Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 30, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #2,401 of 5,353
@Thenewguy007 In Device Manager, before driver load, do you get consistent information when you unplug and replug USB to the Blaster? I think your PC is confused as it also sees unknown PCI devices.
Think the same. I use the following procedure when troubleshooting USB drivers:

1. Uninstall drivers. If drivers do not uninstall. Run the installer, then repeat. Remember that if device is still plugged-in, default drives will be re-installed immediately and may show as unknown devices. This is normal. It may be neccessary at this moment to remove all orphaned devices in Device Manager.
2. Make sure device is unplugged, reboot computer.
3. Run the installer. Only after installation is complete (or if installer is asking for) connect device, not earlier.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,402 of 5,353
Did anyone experiment making their own HDMI cable to connect the DDC to DAC? in the end of the day it's just a piece of cable, I reckon good Cat8.1 cable might work (those are good up to 2GHz), or a couple of twisted shielded pairs to an HDMi connector on both ends.

I just installed the AudioGD I2S board in the Amethyst, and I'm now sitting here baffled by the difference it makes even with a crappy and far too long HDMI cable (2 Meter).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,403 of 5,353
CAT 8 would work fine for HDMI I2S. At least on paper has the same 100 ohm impedance and wide bandwidth.

Audio GD DACs seem to prefer the shortest HDMI cables. A self-built cable, without connector covers, may provide shortest wires for my setup. Has me thinking... But have no complaints with my $15 0.5m molded Belden cable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-HDMI-...110194?hash=item2a8b1622f2:g:SGoAAOSwWbRd52dS.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,404 of 5,353
CAT 8 would work fine for HDMI I2S. At least on paper has the same 100 ohm impedance and wide bandwidth.

Audio GD DACs seem to prefer the shortest HDMI cables. A self-built cable, without connector covers, may provide shortest wires for my setup. Has me thinking... But have no complaints with my $15 0.5m molded Belden cable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-HDMI-...110194?hash=item2a8b1622f2:g:SGoAAOSwWbRd52dS.

against that price nobody can argue, I just haven't found HDMI shorter then a meter or so but once I find a flat HDMI in 0.3m or 0.5 m I'll try one as comparison.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,405 of 5,353
Wireworld makes 0.3m cables but they are just barely long enough to be workable. Used a WW silver starlight 6 0.3m cable for years ($250). The Belden cable sounds as good or maybe better. And Audio GD DACs f/w have evolved to no longer needing I2S MCLK. I2S cable lengths still seem to matter though but not as much as a year or two ago.

Oct 31, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,406 of 5,353
Good to know, I have read good things about Belden over many years. Being a DIY cable tinkerer for 30 years now it's a habit that is hard to control :wink:
I read somewhere Metrum also does not require MCLK, forgot to not connect it when rigging the I2S LVDS card but it seems not to matter, likley because it;s not connected internally although the Metrum I2S card has MCLK listed at pinout.

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #2,407 of 5,353
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,408 of 5,353
The Cat8.1 cable I'm using is tested up to 2Ghz, which is what it's specce'd for, I trust cable impedance will be as close to spec, I mean, it's made for server rooms.

HDMI connectors are ordered, we'll see what gives better results: the Moshen 8K flat HDMI cable I ordered, the CAT8.1 or neotech UP OCC twisted pairs in a shield per pair or twisted pairs of vintage silk insulated annealed copper in a shield per pair.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,409 of 5,353
Good to know, I have read good things about Belden over many years. Being a DIY cable tinkerer for 30 years now it's a habit that is hard to control :wink:
I read somewhere Metrum also does not require MCLK, forgot to not connect it when rigging the I2S LVDS card but it seems not to matter, likley because it;s not connected internally although the Metrum I2S card has MCLK listed at pinout.
The Belden fe-series is such a good cable. Impedance uniformity is so important, and they seem to have figured out how to achieve this. It's available in 0.5m. I2s is the way to go it seems, at least i can say that going to the r7he, it give the most direct sound, nothing is smoothed out. Always my favorite.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,410 of 5,353
I am honestly baffled, USB to S/PDIf was an improvement of like 5%, it;s there and it's nice but small, this is closer to 30% (if that makes any sense as it sounds more objective than it is) The difference is there where it hits home hardest,bass treble, midrange, overtones, clarity, original acoustics, decay, attack, slam, pace,details etc.... when communicating w Metrum I was informed that the Amethyst did not get I2S as option because the quality was not high enough....IMO they could easily market the Amethyst at close to double the original price when using I2S.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,411 of 5,353
The Belden fe-series is such a good cable. Impedance uniformity is so important, and they seem to have figured out how to achieve this. It's available in 0.5m. I2s is the way it to go it seems, at least i can say that going to the r7he, it give the most direct sound, nothing is smoothed out. Always my favorite.
problem is that Belden is US heavy, and S&H is more than the cable itself...but I found it and have ordered one....also need to connect my large computer monitor with a shorter HDMI cable so it won't go to waste.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,412 of 5,353
I am honestly baffled, USB to S/PDIf was an improvement of like 5%, it;s there and it's nice but small, this is closer to 30% (if that makes any sense as it sounds more objective than it is) The difference is there where it hits home hardest,bass treble, midrange, overtones, clarity, original acoustics, decay, attack, slam, pace,details etc.... when communicating w Metrum I was informed that the Amethyst did not get I2S as option because the quality was not high enough....IMO they could easily market the Amethyst at close to double the original price when using I2S.
From the di20, you get an well timed and noiseless signal that no integrated usb module can match. Sounstaging and layering are something else.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,413 of 5,353
problem is that Belden is US heavy, and S&H is more than the cable itself...but I found it and have ordered one....also need to connect my large computer monitor with a shorter HDMI cable so it won't go to waste.
Still a bargain. I got it under 20$ on amazon.ca. And it is clearly better than any other cable i tried for up to 40$. It does not have any shortcoming while the others i tried are a bit harsh in comparison.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #2,414 of 5,353
this will set me back closer to 40Euro's for a 60cm run but it's for science sake so tax deductable :wink: see how good the DIY experiments do against a good standard cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back