Audio-GD DI-20
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #5,296 of 5,348
Yes I do!
Don´t get me wrong I knew from last discussion you were not worth the time. You don´t even own the R8H2 and draw to conclusion.
-or do you have the R8?

Here is a hint for you
It just refines the R8H2 in a way I like it a loooot!

Which word will answer your question? You will only find by digging my previous post of my impression of the R8H2 vs R1N.

Have a nice weekend:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #5,297 of 5,348
Don´t get me wrong I knew from last discussion you were not worth the time. You don´t even own the R8H2 and draw to conclusion.
-or do you have the R8?

Here is a hint for you

Which word will answer your question? You will only find by digging my previous post of my impression of the R8H2 vs R1N.

Have a nice weekend:beerchug:

I own an Audio-GD DI-20HE.

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #5,298 of 5,348
I own an Audio-GD DI-20HE.
Yes that is also a way to respond to a simple question.

But you do not own the DI20(non-he)

I own both. Another one you don´t own....drawing to conclusion again - Or are you assuming both DI20s sounds the same?

I can keep going....

SMH

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #5,299 of 5,348
@Articnoise don´t be afraid to contact me in DM, however feel free, trying to make a point in this thread. I won´t judge

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #5,300 of 5,348
Moving on to DI-20 vs DI-20HE

These are two different sounding, even though they share the same/some technicalities, they don´t share the same sonic signature. If you think you can buy a very good PSU and make non-HE sound like the HE model. I think there will be a lot of money wasted.

DI-20 has a more edgy and faster transient response, also brings out more details that can be left in the shadows of the darker/heavy sounding DACs. Very good combo with R8H2, better than the HE model, because R8H2 already have the dark analog warmth, but on the harder side, so cable pairing can do the trick on making it refined to a softer punch

DI-20HE is more thicker, with analog silky smooth HF, and is not as aggressive in the HF, compatible with neutral/brighter sounding DACs that needs body. Very good combo with R1N.

DI-20 is not as forgiving as DI-20HE. Sounds more edgy/sharper - I will highly recommend the cheap Inakustik if you own the R8H2. My chain is:

SPDIF -> DI-20 -> SPDIF -> R8H2 -> H9L

This inakustik cable is a refinement softenening the R8H2 hardness. Makes it more sweet. Same cable on R1N/DI20HE feels like the R1N is missing something(body) - even on DI20HE. Thats how much analog power the R8H2 got. A good cable/DI pairing will refine and soften it.

The R1N is a different approach, it needs a cable that can "add" to the silky DI-20HE. These cables can cost much more, according to their specification.

These are my findings. DI-20 and DI-20HE is not the same. Choose according to your DACs sonic signatures.

Recommendation:

Brighter or neutral sounding DAC = DI20HE
Dark or warmer sounding DAC = DI-20

Don´t just go for the HE for the REG PSU. Even the DI-20 has good PSU. Choose according to the sonic signatures of the DAC imo.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 1:45 AM Post #5,301 of 5,348
Well, well, well. What have we here then?
IMG_0348.jpeg
Many thanks to @Mr Brett for the kind loan of his DI-20HE and so much more. I’ve heard quite a bit about the legendary DI-20HE, very much looking forward to listening to it.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #5,302 of 5,348
The HDMI-IIS outputs on either the DI-20HE or DI-24HE can this be used to connect to the Holoaudio May/Spring and Holoaudio Cyan 2 DACs I2S input?
I have the DI-24HE and would like to know if I can use the HDMI-IIS output to connect to the I2S Holoaudio Cyan 2 DAC?
As the inputs on the May/Spring and Cyan 2 DACs are all the same if anyone has any of these setups with any of the three DACs can you let me know if this works? I do not no much about these connections as I have never used them. Thanks

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #5,303 of 5,348
The HDMI-IIS outputs on either the DI-20HE or DI-24HE can this be used to connect to the Holoaudio May/Spring and Holoaudio Cyan 2 DACs I2S input?
I have the DI-24HE and would like to know if I can use the HDMI-IIS output to connect to the I2S Holoaudio Cyan 2 DAC?
As the inputs on the May/Spring and Cyan 2 DACs are all the same if anyone has any of these setups with any of the three DACs can you let me know if this works? I do not no much about these connections as I have never used them. Thanks
Looks to me like the Audio-Gd option 1 HDMI I2S pin layout is an exact match for the Holo HDMI I2S pin config (source Kitsune). I note that unlike Gustard the Holo seems to auto detect DSD so doesn’t rely on getting a PIN15 DSD ON/OFF flag which the DI20/24 don’t send from any pin as it also expects a DSD auto-detecting DAC. Whereas with Holo no issues at all as far as I can see, looks like a serendipitous 100% match.

IMG_0193.jpeg

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #5,304 of 5,348
You'll also find the Tubulus Argentus V2 I2S cable will match most configurations, according to Aldwin from Tubulus.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #5,305 of 5,348
Looks to me like the Audio-Gd option 1 HDMI I2S pin layout is an exact match for the Holo HDMI I2S pin config (source Kitsune). I note that unlike Gustard the Holo seems to auto detect DSD so doesn’t rely on getting a PIN15 DSD ON/OFF flag which the DI20/24 don’t send from any pin as it also expects a DSD auto-detecting DAC. Whereas with Holo no issues at all as far as I can see, looks like a serendipitous 100% match.

IMG_0193.jpeg
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #5,306 of 5,348
Try all the outputs. Even the ACSS BNC/RCA which very good.

AES, SPDIF, ACSS or I2S. They are all good.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #5,307 of 5,348
Try all the outputs. Even the ACSS BNC/RCA which very good.

AES, SPDIF, ACSS or I2S. They are all good.
BNC output is just to external clock is that correct?

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #5,308 of 5,348
BNC output is just to external clock is that correct?
There are three BNC:

1. INPUT 10Mhz is for master clock
2. Ext clock output. Not needed
3. ACSS. For SPDIF output to DAC

It has two SPDIF(STD/ACSS)outputs. However use them one at a time. Both are very good

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #5,309 of 5,348
Is there a best practice of these modes?

"P" (Parallel) means the signal will be processed internally by the 32 bit (PCM) or 64 bit (DSD) parallel mode . "S" (Serial) means the signal will be processed by the serial mode.

I dont understand serial mode

From what I came across, Serial mode needs at minimum 8 and up to 24 clock cycles.

In Parallel mode, only 1 clock cycle is needed to output all data. Parallel is more complex but can correct every bit of the ladder.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #5,310 of 5,348
Bad day?

4.075 and 3.99 so far is good. But 4.075 is my favorite
Nice to follow your tryouts with the different firmware versions. Did you also try the original 3.32 version? In my system, this is still the best sounding.. In serial mode.. most natural sounding, authentic with impact and weight in base and a no harshness i high frequencies.. (I have the nonHE version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back