Audio-gd DAC 19 (MKIV)
Mar 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #92 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, it is a really good DAC. I have had mine a week, and I have been totally blown away by it.

Thanks
wink.gif

I have also purchased the M2Tech hiFace.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #93 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am indeed - I am not sure if it is the 'best' way, though.

Hi Steve

Have you tried this with USB from your MacBook - is it even an option?

thanks

Tim

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #94 of 155
I just received these today and they are a big upgrade for me (coming from an internal sound card, HT Omega Claro+). Because of the DAC19, I I better understand what people mean by "analog-like," "neutral" sounding," and "musical" when describing the DAC-19.

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #95 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta say that the text sounds slightly like user "regal" on Head-Fi. But that's just my guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wasn't me, I had turned to 3SE AudioGD bliss when that was put up. Excellent review though I hate the DLIII which the reviewer favors over the 19MK3, to me the 19mk3 is miles ahead of the DLIII.

to change the subject:

I wonder if we should start a collection fund to get AudioGD the $25k license he needs to program HDCD into the DSP1?
Maybe we could start flooding M$ with letters asking that AudioGD be given a break for the good of all audiophiles ?

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #96 of 155
HDCD decoding can be done with windows media player 9 and up right? There's some plug-ins for other players that can do it too, maybe another option for audio-gd is to make a hard-drive based transport with something like foobar+hdcd decoder? Well, the easiest way is to just rip the hdcd data with the extra bits into flac which I heard some people say (but I'm not sure) will retain the benefits of hdcd.

Er wait, I just read somewhere you'll probably get sued using hdcd decoding software player
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #97 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmo11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Steve

Have you tried this with USB from your MacBook - is it even an option?

thanks

Tim

Hi,

I never have tried via USB actually - but it is indeed an option. I used the mini-toslink (optical out of my mac). At the moment I have it hooked up to an airport express via optical out.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #98 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HDCD decoding can be done with windows media player 9 and up right? There's some plug-ins for other players that can do it too, maybe another option for audio-gd is to make a hard-drive based transport with something like foobar+hdcd decoder? Well, the easiest way is to just rip the hdcd data with the extra bits into flac which I heard some people say (but I'm not sure) will retain the benefits of hdcd.

Er wait, I just read somewhere you'll probably get sued using hdcd decoding software player
tongue.gif

No the guy who cracked the code on the WMP9 and programmed the decoder found that it doesn't perform all the HDCD functions, only peak extend, no special dithering/filtering that the license buys you. I've tried it and it doesn't sound as good as the PMD100. Almost 100% of what I listen to is HDCD so its a bigger deal for me than most. Unless you are a Joni Mitchell or Grateful Dead fan you really don't need HDCD.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #99 of 155
I really want this DAC now
tongue.gif
I am going to have to save up for it. The DSP version would be nice, but damn expensive. At that price range, it puts it from a very good priced DAC to a pretty expensive one for me
frown.gif
DF would be under $600aud posted to Australia, where as the DSP would be closer to $800
frown.gif
I was planning on getting the Lavry DA10 coz the DA11 is way too expensive. Maybe I will settle on the DAC-19 now
biggrin.gif
If my Zero DAC gets me 70% of what I could achieve with the equipment I plan on using (FLAC>Zero>MAD Ear+ HD>DT880 600ohm), what would the DAC-19 get me? Would I really be able to tell much difference? TBH, I can't really tell a difference between my Qinpu A3 and MAD Ear+ HD with my HF-2. Not straight away which is what I'd like anyway.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #100 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want this DAC now
tongue.gif
I am going to have to save up for it. The DSP version would be nice, but damn expensive. At that price range, it puts it from a very good priced DAC to a pretty expensive one for me
frown.gif
DF would be under $600aud posted to Australia, where as the DSP would be closer to $800
frown.gif
I was planning on getting the Lavry DA10 coz the DA11 is way too expensive. Maybe I will settle on the DAC-19 now
biggrin.gif
If my Zero DAC gets me 70% of what I could achieve with the equipment I plan on using (FLAC>Zero>MAD Ear+ HD>DT880 600ohm), what would the DAC-19 get me? Would I really be able to tell much difference? TBH, I can't really tell a difference between my Qinpu A3 and MAD Ear+ HD with my HF-2. Not straight away which is what I'd like anyway.

