Audio-GD DAC19/DSP vs VDA2 vs StageDAC
Mar 30, 2010 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Audio Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
I need some help on this one. The proposed setup is this:
MacBook Pro > ?Dac? > Meier Concerto > D2000/D7000/T1

I listen to most styles of music (Classical/acoustic/death metal/electronic/jazz etc.)

I am a bit of a bass-head and I prefer laid back trebles. Most importantly I prefer a musical rather than clinical sound.

Which DAC would suit me best?
Audio-GD DAC19/DSP (is the dsp worth it?)
CI Audio VDA.2 (can't afford VAC.1 just yet)
Corda StageDAC (some have reviewed as being slightly clinical)
Other? Nothing with tubes thanks.

Appreciate the help.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 44
Can´t help you with any comparison but the DAC 19 DSP is all but analytical. People mentioned their neutrality and such so I thought they would be on the dry side... But they are the most musical, euphonic DAC I have ever heard. German Maestro 435S which I enjoy for their neutrality but the can just simply be a bit to booring... Not with this! Plenty of bass way to much initially, but my brain seem to have adjusted to it now. I can run the DX 1000 on it without to much issues. If you are a bass head I don´t foresee any problem they may be exactly what you want. Mid range is VERY full it just have slightly laid back treble it seems.

So question is if the StageDac is better? I have no idea but I love this. I need to go back to my old Keces DAC later on to see how it stands. That can show form of digitis and be accused of being analytical definiatly. I would say it is disqualified by all your demands pretty much. In so many ways the exact opposite to this which is why it took quite a long time to adapt I suspect.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 44
Recently I had the same dilema, I was so finding it really hard to decide between the StageDAC, DAC-19, Music Hall 25.2, VDA.2, X-DAC, Havana, etc.

So many good reviews for all of the above...but after reading every thread I could find on all above mentioned DACs from Head-fi & other reputable websites I decided that the Audio-gd DAC-19 was the best value for the money. You will not find a magazine review of the Audio-gd equipment, but I think user reviews hold more weight. The members who have Audio-gd gear were so vocal and adament about the performance. I had to try it out.

Since I received my DAC-19DSP, I have been having a hard time turning it off. It is an incredible DAC especially for the money. The most important part of my system. Detailed, transparent, great extension and depth in all bands...most importantly the DAC-19 is very musical.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 44
If you fancy yourself a bit of a bass-head, you probably wouldn't like the VDA-2. While I certainly don't find it clinical, it has a very balanced sound that may not be to your liking if you're looking for something warmer.

Of course, the rest of your rig may be able to synergize with the VDA-2 to get you the sound you would like. And I, unfortunately, can't speak to the rest of your gear. Hopefully my 2 cents will be helpful to you.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 44
Thanks for your input oqvist, sk3383 and valens7. I think that the DAC19 and the StageDAC might be the last two contenders. I would appreciate a response from someone with a StageDAC.
StageDAC vs DAC19/dsp anyone?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 44
It would be cool to have a Meier stack
tongue.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 44
My thoughts, for what they are worth is, if you like instruments such as violins and piano to sound natural and not the least bit digital, your best bet is a PCM1704-based DAC, which means the DAC19 or a second-hand DAC from Parasound or Assemblage or the like. I don't really see the benefit of a bunch of switches to change the filters etc, as it's already known what the best settings are for (measurably) optimum output for a DAC chip, and the differences between settings will only likely result in subtle sonic changes. On the other hand, the Concerto, if it's as good as Skylab says it is, looks like the ticket if one wants a very good solid-state single-ended amp that doesn't break the bank. If I were starting again and had a similar budget I'd probably be looking at this combo myself.

As for the DSP, since receiving the Fun, I had a chance to switch input chips, and I have to say doing so resulted in a bigger difference than I imagined. The switch to the DIR9001 moved the sound quality up quite a notch. If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd go for the DSP as a result.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 44
Thanks Currawong! Looks like it is trigger time for me. In the true tradition of HeadFi I think the DAC19/dsp is going to be first. Sad thing is that I will have a wait a little while to get the concerto .... my poor little arietta will not know what hit it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 44
Actually I don't expect to be blown away first up. I have a feeling that the Arietta will become the weak link in the chain and limit the sonic "upgrade". I WILL be monstrously pissed if I get the Concerto and the DAC19+Concerto sounds "ok". We shall see
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be cool to have a Meier stack
tongue.gif

That would look pretty awesome, I really like the somewhat understated look of the StageDAC and the Concerto. That being said I think the Audio-GD DAC19 and C2 amp is a very good alternative. Whether or not one or the other combination is worth buying might be up to the shipping and import costs. I live in Denmark and have the pay 25% in VAT and 5% in customs of goods purchased out of the EU, and this might make Meier the better deal in Europe. Since the OP is down under in Australia this might be different and should be taken into consideration.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 44
I agree that a Meier stack, asthetically would look pretty sweet. Althought I have not heard their products personally I have no doubts the pair would sound pretty sweet together.

There are quite a number of members here that have the DAC-19 MKIII + C2 and they reviews speak for themselves.

I think either way you go you will be happy, but my vote goes for Audio-gd pair!!!

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 44
Afaik the Corda can be adjusted to change it´s soundsignature, i think the biggest + of the unit compared to the competition. The Audio GD is a very interesting piece too, it´s on my list of favourites too due to the good reads here in this forum. In a german forum somebody compared the Audio GD 19 DSP against a cambridge dacmagic and did´t notice any difference on the first listen.

So that´s the point confusing me because i read that the dacmagic is quite forward sounding, something i think that´s not ideal for my setup. The speakers this guy was using were B&W 683, dunno if they are enough to show the DAC´s potential.. could be that they are the weak point.

I use quite analytical speakers so i´m looking for a DAC wich doesn´t sound harsh at all and doesn´t compromise details. if Tube, OS, NOS or not doesn´t matter for me if the sound is "right". The Eastern Electric DAC seems to be a nice piece as well, sabre chip, optics, preamp function and switchable between tube and ss. I know that the Morningstar audio owner who sells EE will send an unit to 6moons soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back