Audio-GD DI-20
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,441 of 5,353
I switched between asio, wasapi and directsound in foobar2000 as per kingwa's instructions. All of them have tons of static and the music pauses for 1 second every 20-30 sec, same problem no matter what.

When swapping the dx usb back in, it plays flawlessly.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #1,442 of 5,353
Firstly, trouble shooting by elimination.
Connect a SPDIF out to the SPDIF in of the DI20HE, select 2-coaxial in. Keep connecting AES out to your DAC.
This could verify the working order of the DI20HE. If this is working, then the problem lies on USB.
You may need to reflash the USB again.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,443 of 5,353
Firstly, trouble shooting by elimination.
Connect a SPDIF out to the SPDIF in of the DI20HE, select 2-coaxial in. Keep connecting AES out to your DAC.
This could verify the working order of the DI20HE. If this is working, then the problem lies on USB.
You may need to reflash the USB again.

I sort of did this. What I did was PC -> USB -> DX usb -> SPDIF -> DI20HE -> AES -> DAC. And I got no sound. I made sure dx usb was the main device. I think though the problem here is that windows has problems with 2x DDC in a series?

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #1,444 of 5,353
Once I put SPDIF cable in and AES in at the same time but using AES input it seems to be working now. Static sound is gone and its not pausing anymore. Only other thing I did was restart it? Now its working with roon also.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #1,445 of 5,353
This thing sounds incredible. Incredible detail I never heard before.. soundstage expands so you can't tell where the borders are... like headphones disappear. Everything sounds real, natural including voices. Background vocals or minimal ambient cues explode with a mirage of dimensionality now. This with HD800S I am going to be comparing this to the u1 mini (with keces p8) and try to rig the u1 mini + di20HE together.

I can't wait to listen on ns5000 tomorrow.

I am using it with a pi4b streamer.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #1,446 of 5,353
Ok so after listening for about 45 mins I only got 2 of those pauses that happen for 1 second. So its at least much better.

Wonder if it could an issue with amanero? Thinking of reinstalling amanero driver.

I wish the coax strategy worked then i can side step usb altogether by doing dx usb in front -> coax di20he -> aes -> dac

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,447 of 5,353
Ok so after listening for about 45 mins I only got 2 of those pauses that happen for 1 second. So its at least much better.

Wonder if it could an issue with amanero? Thinking of reinstalling amanero driver.

I wish the coax strategy worked then i can side step usb altogether by doing dx usb in front -> coax di20he -> aes -> dac

Try a different RPi, or a clean powered RPi. Sometimes, I get it too, but solved by swapping the RPi4b.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,448 of 5,353
Once I put SPDIF cable in and AES in at the same time but using AES input it seems to be working now. Static sound is gone and its not pausing anymore. Only other thing I did was restart it? Now its working with roon also.

Did I hear this right?
Your using the DI's USB input and you need to plug both coax and AES into the DAC? And now your DAC's coax and AES inputs both work?

I never tried my DI20's coax in. I though it was silly but now I'm intrigued by the thought of using a commercial transport that only has a coax output (no I2S, no 10mhz). When I get my Morion then I can hear what a serious reclocking chain can do for a $300 CD player.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,449 of 5,353
After starting my PC and di20HE today I again get no sound and also now causing distortions on my pc on roon. Foobar also doesn't work with wasapi, asio or directsound.

di20he.jpg

di20hev2.jpg

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,451 of 5,353
@smodtactical
and when you switch it to external clock (which isn't connected) it just goes silent (no static)?

I only selected ext clock once and it just said 'failed'.

Oh and before when I said I connected spdif and AES inputs I meant to say outputs.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,452 of 5,353
@smodtactical
and when you switch it to external clock (which isn't connected) it just goes silent (no static)?

@FredA
Q: if this were a lock/timing issue, would it be circumvented by hooking up a 10mhz clock? If so I guess it's conceivable that a properly functioning DI20 could exhibit those symptoms by hooking up a bad 10mhz clock.
Don’t think so. Maybe a compatibility issue with the Terminator. Or an issue with the di20...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,453 of 5,353
Don’t think so. Maybe a compatibility issue with the Terminator. Or an issue with the di20...

I am guessing issue with di20. I really want to open it up and look inside but waiting for Kingwa to let me know what to do.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,455 of 5,353
BTW
pre-covid a friend brought over a Terminator v2 to my place and my di20he worked great. And when it worked you enjoyed the di20 over the Terminator's USB input?

No i did PC -> USB -> DI20HE -> AES -> Terminator and yes it worked yesterday.

Kingwa requested a video with all my settings and setup so I did a 25 min video and sent it to him. First I uploaded to youtube but its blocked for him so uploaded a lower quality version to my private server and sent it over to him. In the video I swapped the sotm dx for the di20he and showed in the video the swap and that it played perfectly whereas the di20HE did not.

Whats weird is I use terminator usb input for my general PC/youtube use and it always works perfectly. And that also uses amanero board? So it makes me doubt its a problem with my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back