Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,831 of 5,351
Found the pi and did the same comparison. Same result. DI20HE alone was superior and it wasn't a slight difference. You can listen and immediately hear the difference. I am so confused!

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,832 of 5,351
Found the pi and did the same comparison. Same result. DI20HE alone was superior and it wasn't a slight difference. You can listen and immediately hear the difference. I am so confused!

Also, if you got a dirty pc, which most of them are, try to block the 5v pin on the USB then connect to the DI20HE. I would be using it like that.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #1,833 of 5,351
When you said DI alone, do you mean using PC as a input to the DI? The PC is better than Lumin or Rpi4, that’s crazy. I thought It was equal or less.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #1,834 of 5,351
Re asking the question: I've read that there are parallel & series mode. What is the consensus on which is better and why?
There is not consensus. Especially with 4.07b. Parallel is more detailed, accurate, less organic. With 4.07b, i prefer serial. With 3.93, i prefered parallel. Once 4.07b is completed, parallel should be on top in my setup. We'll see.

Aug 7, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #1,837 of 5,351
@smodtactical If you have a laptop laying around then try using that as a client (w/ and w/o P8) and the experience should be consistent with your rpi4 and lumin.

also I assume your gaming computer is a DLNA or roon server? I think JRiver has some horrific defaults for sharing audio (as if we were streaming to our phones and had limited bandwidth)

if JRiver is a server you should confirm there's no lossy compression going on there...
1596805561057.png

and if JRiver is a client, then you turn it off here...
1596805196963.png

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,838 of 5,351
My 2c.
Looooooong Burn in is required for the 20HE. The sound from the ACSS is better than the Std.
The sound is indeed amazing with Capital 'A'.
The Ultrarendu as a streamer was useless. Just the Mac Mini was all that was required.

I have a new Auralic Aries 2.1, which stock was not at par with the Mac Mini, but had some more fat in the low register....So I will not burn and burn the 2.1.

The 2.1 with the 20HE is better than no 20HE.
In 2 weeks time I will now if the 20HE is so good that it wants to go fully monty?

Indeed Kingwa is the King!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,839 of 5,351
My 2c.
Looooooong Burn in is required for the 20HE. The sound from the ACSS is better than the Std.
The sound is indeed amazing with Capital 'A'.
The Ultrarendu as a streamer was useless. Just the Mac Mini was all that was required.

I have a new Auralic Aries 2.1, which stock was not at par with the Mac Mini, but had some more fat in the low register....So I will not burn and burn the 2.1.

The 2.1 with the 20HE is better than no 20HE.
In 2 weeks time I will now if the 20HE is so good that it wants to go fully monty?

Indeed Kingwa is the King!
What would be full monty?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,841 of 5,351
What you be full monty?
I am dreading that just the 20HE with the Mac is better than (With) the Aries 2.1 streamer....

I also meant to say that I will 'Deep Burn' the Aries 2.1. I hope that will bring out its capabilities....

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #1,842 of 5,351
@ZERUNG nice speakers!
You have nice taste. :wink:
I also have a full crossover upgrade. Which is utterly important for these wonderful speakers!

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,843 of 5,351
I also have a full crossover upgrade. Which is utterly important for these wonderful speakers!

This is the 20lbs of 3way xover I stuck to each speaker (120 dB per octave slopes!)
For hookup wire I experimented with diff guage tinned copper from Duelund before returning to my favorite Belden 9497
1596831443064.png

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #1,844 of 5,351
I thought this may be of interest:
Just finished a fairly thorough critical listening comparison between my DI-20 USB rig and my CD transport, and seemingly against all odds the DI-20 one-upped the CD transport! Playing the same song at the same time on both systems into the Qutest DAC I was able to rapidly switch between inputs. The differences were very subtle. Both sounded almost identical with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING lacking on the DI-20 system. The differences I could discern were that the DI-20 system sounded modestly more true-to-life or organic, with a modestly larger soundstage. And not a bloated soundstage or anything of the like. This is no small feat I tell you, because my CD transport, though mid-fi is a very decent model and brand (Teac CD-P650B), with a very good Toslink optical cable directly to the DAC (this 1300 strand optical cable). By contrast the CD transport sounded ever-so 'fuzzy' like details were faintly 'smeared', something that can only be noticed with a fast A/B as it holds its' weight very well.

Along with feeding my DI-20 an improved USB signal with the help of both iFi Micro USB iPurifier 2 and Wyrd, I'm also using a state-of-the-art RCA cable. Recently I had a friend put together an RCA cable, DIY project to save vs. commercially available; using Neotech Nei-2001 UP OCC single/mono crystal silver cable which can without exaggeration be said to be the best wire in existence for electron transfer. Check out the review of this cable here, and mine used even better RCA connectors than theirs, also from Neotech. A large part of what made my DI-20 system finally overtake the CD transport could have also been due to the V4.07 firmware update, before which the transport had won the comparison. @smodtactical did you notice any improvements with the update?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #1,845 of 5,351
This is the 20lbs of 3way xover I stuck to each speaker (120 dB per octave slopes!)
For hookup wire I experimented with diff guage tinned copper from Duelund before returning to my favorite Belden 9497
Wow. Quite something @Wynnytsky . I bet it sound amazing?

Mine is a full cast copper from Jupiter Condenser.
The Autotransformer and the likes from Dave Slagle and the resistors from Duelund.

Still in a wine box...a travesty. soon I will transfer this inside the box.

Not many speakers allow this amount of flexibility and enjoyment?

IMG_4010 2.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back