. Looking forward to Kingwa's fine-tuning of the timing for the external lock.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #1,766 of 5,351
@nazhmd my friend settled on that xspdif2 after many others. It's very dynamic and the treble really pops, so he tamed it with a keces LPS + synergistic research power cord, exotic USB cables, ifi in the middle, and there was some talk of a fuse (maybe SR). He only stopped using it cause his amber3 doesn't have i2s and it's coax input couldn't compete with it's USB input.

I'm ashamed to say I really like using a 200watt Keces to supply 0.9watt to a w4s recovery
1595937740899.png

Matrix has a $250 USB card that let's you turn off the power pin? I could get into that. But no time soon as AMD broke the DIY collective heart when they announced ryzen3 APUs would only be supplied to the OEM market. That's actually smart because a few bad combinations of ram, mobo, bios setting, etc and you'll have ruthless 1star reviews destroying the product online. Best they sort that out before releasing to us animals.
1595938070529.png

My biggest upgrade as of late was replacing the thing that set my lawn on fire. I highly recommend a transformer fire.
1595938604340.png

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #1,768 of 5,351
Just want to get a consensus re: DI-20HE comparison with the Matrix 2 vs singxer SU2 vs SU6. PSAudio forum thinks that the Matrix 2 with all the extras ( upgraded USB, HDMI, Linear PS) is best thing since slice bread.
I tried out a matrix 2 with an lps before buying my non-HE DI-20 (90/98). In my system, the matrix seemed quite dull and flat. My gustard u12 actually sounded better, more lively and musical to my ears. The DI-20 is a huge improvement over both in my opinion.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #1,769 of 5,351
Matrix has a $250 USB card that let's you turn off the power pin? I could get into that.

I actually borrowed an sbooster vbus2 isolator that does exactly that:

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/vbus2-isolator/

I was astonished that it actually made an improvement in spite of the fact that I have an ok well-sorted digital chain with a good usb cable (Dyrholm with separated power chord) and a paul hynes lps for the streamer. Even then, cutting the usb power from the streamer end with the vbus2 made an improvement on leading edges of instruments, voice details and dynamics - in the direction of more natural.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,770 of 5,351
I actually borrowed an sbooster vbus2 isolator that does exactly that
I'm guessing the vbus2 is more like one of these passive guys...
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Jitterbug-USB-Filter/dp/B00YTA78FW
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1350009-REG/ifi_audio_0306014_isilencer3_0.html
https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/iFi-iPurifier3-Inline-USB-Audio-Conditioner

The iFi is the only one that claims to have clocks (as does the Matrix USB card).
I haven't tried this newest iPurifier but I had+sold the first two versions.
I'm very much in the less-is-more camp, but I haven't yet been able to live w/o the w4s recovery.
I'm guessing any externally powered USB card would be the answer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back