Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 6, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #4,007 of 5,351
I'm with @sajunky on this, don't bother reclocking USB or ethernet.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4,008 of 5,351
Hi ,
Hope you guy can help. Just got my hands on a DI 20HD,and been having a hard time getting it to work.
l run ,Win 10 PC with Jriver mc29,l output via MATRIX AUDIO ELEMENT H USB CARD, l have selected Amereo drivers and l can see that the output is reaching the GD, and indeed different sample rates are being displayed on GD.
However l cannot seem to output via l2s, l can actually hear a quiet distorted sound of the audio.
My DAC is a SMSL M400, l can see that the DAC is getting a signal, but is permanently on DSD setting,although l only output PCM from the PC.
Naturally l am frustrated,having gone through the settings many times.
Could you chaps double check, l believe my issue is that the GD I2s output is not compatible with my M400 DAC. l believe its pin 19 can a glance, could be more pins.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/547.html

l would post a diagram, but l can seem where to upload it,

ll would really appreciate it you could look, before l go crazy 🤪
Many thanks

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #4,009 of 5,351
Hi ,
Hope you guy can help. Just got my hands on a DI 20HD,and been having a hard time getting it to work.
l run ,Win 10 PC with Jriver mc29,l output via MATRIX AUDIO ELEMENT H USB CARD, l have selected Amereo drivers and l can see that the output is reaching the GD, and indeed different sample rates are being displayed on GD.
However l cannot seem to output via l2s, l can actually hear a quiet distorted sound of the audio.
My DAC is a SMSL M400, l can see that the DAC is getting a signal, but is permanently on DSD setting,although l only output PCM from the PC.
Could you chaps double check, l believe my issue is that the GD I2s output is not compatible with my M400 DAC. l believe its pin 19 can a glance, could be more pins.

Many thanks
Forgot to mention, l also run a Gustard U18 with this setup without a hitch

Sep 6, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #4,010 of 5,351
Hi ,

Many thanks
First and foremost, no hot plugging /unplugging of the hdmi cable.
The smsl has to be configured in normal i2s mode and the di20he has to have the 3rd digit set to "n" and the fourth set to "2" in the settings mode.

Follow this :
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20/DI20EN_Use.htm

I got the smsl pin def here

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...ac-es9038pro-aesebu-hdmi-i2s-mqa-p-14680.html

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #4,011 of 5,351
First and foremost, no hot plugging /unplugging of the hdmi cable.
The smsl has to be configured in normal i2s mode and the di20he has to have the 3rd digit set to "n" and the fourth set to "2" in the settings mode.

Follow this :
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20/DI20EN_Use.htm

I got the smsl pin def here

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/stre...ac-es9038pro-aesebu-hdmi-i2s-mqa-p-14680.html
Okay ,l will try this out tomorrow, fingers crossed, btw no hot pluging, M400 is set to normal l2s when running to the Gustard U18.
l will report back.

One other question, l presume l use the WASPI Amereo driver for replay

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #4,013 of 5,351
Okay ,l will try this out tomorrow, fingers crossed, btw no hot pluging, M400 is set to normal l2s when running to the Gustard U18.
l will report back.

You possibly have a driver issue cause whatever the i2s output settings, it should display 44.1, 48.0, 88.2, 96.0, 176, 192 or 384 if you play pcm. Have you installed the amanero driver?

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #4,014 of 5,351
Have already mentioned this in my precious few posts here, but am old; young at heart though!
With age comes a certain.. unwillingness? To accept or even consider new things :)

Partly this, partly my near exclusively working on analog (different budget, so unfair a comparison, but am mentioning it so you know whom you're talking to), i initially went /sigh on the whole L2S thing. You know, new trends again, they have to sell something "new", more software alchemies, etc etc.
But tonight i thought feck it, don't be such a grumpy old fart, just have a look.

I see why, i get it. A bit hesitant still due to the nature of the cables required, too many pins, too close to one another, too thin wires, too little space for proper insulation(s). But it's sound, they use what the industry already has to offer, so O.K., HDMI; and it makes sense, just for separating that bedamned clock alone and entirely at that.. leave some connections unused in between, separate left from right even more, makes sense.

