Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #841 of 5,348
Forgot to mention my NUC is in one of those fanless silent cases: https://www.newegg.com/p/287-0009-00039?item=9SIAHR691S5991
So, definitely NOT loud. I am curious, though, whether moving to a dedicated hardware like the Innuos Zen Mk3 be an audible improvement.
I do understand their claims that the LPS and the separate power and clock for the USB out (for DAC) should have better results, at least measured results. But the big question: is it audible difference? and especially if I choose to use a DI-20 (or DI-20HE) between whichever music server and my DAC...
BTW, my NUC is running Win10 and Jriver Media Center software.

I used to have my music stored on the internal SSD harddisk in my iMac (with good fancontrol) using Audirvana or Roon as player and an USB/SPDIFF converter between the iMac and my dCS Upsampler and DAC.
I was quite satisfied with this solution – but shifting to a Innous ZEN MK 3 was a quite significant improvement. Recommendable from my point of wiew!! Even though I only played music stored on the ZEN I was quite surprised that bettering the LAN connection (LAN cable + LPS to the wifi-reciever) was necessary before i came in Zen :) with my new investment!

The USB output port from the Innous is probably good – but not better than Innuos have launched a Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker! And the important thing is also: how good is the USB-port on your DAC!

In my situation it doesn’t matter because my DAC don’t have an USB-port, so I need an USB/SPDIFF converter.
Therefore i repeat my question from earlier – as I know some of you have experience with the Gustard U16 with external clock - and it is not clear if some of the earlier U16 comparisons is with external clock

I had the first Audio GD DI for several years and consider the DI20 or DI20HE.

Right now I have another USB/SPDIFF converter, which I have compared with the Gustard U16.
My currrent USB/SPDIFF is clearly better than Gustard U16 – but with external clock (oscilloquartz ocxo) the U16 becomes better!
Better in the same way as described in this thread between U16 without clock and DI20 / DI20HE.

Is there anyone who can describe the difference in sound between Gustard U16 with external clock and Audio GD-DI20 or Audio GD-DI20HE ???
Much better or slightly better? And in what way ?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #842 of 5,348
I used to have my music stored on the internal SSD harddisk in my iMac (with good fancontrol) using Audirvana or Roon as player and an USB/SPDIFF converter between the iMac and my dCS Upsampler and DAC.
I was quite satisfied with this solution – but shifting to a Innous ZEN MK 3 was a quite significant improvement. Recommendable from my point of wiew!! Even though I only played music stored on the ZEN I was quite surprised that bettering the LAN connection (LAN cable + LPS to the wifi-reciever) was necessary before i came in Zen :) with my new investment!

The USB output port from the Innous is probably good – but not better than Innuos have launched a Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker! And the important thing is also: how good is the USB-port on your DAC!

In my situation it doesn’t matter because my DAC don’t have an USB-port, so I need an USB/SPDIFF converter.
Therefore i repeat my question from earlier – as I know some of you have experience with the Gustard U16 with external clock - and it is not clear if some of the earlier U16 comparisons is with external clock

I had the first Audio GD DI for several years and consider the DI20 or DI20HE.

Right now I have another USB/SPDIFF converter, which I have compared with the Gustard U16.
My currrent USB/SPDIFF is clearly better than Gustard U16 – but with external clock (oscilloquartz ocxo) the U16 becomes better!
Better in the same way as described in this thread between U16 without clock and DI20 / DI20HE.

Is there anyone who can describe the difference in sound between Gustard U16 with external clock and Audio GD-DI20 or Audio GD-DI20HE ???
Much better or slightly better? And in what way ?
To my ears and in my system, the DI-20 sounds much better than the U16/C16 combination. While the Gustard combination is very good, i found the soundstage to be more compressed on the same recordings, lacked a bit of body, backgrounds weren't as black, and most importantly to me, wasn't as musical. I now use the C16 with my DI-20 and the difference is even greater.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #843 of 5,348
A few days ago, I put the Audioquest Niagara 1200 AC filter and it made a change right away, so I considered worth the investment, but later on the system continued to improve and I dont really know wich component is improving the most: the Niagara, the DI-2 or some cables and valves also in their burning period. I think Im going crazy! :ksc75smile:
What did you have before the Niagara 1200 ?
What did it improve? I mean how would you describe the improvement?

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #844 of 5,348
To my ears and in my system, the DI-20 sounds much better than the U16/C16 combination. While the Gustard combination is very good, i found the soundstage to be more compressed on the same recordings, lacked a bit of body, backgrounds weren't as black, and most importantly to me, wasn't as musical. I now use the C16 with my DI-20 and the difference is even greater.
So I am guessing / assuming that coming from the Gustard U12 - the change / improvement would be even greater?
I am still waiting for people to post some DI-20 vs. DI-20HE comparisons. Several people on this thread posted they have both...

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #845 of 5,348
shifting to a Innous ZEN MK 3 was a quite significant improvement. Recommendable from my point of wiew!!
Can you please try to describe WHAT was improved? I would gladly upgrade to the Zen MK3 if the improvement in sound is there (and audible to me)!