One thing to consider is DSP filters will be available for years to come. Quality Silicone in Wire filters like the DF1704 and the PMD100 are obsolete, you may never have another chance to own a DAC built with these proven chips. I bought a dozen DF1704's when TI made them obsolete just because I know they will be worth 10x the price in a decade or so when people re-discover the golden age of digital like they did with tubes. Wish I had bought a few 100 PMD100's, I see these going for WE300B prices in a decade or so.

I haven't heard the DSP1 but if anyone could make a DSP filter right it would be AudioGD, however I think it would take a pretty high end amp and resolving headphones to make it worth the +$200, especially with the fantastic 3SE nearly the same price I think the 19DSP1 is a tough buy. You may want to wait for Slima's review as he traded up for one and has very good ears, I expect his review soon.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #101 of 155
Thanks for your reply
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, I am awaiting a review actually
tongue.gif
My personal choices would be:

Budget: Matrix Mini-i
Standard: DAC-19 DF
Expensive: DAC-19 DSP or DAC-3SE

Now, if someone were to compare the DAC-19 DSP to the DAC-3SE, it would all boil down to how much money I have at the time and whether or not I can make money to be able to afford the better one
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, the DSP doesn't SEEM as though it is worth it compared to the 3SE, but it is said to be a neutral dac, unlike the ref 3, which is what I need.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #102 of 155
Quote:

Thanks for your reply
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, I am awaiting a review actually
tongue.gif
My personal choices would be:

Budget: Matrix Mini-i
Standard: DAC-19 DF
Expensive: DAC-19 DSP or DAC-3SE

Now, if someone were to compare the DAC-19 DSP to the DAC-3SE, it would all boil down to how much money I have at the time and whether or not I can make money to be able to afford the better one
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, the DSP doesn't SEEM as though it is worth it compared to the 3SE, but it is said to be a neutral dac, unlike the ref 3, which is what I need.

When all else fails go for lbs per dollar, the 3SE wins in that department it is a friggin tank, and I love it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #103 of 155
That's why I am thinking about it. All that err...junk the the trunk must mean something good
biggrin.gif
I think I may skimp the DAC-19 DSP and go with the DAC-19 DF or DAC-3SE. Now to buy longer RCA cables and a bigger desk. Jeez, more money to spend
biggrin.gif
This is a pretty crappy desk anyway. Like $100 desk made from 1 inch really cheap wood
tongue.gif
I'd loooove a dark, very sturdy wooden desk
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #104 of 155
Quote:

That's why I am thinking about it. All that err...junk the the trunk must mean something good
biggrin.gif
I think I may skimp the DAC-19 DSP and go with the DAC-19 DF or DAC-3SE. Now to buy longer RCA cables and a bigger desk. Jeez, more money to spend
biggrin.gif
This is a pretty crappy desk anyway. Like $100 desk made from 1 inch really cheap wood
tongue.gif
I'd loooove a dark, very sturdy wooden desk
smily_headphones1.gif

I almost got divorced over the size of my 3SE when it arrived, it wouldn't fit my neat little headphone gear rack. By shear luck a guy had a beautiful wooden stand in his yard for free and the 3SE fit without a mm to spare. Got lucky with that. It didn't have good synergy with my SOHAII amp, but when I plugged it into my Stacker II it was like heaven on earth, I am finally done searching for a DAC. The past few years I have built several, including a clone of the $5000 Pass D1. The 3SE was better than anything I'd ever heard. I still love the 19mk3, but it doesn't have the fullness of the 3SE. Honestly I don't see how AudioGD sells the 19 or 3SE as cheap as they do, I literally couldn't build one for cheaper. Either way you are getting an unbelieveable bargain.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #105 of 155
Hmmm. Did you write a review on any? I need to read some more reviews. It would be good to hear the DAC-19 compared to the DAC-3SE. I wonder which will have more detail and body? Better synergy with Grado's (and Beyerdynamic if possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back