Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 20, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #421 of 5,351
Almost 600 hours now (~590), and at this state I think the DI20HE is representative for a honest review.

This device breathes and acts all high end now. I have never before had this outstanding performance. Still running Parallell DoP firmware in the R7 (I2S/HDMI). The TDA.dac is fed with a DH-Labs AES/EBU cable. I have a true feeling of "end game" with this now. Kingwa will probably ruin that feeling sooner than later. I can live with that.

Alot of all You guys and girls burning in Your DI's will have a nice Christmas gift to really enjoy..
/Jan

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #422 of 5,351
Folks,be sure to give the internal acusilicons proper running time to burn in, however long that may take...

i've had a very interesting chat with Kingwa re. int and ext clocks on the DI-20HE, and I believe the internal clocks will be competitive in SQ when fully run in. I've decided not to pursue the ext clocks anymore after the discussion
By comparing the SPDIF cables built by MPS X-7(with MPS plugs) and Canare L-5CFB(with Canare plugs), I think 75ohm and a solid conductor core are more important than the materiel of OCC/OFC and whether it is silver-plated or not in digital signal transmission of a coaxial cable. And of cause, lower gauge is better. (L-5CFB is 18awg.)

I think there will be somebody who want to try a affordable, solid and low wire gauge conductor core and true 75ohm video cable on the SPDIF acss output. Belden has silver-plated 14awg 4731R and 4731P, and 16awg 4794R. They are not OCC or OFC, just low gauge and silver-plated solid copper. And they are designed to transfer 4K and 8K video signal(based on Belden's flyer).

4794R cable has arrived for testing :wink:

IMG_20191220_152305.jpg

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #423 of 5,351
External clocks are a safe bet initially with a new DI. I switched back to internal yesterday and actually have better bass, dynamics, and highs running internal. So will give those try for a while... until better OCXO power supply received at least.

After 10 days external clock is still a little dark and mysterious. Internal is what I started with initially and made all the comments comparing the SU-6. From experience the Accusilicon XOs take a while to run in. So must be patient and keep power applied to the DI. .

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #424 of 5,351
Hello guys
I've got my DI-20 (non HE) and, after 24 hs of burning, I tried it against the U16.

Its fair to mention that with so many changes in the last weeks (R8 firmware last weekend for instance), its hard to be 100% sure about the changes in sound, but I think the differences were there, easy to detect, so I post this. I've found that the DI-20, with only 24 hs of burning, has bigger soundstage, more details and better bass than the U16.

Also I've found that I like better the internal Accusilicons 90/98 over my external budget chinese OCXO.

Finally, Kingwa told me that the DI-20 can burn in just leaving it power on. There's no need for play music through it.

Dec 20, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #425 of 5,351
I forgot to mention, even I dont play much Hi-Res files, mostly PCM 44.1, its a pleasure being able to change sample rates with no issues whatsoever!

I've only had a couple of times random noise, but I guess it must be something related to the external OCXO and DI connection.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #426 of 5,351
I forgot to mention, even I dont play much Hi-Res files, mostly PCM 44.1, its a pleasure being able to change sample rates with no issues whatsoever!

I've only had a couple of times random noise, but I guess it must be something related to the external OCXO and DI connection.
Likely the external xo. But some can occur during burn-in with internal too, pretty common stuff.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #427 of 5,351
500 hrs of burning so far fotDI20HE, 3rd times to listen since , this time...... oh my...I never heard music like this with my system. I don’t know what to say but all is bliss to my ears and aura. All is in the right place and the timbre in all scale is so proper that I feel that the tears will fall on my eyes. There is more space for improvement as it’s only half way to 1000hrs of burning. I’m using i2s connection with audioquest coffee cable and curious usb cable. My R2R 7HE has 2-hdmi connection . Any improvement after this stage for me is a nice welcome consolation . I’m satisfied now and hope to avoid future upgratidis sickness or may be avoid reading the forum for a while .

Dec 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #430 of 5,351
500 hrs of burning so far fotDI20HE, 3rd times to listen since , this time...... oh my...I never heard music like this with my system. I don’t know what to say but all is bliss to my ears and aura. All is in the right place and the timbre in all scale is so proper that I feel that the tears will fall on my eyes. There is more space for improvement as it’s only half way to 1000hrs of burning. I’m using i2s connection with audioquest coffee cable and curious usb cable. My R2R 7HE has 2-hdmi connection . Any improvement after this stage for me is a nice welcome consolation . I’m satisfied now and hope to avoid future upgratidis sickness or may be avoid reading the forum for a while .

Hello Dacver
How good is for the USB Curious Cable?
Do you find it worthwile for the price?
I was thinking about trying it between my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo and my DI-20, but Im a little bit skeptic about USB cables, the price is not cheap and, even with free trial period, to return it to Australia is not easy for me living in Argentina.

Dec 20, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #431 of 5,351
Hello Dacver
How good is for the USB Curious Cable?
Do you find it worthwile for the price?
I was thinking about trying it between my SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo and my DI-20, but Im a little bit skeptic about USB cables, the price is not cheap and, even with free trial period, to return it to Australia is not easy for me living in Argentina.

Hi PLGA,
When I bought the curious I aim for the best usb cable I can afford. I can hear the goodness it extract from the recording intend by the engineer (I think) compare to the generic one i got. I do not have other branded names that is why I can not say it is better than other known usb cable. You can read a lot of review and it’s one one of the best available. For me I’m very happy with the investment I made. I have the 1.5m and the 0.3m for the intona. Yes very expensive, actually when I visit the site they got a new version which is more expensive than the original one.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #432 of 5,351
My DI-20HE has been on, just under 100 hours. I have the Gustard C16 as an external clock. So far, I am able to play In both “Series” AND “Parallel” mode using C16 as external clock. Can anyone expound on the technical differences between S&P modes? And can someone who has high hour break-in count, chime in on the sonic differences between the two? Thanks

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #433 of 5,351
My DI-20HE has been on, just under 100 hours. I have the Gustard C16 as an external clock. So far, I am able to play In both “Series” AND “Parallel” mode using C16 as external clock. Can anyone expound on the technical differences between S&P modes? And can someone who has high hour break-in count, chime in on the sonic differences between the two? Thanks
The parallel is a different implementation, using parallel processing of the music signal words, as opposed to processing the signal bit per bit, the serial mode. According to Kingwa, fewer clock signals are required in parallel mode, leading to a possibly more accurate timing. For me, the parallel mode is superior, sounds more lively and resolved. Both implementations have been left to give users a choice.

How do you like the DI-20HE so far?

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #434 of 5,351
Fred; With only 100 hours on it, my honest assessment is: My well broken-in U16/C16 combo was superior on all parameters. As I have mention here, and on the U16 thread...my Gustard U16 (HDMI out to PS Audio Direcstream DAC) easily beat the Mutec MC3+usb, and Singxer Kitsune' tuned SU1. I have high confidence that the Audio-GD DI will exceed the Gustard, but it just has not happened yet...let the flames begin...

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #435 of 5,351
Yep, i hope it does it for you. One thing is for sure, it has been tuned and devopped using audio-gd dacs, also depending on the dac, the best possible output should vary. On thing for sure, the di needs a lot more burn in, even the u16 was recommended 250 or 350 hours, can't remember the actual number. With audio-gd, any high-end unit needs around 6 month to be fully burned in. But after 3 weeks, you will be 95-98 percent done and you'll know what you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back