This Kingwa dude, i like him :)
(if i typed the name wrong, no offense meant)

Have thus decided on going through with purchasing both DAC and DI from him; new experiments await me. For starters, forget HDMI, i'll do my own "L2S", using the same Oyaide cabling i use for other signal cables and am thinking some gold-plated Amphenol plugs (multi-pinned). So i can compare apples to apples.

P.S. I maintain however that nothing comes close to a good analog setup!
I had to say that, lol
P.P.S. One must also note i go through all this for a third, during-workhours-only subsystem. Totally reasonable and responsible attitude, right, it's why she loves me so much!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #4,015 of 5,351
Have already mentioned this in my precious few posts here, but am old; young at heart though!
With age comes a certain.. unwillingness? To accept or even consider new things :)

Partly this, partly my near exclusively working on analog (different budget, so unfair a comparison, but am mentioning it so you know whom you're talking to), i initially went /sigh on the whole L2S thing. You know, new trends again, they have to sell something "new", more software alchemies, etc etc.
But tonight i thought feck it, don't be such a grumpy old fart, just have a look.

I see why, i get it. A bit hesitant still due to the nature of the cables required, too many pins, too close to one another, too thin wires, too little space for proper insulation(s). But it's sound, they use what the industry already has to offer, so O.K., HDMI; and it makes sense, just for separating that bedamned clock alone and entirely at that.. leave some connections unused in between, separate left from right even more, makes sense.

This Kingwa dude, i like him :)
(if i typed the name wrong, no offense meant)

Have thus decided on going through with purchasing both DAC and DI from him; new experiments await me. For starters, forget HDMI, i'll do my own "L2S", using the same Oyaide cabling i use for other signal cables and am thinking some gold-plated Amphenol plugs (multi-pinned). So i can compare apples to apples.

P.S. I maintain however that nothing comes close to a good analog setup!
I had to say that, lol
P.P.S. One must also note i go through all this for a third, during-workhours-only subsystem. Totally reasonable and responsible attitude, right, it's why she loves me so much!
L2S? You mean I2S perhaps...

Get an 10M external clock and hook it up. You won't see much a difference in terms of analogness.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #4,016 of 5,351
L2S? You mean I2S perhaps...

Tell me a mere typing mistake is enough to trigger you :)

* Takes a special kind of person to correct a non native English speaking stranger in such a manner, but i will out of politeness assume this is mere strictness on your end solely out of sheer love for the application at hand and without any character-related traits attached; and thus explain that if you're Greek, i and l (γιώτα and λάμδα) can be confusing while typing in English, especially if rushing it.
I do appreciate the correction however, as an error is always an error :)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #4,017 of 5,351
Tell me a mere typing mistake is enough to trigger you :)

* Takes a special kind of person to correct a non native English speaking stranger in such a manner, but i will out of politeness assume this is mere strictness on your end solely out of sheer love for the application at hand and without any character-related traits attached; and thus explain that if you're Greek, i and l (γιώτα and λάμδα) can be confusing while typing in English, especially if rushing it.
I do appreciate the correction however, as an error is always an error :)
Not really.

Get ready for the painful burn-in. A real roller-coaster but worth the pain.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #4,018 of 5,351
l will report back.

Use ASIO drivers for the best results and diagnostic effect.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #4,019 of 5,351
Hi
Looking for some advice, regarding whether to go for the DI-20 or save and get the HE, I have a Auralic Aries G1 connected to an Accurate D1000 DAC, my DAC has I2S so would like to utilise
that.
Thoughts please and why would I buy the HE over the standard

cheers

Sean

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #4,020 of 5,351
l will report back.

Reminds me of a similar -- but opposite -- issue I had with a SMSL VMV D2, which probably has the same I2S pinout as the M400.
In my case I could only play PCM but no DSD over I2S as the DI-20HE does not have pins 14 or 15 connected that are needed to send the M400 the DSD flag (also called PCM/DSD mode). I returned the D2 for that reason. It seems that on your M400 the flag keeps set at DSD, but cannot be switched to PCM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back