Audio-GD DI-20
Jul 30, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,797 of 5,348
It is likely the best out there.
Hi Fred. When you have a minute could you share your thoughts on the related question I asked in the R7 thread.

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #3,799 of 5,348
I have a DI-20 non HE. I need to make a decision: Sell my R7HE Mk1 and DI-20 and buy a R7HE Mk2 or keep my R7HE Mk1 and buy a DI-20HE or Singer SU-6
Hi Fred. This is the question I referred to. Sorry for a moment I thought I had posted it in the R7 thread.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #3,801 of 5,348
Getting the mkii is best. And an ext. clock later. Consider the he7 as well if you don't need dsd.
Just to be sure I understand. If I am able to make the R7HE Mk2 happen, I will have to sell my R7 Mk1 and my DI-20, and I won't have budget to buy a DI-20HE.

So if I understand correctly: R7HE Mk2 > R7HE Mk1 + DI-20HE ?

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,803 of 5,348
Yes. Using a decent streamer, that is. Using a noisy pc, i can't tell.
Streamer is decent: Lumin U1 Mini upgraded. Removed SMPS and fitted 12V DC and LPS.

Source: Mac Mini. Also upgraded. Same as Lumin: Removed SMPS and fitted 12V DC and LPS.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #3,805 of 5,348
I am informed by some knowledgeable people in my audio circle that the SU-6 has a better clock than the DI-20HE and that it is a better DDC overall. Can anyone confirm which device has the better clock?

I am tending towards the DI-20HE mainly because of the feedback I read here, and also because I have a DI-20 non-HE which I enjoy very much - but would like to confirm this matter of which device has the better clock if someone can help.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #3,807 of 5,348
A better clock means nothing with weak sauce psu. 😉
I am powering from a PS Audio PowerPlant, and the SU-6 would be powered from a LPS if I had to purchase it. I am thinking the upgrade from DI-20 to DI-20HE is the right move.

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,808 of 5,348
I am informed by some knowledgeable people in my audio circle that the SU-6 has a better clock than the DI-20HE and that it is a better DDC overall. Can anyone confirm which device has the better clock?
Who are these people, maybe I know them? :)

SU-6 use US band Crystek CCHD-957 oscilators. If you follow diyaudio forum, you will find that Crystek oscilators real performance depends on the quality of power supply, for this issue there were considered inferior to the Japaneese brand NDK. Problem with NDK, was availability only in large quantities >1k (or 10k). While there are on-line dealers selling in small quantities, there is no assurance for getting the A grade batch. If you do DIY job, you can take a risk, verify every piece by measurements, but a reputable brand will seek a direct relationship with the company.

Audio GD was the first company who offered an unknown Chineese brand Accusilicon as the option along with Crystek CCHD-957. Time is passing, Accusilicon has received international recognition and now there is no CCHD-957 option. However if you insist on the CCHD-957 oscilators, it is a solder-in replacement. Email Kingwa, I am sure he wiil give you a favour at no extra cost. :)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #3,809 of 5,348
I am powering from a PS Audio PowerPlant, and the SU-6 would be powered from a LPS if I had to purchase it. I am thinking the upgrade from DI-20 to DI-20HE is the right move.

You may be able to tell some of the changes by trying the following:

1, don't use your PS Audio PowerPlant and listen to your system/music with DI20
2, Use your PS Audio PowerPlant and listen to your system/music with DI20

A few have got the DI20 first and then purchased the DI20HE, I believe all feedbacks were positive. I certainly have never heard from this forum that someone upgraded and regretted the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back