Even though I only played music stored on the ZEN I was quite surprised that bettering the LAN connection (LAN cable + LPS to the wifi-reciever) was necessary before i came in Zen :) with my new investment!
I also play ONLY locally stored music. In my case, the Zen will be connected to an Eero Pro (mesh WiFi network) - just like this one: https://eero.com/shop/individual-eero-pro
Are you saying that I would benefit by dumping the generic Cat 5 Ethernet cable, and instead use what? Better LAN cable? (if so - which do you use / recommend?)
I do not even know if LPS exists for the eero... Being fed by USB Type C connector - I guess I could get a LPS that outputs USB Type C...

The Phoenix cost more than the Zen... Thanks, but not gonna happen here :wink: I think my DAC has a pretty good USB. Besides, I use a Gustard U12, and will consider upgrade to the DI-20 or DI-20HE in the near future.

Thanks @Bech for your notes so far. I really appreciate it, and hope you can answer my questions above :wink:

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #846 of 5,348
What did you have before the Niagara 1200 ?
What did it improve? I mean how would you describe the improvement?

Well, I have a dedicated AC line (right from the entrance of the house), then a Holton DC Blocker and then the Niagara 1200, wich its connected to to all of gear, except for the two subs, wich are connected to one of the circuits of the house. All of the power cables from the DC Blocker to the system are DH Labs, some AC Power Plus bulk model and some Red Wave bulk model (this one pretty good). The Niagara replaced a Bada LB-5600, wich is also a pretty decent budget AC filter.

I believe that the AC power I was using, before the Niagara, was already pretty clean. If you use it to filter a dirtier AC line, I guess the differences could be bigger.

Tha biggest change I've found is lower noise floor. Meaning that better detail, blacker background, less sibilance, better tone... well, more realism. I guess as I already had a pretty clean AC line, the change was not dramatic, but noticeable easily. I also guess that the more resolution the system has, the more you will be able to hear the difference.

I would LOVE to change my R8, DI-20 and M1 to the HE versions, but to me it would be too expensive and the currency in my country (Argentina) devalues all the time, making harder and harder for us to buy things abroad, so that's why I have all this AC conditioners and filters to resemble the HE versions. :triportsad:

By the way, I have three PS Audio Noise Harvesters. In my system, they made NO difference in sound whatsoever.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #848 of 5,348
The Niagara replaced a Bada LB-5600, wich is also a pretty decent budget AC filter.
I currently use the PS Audio Dectet, which is a budget "power center", that according to PS Audio: "offers both common mode and differential mode filtering". Someone (on a different thread) claims the Niagara 1200 is much better. I will definitely consider it in the future!

All of the power cables from the DC Blocker to the system are DH Labs, some AC Power Plus bulk model and some Red Wave bulk model (this one pretty good).
I am using WireWorld power cables. They are thick and flat, which make them a pain in the butt to route and handle! :angry:
My power cables are in the price range of the "Plus" cable by DH Labs. The Red Wave are much more expensive...

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #850 of 5,348
I think DI-20HE has more jobs done on power regeneration and DI-20 has only LPS built-in comparing to its HE version. You can ask Kingwa about them directly.
I am actually waiting for people's impressions on the difference. Not technical spec comparison.
I am sure the HE model is technically better. However, if people report they can hear NO difference, then maybe the improvements done with the HE do not add anything to the end user...

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #851 of 5,348
Does the Holton DC Blocker actually work? Did you hear any humming before it & then it eliminated the hum?

No, I didnt have any hum noticeable.

The Holton DC Blocker made a similar change to the Niagara 1200 and the Bada 5600, it cleaned the sound. Im sure the Niagara its better than the Bada (it also costs five times more), but I cannot compare it against the DC Blocker as today they are connected in a serial configuration and to make the comparison will require a lot of work, wich Im not willing to do.

Both made a good impact in sound quality and I believe they make a different job, so I keep them both working together and the Bada is filtering one subwoofer AC line.

By the way, I find Audio-gd products very sensitive to AC quality, as most digital components. I totally recomend AC conditioning for them.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #854 of 5,348
Even though I only played music stored on the ZEN I was quite surprised that bettering the LAN connection (LAN cable + LPS to the wifi-reciever) was necessary before i came in Zen :) with my new investment!
I plan to connect the Zen server to an Eero Pro (https://eero.com/shop/individual-eero-pro)
Are you recommending high-end Ethernet cable? Which do you use?
Also, which LPS are you using? I do not even know if LPS exists for the eero... At least I could not find any that is custom made for it.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #855 of 5,348
I plan to connect the Zen server to an Eero Pro (https://eero.com/shop/individual-eero-pro)
Are you recommending high-end Ethernet cable? Which do you use?
Also, which LPS are you using? I do not even know if LPS exists for the eero... At least I could not find any that is custom made for it.
When I changed from using my computer as a server to the Aurender server I thought that that was a very nice improvement in music sound quality from my own music files and a slight improvement in Tidal streaming.

When I borrowed one of my Audio Sensibility Power cables from an analog component to try on the Aurender I thought, wow, that makes an even bigger difference in the music sound quality from my server and the Tidal server but there was still was a big difference between my server and Tidal's server.

When I added a two meter WireWorld Starlight 8 ethernet cable between my cheap desktop ethernet switch and my Aurender, the SQ difference between my server and the Tidal sever became very small. I took the WireWorld Starlight to my brother's house to try on his Innous Zenith MKII and asked him if it made a difference. Within two minutes of listening, he picked up his phone and ordered one.

An upgraded switch is in my future plans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back