Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #4,081 of 5,353
Just to my DDC (Gust U18, not the di20) as my current DAC doesn't have clock in. New DAC with 10M clock input en route, will try then.
That's pretty impressive improvement for just the ddc connection.

Sep 22, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,082 of 5,353
That's pretty impressive improvement for just the ddc connection.
I may have gotten a little carried away with the 'night and day' ref, but it is for me, not a subtle difference. Setup is far from optimal as U18 DDC is connected to DAC via toslink (yep, it doesn't have an I2S either!) so will use I2S on new DAC on arrival and report back.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #4,084 of 5,353
I may have gotten a little carried away with the 'night and day' ref, but it is for me, not a subtle difference. Setup is far from optimal as U18 DDC is connected to DAC via toslink (yep, it doesn't have an I2S either!) so will use I2S on new DAC on arrival and report back.
Too late, you've already convinced me that i need one.

To not get it would be a disservice to myself and disrespectful to the audio gods. Blessed be the fruit.

Sep 23, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,085 of 5,353
Too late, you've already convinced me that i need one.

To not get it would be a disservice to myself and disrespectful to the audio gods. Blessed be the fruit.
The pairing of the LHY OCK-1 and the DI20HE showed a very high result in terms of sound enhancement. Listening for the third day, just a delight both in the speakers and in the headphones. LHY OCK-1 I recommend it with confidence :vulcan:.

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #4,086 of 5,353
Im in for DDC at the moment, as I also have a jcat usb xe.

Chord TT2 is known for very bad USB implementation to my surprise after alot of google.

There I need spdif connection to my TT2.

Im wondering why there is no optical on them.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #4,087 of 5,353
S/pdif input qn

One reason I'm considering the DI20 (probably HE), acknowledging but putting to one side for now its high performance with USB inputs, is its ability to accept a s/pdif input. I tried to follow the discussion earlier in the thread about whether or not it reclocks the signal - I think the conclusion was, to quote @sajunky, "...not reclocking but a simple case of a clock synchronisation."

In any case I'm more interested in how it actually sounds with s/pdif. In particular how does the DI-20 fare with an average to poor quality spdif input.. say from a TV or other AV device, then outputting via I2s? This would be my use case for the s/pdif input.

interested in your experiences here, how much does the DI20 clean up/improve the sound vs going direct? Appreciate it'll depend on the DAC too.

Finally has anyone compared this to the Ifi s/pdif Ipurifier2? I'm assuming the DI20 would trump it comfortably but a confirmation would be nice.

I have the Ipurifier s/pdif v1 (20db more jitter/phase noize than the v2 apparently, per IFI ) which is an improvement over going direct but it can't quite manage to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. TV content still comes through a bit thin and edgy through my Focal Sopras that replaced some more forgiving KEF LS50s.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #4,088 of 5,353
Have bought a used DI-20HE.
Listened last night for the first time.
Also with a re-clocked network switch and LPS, and new ethernet cables.
I knew the music very well.
On the surface was the music I knew.
But underneath, there was so much more information.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #4,089 of 5,353
An obvious next step is to add a clock.
Any suggestions for the DI-20HE?

Probably looking at the US$500-$1300 mark.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #4,090 of 5,353
I just wish the DI20HE had optical option. Because of that I am looking at(singxer, matrix and denafrips)

Thinking of Matrix so I can save up to the best dac possible(audio-gd)

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #4,091 of 5,353
I was surprised there was no optical in.
Had previously been using that for movies into my system.
And I thought the ACSS was BNC, but couldn't get it to work.
Running an old Atlas Compass coax cable to my old Dac, but still an impressive step up for me.
I'd heard from someone whose opinions I respect that the DI-20HE is better than Denafrips, Gustard and Singxer.
It was his (and a couple of others) who set my mind on one.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #4,092 of 5,353
I was surprised there was no optical in.
Had previously been using that for movies into my system.
And I thought the ACSS was BNC, but couldn't get it to work.
Running an old Atlas Compass coax cable to my old Dac, but still an impressive step up for me.
I'd heard from someone whose opinions I respect that the DI-20HE is better than Denafrips, Gustard and Singxer.
It was his (and a couple of others) who set my mind on one.
If I go that route Im selling my TT2:sweat_smile:

HE9LE. I have
R7HEmk2 want
DI20HE want

is the HDMI option the best method(di20he to r7he)?

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #4,093 of 5,353
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #4,094 of 5,353
Musical Phoenix vs Denafrips hermes/gaia

Who is copying who here? Same company?

They look exactly the same

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #4,095 of 5,353
Musical Phoenix vs Denafrips hermes/gaia

Who is copying who here? Same company?

They look exactly the same
Yeah this was reported at the time. No official answer, all we can guess is extra production capacity on the manufacturing line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back