Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #2,086 of 5,351
Very good too. Similar, a little less 3d and with a bass that does not go as deep. Same as most of the firmwares. Except 4.07, the original, which was not as smooth using the external. And 3.98 and 3.99 to some extent.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,087 of 5,351
My findings with internal clocks using Parallel I2S out:

4.07beta3 = 9/10
3.93beta1 = 7.5/10
3.93beta2 = 9/10 - musical, relaxed, immersive, full, wet and organic sounding, has that story telling quality.
4.07beta4 = Same as beta 2.

* I got my unit 2 months ago, if it was equipped with the 4.07beta2 then it sounds exactly like 4.07beta4.

* For me it's a toss between the 4.07beta3 and the 3.93beta2.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2,089 of 5,351
I listed the checksum of the firmware for easy reference.

Firmware version; Checksum

DP-20_V3.93.jic ; 027EE2E8
DP-20_V3.93beta2.jic ; 027D8F98

DP-20_V4.07beta1.jic ; 0283C579
DP-20_V4.07beta3.jic ; 0283143F
DP-20_V4.07beta4.jic ; 0284D374

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #2,091 of 5,351
My favorite FW in my set-up with external clock so far has been 3.993. Hyper incredible detail, full bass, mega dynamic punch; - perhaps many would say it is sterile; and I would actually agree but once my ear got used to it I cannot so easily go back to smooth. Sounds NOTHING like the R2R style I have known for the last 10 years and I love it the way it is;- raw hyper detail and transparency with no smoothing effect.

I have not tested the new versions yet. I'm waiting for more reports using external clock. Maybe my tastes will change???

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,092 of 5,351
My favorite FW in my set-up with external clock so far has been 3.993. Hyper incredible detail, full bass, mega dynamic punch; - perhaps many would say it is sterile; and I would actually agree but once my ear got used to it I cannot so easily go back to smooth. Sounds NOTHING like the R2R style I have known for the last 10 years and I love it the way it is;- raw hyper detail and transparency with no smoothing effect.

I have not tested the new versions yet. I'm waiting for more reports using external clock. Maybe my tastes will change???
There is always an adaptation to make, we adjust to the sound.

I am not yet sure if that don't prefer the original. 3.93 to 3.93beta2 overall. For newer recordings, it's 3.93b2, no contest. For the old stuff, i will have to try 3.93 again.

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,093 of 5,351
I didn’t like V4.07beta1 at all (USB in and SPDIF out).

I’m not sure which firmware my DI20HE was shipped with (I guess it was V3.93beta1) but it was the most analogue and fluid, and sounded overall great.

Yesterday I tried V3.93beta2 and it sound very nice as well (USB in and SPDIF out). I will have to use this for a week and then compare it to V3.93beta1 before I can say which of the two versions of 3.93 I like the most.

Oct 8, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #2,094 of 5,351
Interesting to note that we kind of all have a problem here. The problem is we have to many options; all very very good ones.

If we feel that for some music or some moods we like "S" and some "P"- we just switch it in 5 seconds. If we feel like up-sampling or NOS- just switch it on your dac in 5 seconds. The option to enjoy these alternatives is easily and quickly adjustable at a touch of a button.

Now- it is true that switching FW in the DI can be done in around three or so minutes- but still- you need to hook it up to your PC. Just not practical to switch several times between songs or moods. Switching once or twice a week- perhaps is reasonable but not really to much more.

I was really hoping there would be one FW which was clearly the best. That hope does not seem likely to come to fruition.

The good news is that all the recent FW's are stunning and SUBSTANTIALLY better than the original FW;- so I guess just choose the one you like best and live with it happily. That is what I am planning to advise to myself.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,095 of 5,351
4.07b3 seems livelier (more punch) than 3.93b2. Otherwise, they are similar.

I like it better, but it's only after 5 minutes. The bass really stands outs. Seems like there is a noticeable gain in res. So this could well be my new favorite.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #2,096 of 5,351
Interesting to note that we kind of all have a problem here. The problem is we have to many options; all very very good ones.

If we feel that for some music or some moods we like "S" and some "P"- we just switch it in 5 seconds. If we feel like up-sampling or NOS- just switch it on your dac in 5 seconds. The option to enjoy these alternatives is easily and quickly adjustable at a touch of a button.

Now- it is true that switching FW in the DI can be done in around three or so minutes- but still- you need to hook it up to your PC. Just not practical to switch several times between songs or moods. Switching once or twice a week- perhaps is reasonable but not really to much more.

I was really hoping there would be one FW which was clearly the best. That hope does not seem likely to come to fruition.

The good news is that all the recent FW's are stunning and SUBSTANTIALLY better than the original FW;- so I guess just choose the one you like best and live with it happily. That is what I am planning to advise to myself.

I'm glad Kingwa spreads us with gifts cause "best" is subjective for each of us.

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2,097 of 5,351
For me, Wes Montgomery is the most enjoyable jazz musician ever. Why, i can't point any specifics. Smooth, crisp, expressive, not showing off, just there to share highly musical thoughts with people, graced by a wonderful talent.

4.07b3/i2s/parallel/external is the best combination ever for Wes. That's it for me, no more fw flashing.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #2,100 of 5,351
I haven't tried 4.07b3 but 4.07b4 has got the performers very localized with strict boundaries, less lateral reach, but more depth and dynamics. It can be so localized that sometimes the center image vocalist will sound like she's singing through a giant tube -- is this some DSP phuckery? Such pronounced separation is the hallmark of a clinical sound, but this is emotional and musical, and none of that coldness from 4.07b1. The volume at which performers used to jumble into confusion has just gone up.

You know the change is special when you're unexpectedly startled by a very familiar passage in a very familiar track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back