Audio-GD DI-20
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #856 of 5,351
Can you please try to describe WHAT was improved? I would gladly upgrade to the Zen MK3 if the improvement in sound is there (and audible to me)!

I also play ONLY locally stored music. In my case, the Zen will be connected to an Eero Pro (mesh WiFi network) - just like this one: https://eero.com/shop/individual-eero-pro
Are you saying that I would benefit by dumping the generic Cat 5 Ethernet cable, and instead use what? Better LAN cable? (if so - which do you use / recommend?)
I do not even know if LPS exists for the eero... Being fed by USB Type C connector - I guess I could get a LPS that outputs USB Type C...

The Phoenix cost more than the Zen... Thanks, but not gonna happen here :wink: I think my DAC has a pretty good USB. Besides, I use a Gustard U12, and will consider upgrade to the DI-20 or DI-20HE in the near future.

Thanks @Bech for your notes so far. I really appreciate it, and hope you can answer my questions above :wink:

I made an A-B test yesterday between my iMac and Innuos ZEN as source. It took some time to shift back to the iMac, and I thought it sounded pretty OK and wondered if the ZEN was overkill. But shifting back proved I was wrong. Less distance to the music, less flat, voices and bas better defined and in general more naturel and “right” sounding.

I have improved my chain before my upsampler/DAC the past years and in general all improvements are in the same direction.

Try to watch Hans Beekhuyzen channel – ex. the videos about SOTM starting with the earliest. Darko has a good review off the ZEN as well.

Abouth the LAN cable. My first impression af the ZEN was that it was definitely better than the iMac but I felt I missed something. My friend with the Gustard U16 came by with his new hifi swich an other LAN gear – and this helped a lot! Next day I borrowed an used Audioquest carbon LAN cable – and was in zen from first minute – I felt more calmness an magic in the music. Later I have improved even more.

About the level of the U12 (and improve the power-supply) – se here:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1172

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #857 of 5,351
To my ears and in my system, the DI-20 sounds much better than the U16/C16 combination. While the Gustard combination is very good, i found the soundstage to be more compressed on the same recordings, lacked a bit of body, backgrounds weren't as black, and most importantly to me, wasn't as musical. I now use the C16 with my DI-20 and the difference is even greater.

Thanks - just the clarification I needed.
After approx. 2 months I still can feel what is missing from my short experience with the Gustard U16 with external clock!!! I will probably go for the DI-20 - using a power conditioner I think the DI-20HE will be overkill.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #858 of 5,351
I made an A-B test yesterday between my iMac and Innuos ZEN as source. It took some time to shift back to the iMac, and I thought it sounded pretty OK and wondered if the ZEN was overkill. But shifting back proved I was wrong. Less distance to the music, less flat, voices and bas better defined and in general more naturel and “right” sounding.
Good stuff - thanks! I am actually getting a Zen Mk3 for trying at home and A/B with my fanless NUC based music server.

Try to watch Hans Beekhuyzen channel – ex. the videos about SOTM starting with the earliest. Darko has a good review off the ZEN as well.
I did watch Darko's review when I first started to consider the Zen... I will look for Hans Beekhuyzen review. Might have watched it long ago (if that is an old review). Will watch it either way today! Thanks for suggesting it.

Next day I borrowed an used Audioquest carbon LAN cable – and was in zen from first minute – I felt more calmness an magic in the music. Later I have improved even more.
AQ does not have a "carbon" LAN cable... :wink: They have Pearl, Forest, Cinnamon, Vokda and Diamond (see: https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/rj-e-ethernet). I am curious which have you tried?

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #859 of 5,351
Thanks - just the clarification I needed.
After approx. 2 months I still can feel what is missing from my short experience with the Gustard U16 with external clock!!! I will probably go for the DI-20 - using a power conditioner I think the DI-20HE will be overkill.
I am still waiting for someone to compare DI-20 to DI-20HE...... (hopefully more than 1 person, so we can read several opinions)

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #860 of 5,351
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #861 of 5,351
@Monsterzero
A friend just ordered the lampi amber3 (delta sigma) so in 3 weeks I'll get to compare it's usb input vs it's AES from my di20he
Maybe the atlantic (discrete ladder) will be present that day as well.
Wondering if you have had time to check this combo out yet?

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #862 of 5,351
Oh yes the do. Google is your friend :wink:
Search for “ audioquest carbon lan” and my cable is hit 1: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-cat7-carbon-rj-e-ethernet-cable-custom
Interesting!!!
I have only checked AQ's website. Wonder why it is not there... Thanks and apologies.
Judging by price - it is NOT a crazy expensive cable, and yet improves audio (compared to non-brand el-cheapo LAN cable). Good to know :)
From some reviews and discussions I have been reading in the last couple days - another good option is Supra (I own their USB cable which is great and reasonable priced).

Feb 2, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #864 of 5,351
I am still waiting for someone to compare DI-20 to DI-20HE...... (hopefully more than 1 person, so we can read several opinions)
I only recall one person saying he had both and he said he would post his opinion of the differences when he had the chance to spend enough time doing the comparison. I doubt you are going to find very many if any more are owners of both.

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #867 of 5,351
I only recall one person saying he had both and he said he would post his opinion of the differences when he had the chance to spend enough time doing the comparison. I doubt you are going to find very many if any more are owners of both.
I thought it was more than 1 person, but I could be wrong. I will take whatever I can...
Either would probably wipe the floor with my Gustard U12 :wink:

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #870 of 5,351
I completely agree with jimmychan. U16 beats SU-6 by a small margin (soundwise). Di20HE beats them all. Why? Less grain in the vocals, excellent soundstage, smooth highs, rich midrange, and great bass/ rhythm..

The DI20 is more versatile with many modes of operations and features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back