Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #2,371 of 5,353
Other fans of 3.993 out there?

I have been glued to my chair in the listening room every night since if i have flashed it. It's addictive. I am worried the memory foam i am sitting on will contract Alzheimer sooner than later. Etheral treble it has. So evident on this old Duke Ellington record i play two-three times a week.

For obvious reasons, we all need to evade these days. This hobby is quite the remedy until something better. Jazz musicians are the freest there are, so this is inspiring. They don't ask permission, they just are.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,374 of 5,353
I agree to the point of KingWa being an audiophile designer, which is rare as mostly designers are number crunchers. I am following what he is doing for quite a while now. I fail however to see that zero feedback amps are his innovation, they have been around for decades, close to a century now. Or were you indicating that his implementation is an innovation?

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #2,376 of 5,353
I agree to the point of KingWa being an audiophile designer, which is rare as mostly designers are number crunchers. I am following what he is doing for quite a while now. I fail however to see that zero feedback amps are his innovation, they have been around for decades, close to a century now. Or were you indicating that his implementation is an innovation?
Yes, as for power amps, what Kingwa calls linear fideality seems innovative to me . A design is a recipe, it the whole that matters. It has to have synergy between the design elements. This takes creativity and excellent focus on the target you are aiming at. So the beauty of a design is often in how you combine the elements. I am a sw designer myself.
With a non feedback amp, you have be clever to manage distorsion. The most important is to keep it very low in the upper range, where the human ear is most sensitive.
I think Kingwa has a huge preference for non feedback as an audiophile. My own experience is that they are the smoothest.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,377 of 5,353
I don't know which usb port you connect too. There are two types. The blue ones are usb3, try a usb 2. As someone said earlier, in volumio's backback menu, the i2s dac box should NOT be checked.

Thank you for the answers. I have checked with all four usb ports, with different Ropieee configurations, different Roon configurations, Volumio configurations, but haven't hit the right one yet....

Thanks again for all the answers.
After several attempts which included using a new Raspberry Pi, replacing the DI20 with my old Matrix SPDIF convertor, changing cables, all with the same result, I plugged in the Mac to the DI20 and could finally listen to music...
Any ideas on why the raspberry is not able to communicate to the DI20 (or the Matrix)?
Cheers

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,378 of 5,353
After several attempts which included using a new Raspberry Pi, replacing the DI20 with my old Matrix SPDIF convertor, changing cables, all with the same result, I plugged in the Mac to the DI20 and could finally listen to music...
Any ideas on why the raspberry is not able to communicate to the DI20 (or the Matrix)?
Cheers
Can't see anything but configuration. In volumio, there is a save button for each setting section. Be sure to press on it after changing something.

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,381 of 5,353
Cheers

Can you print a copy of the system config file and post it? This may answer some questions for why the Volumio does not work.

Oct 29, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,382 of 5,353
Other fans of 3.993 out there?

I have been glued to my chair in the listening room every night since if i have flashed it. It's addictive. I am worried the memory foam i am sitting on will contract Alzheimer sooner than later. Etheral treble it has. So evident on this old Duke Ellington record i play two-three times a week.

For obvious reasons, we all need to evade these days. This hobby is quite the remedy until something better. Jazz musicians are the freest there are, so this is inspiring. They don't ask permission, they just are.

I prefer V3.933 over V3.99. 3.9333 is fuller, richer and more engaging, whereas the 3.99 has a bit too sharp treble.

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #2,383 of 5,353
Yes, as for power amps, what Kingwa calls linear fideality seems innovative to me . A design is a recipe, it the whole that matters. It has to have synergy between the design elements. This takes creativity and excellent focus on the target you are aiming at. So the beauty of a design is often in how you combine the elements. I am a sw designer myself.
With a non feedback amp, you have be clever to manage distorsion. The most important is to keep it very low in the upper range, where the human ear is most sensitive.
I think Kingwa has a huge preference for non feedback as an audiophile. My own experience is that they are the smoothest.
I'm with you on zero feedback sounding better, feedback usually messes up phase coherency over the bandwith and human hearing is great at one thing....estimating distance which is done by comparing time travel differences between both our ears.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2,384 of 5,353
I'm with you on zero feedback sounding better, feedback usually messes up phase coherency over the bandwith and human hearing is great at one thing....estimating distance which is done by comparing time travel differences between both our ears.
It is more complicated. Phase coherency can be maintained by using high frequency devices. It still looks fine on the FFT measuring static sine wave (s), but response to the dynamic signal like music cannot be measured.

I have nothing agains a local feedback (within a single amplification device). Problem is with devices like opamps which have multiple amplification stages. A fedback signal arrives delayed against the input that cause some internal stages get saturated due to the fact that for a short time period there is no feedback at all. Normally overshot is seen on the output, but clever engineers have learned how to deal to reduce overshots. It doesn't change a fact that for a moment output do not follow the input. In result the sound is sterile, but unnatural and dark, there is nothing else we can hear around dominant notes.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2,385 of 5,353
Hi,
@sajunky : -What firmware level do run in Your DI20 or DI20HE. You seem to have a lot to share so I wonder about Your findings. Myself, I have been trying out the newer versions (3.933, 4.075 and 4.076) and I am finding the 75 and 76 a bit too crispy and clear in my rig. The a bit softer and fuller sounding 3.993 is a winner here. I am runnig the DI20 HE fed by a Mutec Ref SE120 masterclock. Do You also use an external XO?
/Jan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back